Astrology books

Belinda2

Hi I am very interested in learning astrology and being able to write my own chart. I have seen the book Astrology For Yourself: How to Understand and Interpret Your Birth Chart: A workbook for Personal transformation by Douglas Bloch. What do you think of this book? Do you know of any good books for someone who is just starting out. Thank you for your help

Minderwiz

The main author of this book is Demetra George, a highly respected Astrologer, who started out following the psychological approach, then took up asteroids and then shifted to a traditional approach. She's now trying to synthesise both traditional and modern approaches.

This book was written in 2006, it has quite a lot that is non controversial and useful. There are also bits that are controversial, especially in relation to the Asteroids, which are not universally used. It's written from the then dominant approach, that of seeing Astrology as concerned primarily with psychology and personality rather than objective prediction of events. If this is what you are primarily interested in, you will find this book both informative and interesting.

All that I would ask is that you realise that Astrology extends beyond what is described in this book,(as is always the case with any introductory book), And there are different ways of looking at it than as an adjunct to psychology.

Drleolove

Go to cafeastrology.com They have a list of really good books and they will calculate your birth chart.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

decan

In order that you realize there is no concensus with regard to astrology, I am wondering if a book which depicts astrology practice from a historical point of view could be or not relevant for you.
Moreover I don't know if such a book exists in english.

Belinda2

Thank you for all your information and help. I went ahead and ordered the Astrologers Handbook based on a review than I will go from there, want to start slow .

Barleywine

The Astologer's Handbook by Sakoian and Acker is one I still use in natal practice, although I focus more on horary astrology these days. If you want an accessible (rather than academic) modern take on traditional methods that sheds a lot of light on where it all came from, there are a couple of good ones:

On the Celestial Spheres by Avelar and Ribeiro
Astrology, A Comprehensive Guide to Classical Interpretation by Kevin Burk

Belinda2

The Astologer's Handbook by Sakoian and Acker is one I still use in natal practice, although I focus more on horary astrology these days. If you want an accessible (rather than academic) modern take on traditional methods that sheds a lot of light on where it all came from, there are a couple of good ones:

On the Celestial Spheres by Avelar and Ribeiro
Astrology, A Comprehensive Guide to Classical Interpretation by Kevin Burk

Thank you I will have to check them out