Lenormand Starter Deck Recommendations - Please :-)

Tag_jorrit

I agree, that's one pet peeve of mine, I really don't like to see objects that were originally the center of attention on their card being shrunk down and held/worn by a person.

That's an interesting thought, one might do the same with the various mountains in the Dondorf.

Clearly some of the meanings to the cards have expanded over the years, with different meanings associated with various "schools" but in the PL sheet there's no mention of Mountain having an effect on other cards.

However, there is a reference in the meanings of the Tower, and a couple of other cards, about if it's surrounded by clouds, which appear in a couple of other cards in the Dondorf, Piatnik, and Red, Blue, White Owl decks. Of course, this relates to reading a GT using the method of distance and probably wouldn't apply to laying lines.

It might be worth referring to the sheet occasionally when attempting a GT to see the original thoughts on the cards used within that spread.

The PL sheet is still available to download and print on my store site.

Teheuti

Some of the modern card depictions have more to do with modern meanings than the original ones. I agree, periodically go back to the original meanings as a cross-check to your readings so that they don't get too fanciful.

So I prefer a deck that emphasizes (or at least doesn't contradict) the original meanings. For instance:

The Tower was originally long-life and happy old age. There's nothing about isolation or separation in the original concept. So my first thought when I see the card is longevity or taking the long-view or higher perspective on something. (I also use it for large buildings, corporations, institutions, etc., in contrast to House.)
1846: "Tower announces a long life and happy old age, but surrounded by clouds, it announces a disease, even depending on the circumstances also death."

BTW, remember that the original text uses "surrounded by clouds" to refer to unclear images found in coffee-cups - so, in many cases, it really means surrounded by negative cards.

Birds originally had nothing to do with communication. It was difficulties, i.e., temporary worries, stress - the idea of gossip is not that far from the original. Far away, in a GT, it is a 'happy trip,' which can often be seen as a vacation or weekend getaway. In the Game of Hope one was sent to it as a trip to the Canary Islands! (BTW, I do use it for phone calls and face-to-face communications, too.)
1846: "Birds means difficulties that one will have to withstand, but of short duration. Far from the person, this card is the sign of a happy trip."
Added: So the number of Birds on the card is not relevant to the original meaning.

G6

Titania's Fortune Cards

I started with Titania's Fortune Telling Cards, the cards are so simple! the symbols are brightly coloured or on some of the cards are polarised (it's slightly pop arty). It comes in a set with a book with it. I found it great as a beginner and it has nothing else on the cards which clutter it. for a long time it was my deck with the most accurate readings. In the last year I feel it's too simple, I like quite artistic Lenormands now but I would recommend it.

I wound up getting this set thanks to the AWESOME trade thread! I do enjoy the simplicity of it and the large graphics that give it an immediate feel. I am very happy with this deck and book set as my first! i'm sure I will add others at some point though... :)

Thanks for the recommendations! :)

Teheuti

Please be aware that the Titania's book is a completely non-standard approach to Lenormand. Some of the card meanings are totally made up and have nothing to do with the standard way of reading Lenormand. Don't expect other Lenormand readers to understand where you are coming from if you use her approach.

If you want to learn traditional Lenormand, then I recommend Andy Boroveshengra's kindle ebook (recently revised and expanded): Lenormand Thirty Six Cards which temporarily is selling at an extremely reasonable price at amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Lenormand-Thirty-Six-Cards-2015-ebook/dp/B010EAA5YQ/
You can use Titania's cards with it.

AquaPeacock

My first Lenormand

My first deck was the The Gilded Reverie Lenormand by Ciro Marchetti. I bought this deck before I began to read tarot or ever bought a tarot deck. I thought the colors were deep and the images were smooth and detailed. It may not be your style, but its just a suggestion.

G6

My first deck was the The Gilded Reverie Lenormand by Ciro Marchetti. I bought this deck before I began to read tarot or ever bought a tarot deck. I thought the colors were deep and the images were smooth and detailed. It may not be your style, but its just a suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion! :) BUT, I'm not a fan of Ciro Marchetti's work.

G6

Please be aware that the Titania's book is a completely non-standard approach to Lenormand. Some of the card meanings are totally made up and have nothing to do with the standard way of reading Lenormand. Don't expect other Lenormand readers to understand where you are coming from if you use her approach.

If you want to learn traditional Lenormand, then I recommend Andy Boroveshengra's kindle ebook (recently revised and expanded): Lenormand Thirty Six Cards which temporarily is selling at an extremely reasonable price at amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Lenormand-Thirty-Six-Cards-2015-ebook/dp/B010EAA5YQ/
You can use Titania's cards with it.

Thank you Teheuti! :) I needed a reference book for lenormand and this one is super affordable!!! I didn't know that about the book with this set.

G6

Burning Serpent Oracle and Lenormand de Marseilles

Just got Burning Serpent Oracle and Lenormand de Marseilles also! :)

The Lenormand de Marseilles seems more of a traditional lenormand deck, so that's cool. Cards were a little smaller and thinner than I had hoped, but I guess they will be good for full spreads.

Burning Serpent Oracle is AWESOME! Perfect size and thickness and of course Robert M. Place's artwork is AMAZING! Luving this deck!!! :)

Girl Archer

I am still looking for one, I looked at all of these recommended but somehow none of them struck a chord with me. I rather liked the vintage and stylized feel of Under the Roses Lenormand. Is that a deck for beginners or slightly advanced? How about the Silhouettes Lenormand by the very same creators? I liked Robert Place's illustrations but for some reason, I am unable to connect to some of the images. Does it matter terribly that the Rider card should feature a woman? In Ciro's Gilded Reverie oracle, I think it shows a woman coming in on a horse...

Help me pick a good, stylish Lenormand deck that sticks to the basics too and goes along with the old as well as contemporary meanings. A stylized multi purpose Lenormand with a vintage feel, I guess is what I am asking your help finding :)

P.S. Cost is equally important, so if I could find something for a max of $35-40 including shipping to India, that would be really lovely.

Thanks. Be blessed and stay happy :heart:

-G.A.