After Tarot by Lo Scarabeo

Sigrdrifa

Looking through the pictures that are available yet, I have to say I like them more and more. They give a new view to some of the cards. Yes, the fool fell, but he's hanging on and still enjoying the pleasures of life (a beautiful smelling rose) rather than caring for his posessions. The hermit seems to have found his spirit animals/soul guides. 2/cups shows the comfort we find in love and close friendships. 3/swords shows a wounded heart, but it will heal. 10/pents shows the heritage we receive from the home we grow up in.

But some cards (as in all decks) I'm not sure about yet. 7/wands is very similar to 5/wands now, especially because the not matching shoes are far less clear to see here. Devil (sex is bad) and lovers (eating the apple is bad) have become too biblical for my taste. Oh well, I'll probably end up getting this one anyway :)

Le Fanu

I just picked this up from my local shop so - yes - I now have it. They had it in stock and curiosity got the better of me. I really like it much more than I thought I might. I think there are other decks that paint the reader much more drastically into a corner than this one in terms of meaning. The artwork is very pleasant to look at. If one were a little tired of the RWS and finding it difficult to see cards afresh, this deck would be a real breath of fresh air. I like it. It might be gimmicky (I don't actually think it's any more gimmicky than great swathes of the tarot market) but I like it. It really feels like the RWS but with a slight, sometimes imperceptible tweak. It might not be a very esoteric approach, more narrative and plotting cards on a sort of curve, but I can work with that I think. The colour scheme and artwork are - as I said - very pleasant and that's quite a big thing for me. There's only one thing I don't like- there's an unnecessary comic gnome in the Page of Pentacles but otherwise all cards sing for me.

Sigrdrifa

Thank you for your reply!
there's an unnecessary comic gnome in the Page of Pentacles but otherwise all cards sing for me.
In wicca (and maybe in other pagan religions/world views as well) the elements are linked to creatures: earth (pents) has gnomes, air has sylphs, fire has salamanders and water has undines. Are those other creatures present (in pages or otherwise) as well?

Essjay

I've bought the deck - it should be with me tomorrow hopefully.

AntonK1111

I received my copy of After Tarot and I absolutely love it, it did not disappoint. I won't be using it just yet as I'm still connecting to my fairly new Albano-Waite and Smith-Waite Centennial cards but I just know when the time is right we will work together nicely!

Morwenna

I envision using it as an adjunct to the RWS, giving possible insight. I'd be tempted to lay out the RWS, then pull the corresponding cards from the After. I would probably do the same with the New Vision.

Le Fanu

I've realised that what I love about this deck, what most endears it to me is the colouring. It has a lovely vintage fairy book illustration tone to it - the sort of 1900 colouring that I feel the RWS should have but - with the printings we have - doesn't. Sort of autumnal and ochre-filled. Weirdly, the modern font doesn't jar for me in the way that it does with other decks that don't have PCS' calligraphy. But the colouring is very well chosen and makes it very pleasing to look at.

I'm so happy with this deck, after really thinking it wasn't for me at all. A not-quite-the-RWS that has renewed my love for the images. I have known these images since I was 13 and this is the first deck that has made me step back and love it again and see it afresh. Still think the Fool cards is a bit too heavy-handed compared to the rest of the deck but anyway...

starchild

After tarot

About to buy this deck but a friend bought it first and has shared her images with me tonight.
first i have to say i love the idea behind the deck, a step forward in time from the rider tarot. what happens just AFTER the even.
However, after inspecting her cards a few issues came to mind. First, lo scarabeo bought in Spain yet the deck was in English only.... hey what happened to lo scarabeo four language decks??
ok, the card stock was apparently very good as was the size and colors of the deck.

At first i couldn't work out the four of coins with the death approaching him, however, i soon realized that even with death approaching some people find money to be of up most importance, in fact I've had a lot of readings with people exactly like that card, so it made sence. I've met a lot of clients that not only want to be the richest guy in the cemetery but who will continue with the financial fight until the end.
so i loved this card-

The hanged man, seriously hes being helped?? i'm going to have to put a whole new perspective on this card yet i can already see it working.
The justice card was an almost tearjerker to me, finally someone has created a deck where the the justice and the 6 of coins are connected. yippieee for the reflections between major and minors.
The page of coins is horrid, almost like it doesn't fit in the deck, the artist didn't know what to do with him so added a small dwarf type image, horrid horrid horrid.

i was able to forgive when i saw the devil had the lovers enslaved, something that comes naturally for my mind to see and people rising up to heaven in the judgment card, yippieeee, a deck that talks of the judgement as the passing over to this world to the next and coming upon there final judgment, (my tarot students got this card)

however i'm not sure if i can forgive the hermit card... he has a dog or a wolf by his side and is holding onto a snake. if you got a pet then your not alone and this takes away the entire idea of the hermit being alone. it annoyed me so much.
My friend pointed out that the booklet suggested that we can be alone without loneliness, or something along those lines. but i'm not buying, the hermit should be alone on his journey, if not he turns into the fool who is taking the same journey but with more energy and a dog.

Will i still be buying the deck? hell yeh i cant wait, it has some amazing cards that really open ideas to the rider tarot. i cant wait to get my little bitty teeth into them like a vampire sucking on its next conquest. however someone is going to have to help me understand that darn hermit not being alone...

rwcarter

Moderator Note

A second thread on this deck has been merged with this longer active thread.

gregory

About to buy this deck but a friend bought it first and has shared her images with me tonight.
first i have to say i love the idea behind the deck, a step forward in time from the rider tarot. what happens just AFTER the even.
However, after inspecting her cards a few issues came to mind. First, lo scarabeo bought in Spain yet the deck was in English only.... hey what happened to lo scarabeo four language decks??
They don't usually have any kind of titles on any more. I would guess that the "English only" is because it starts from an almost Waite/Smith image and carries on, so the text mimics the original.