Book is in German...I have a question...

Amg182

I bought my deck, Lenormand Wahrsagekarten off Amazon. It was only the deck, no book. So, I ordered the matching book. It's in German & I've been making (rough) progress translating it.

The book doesn't take into account card order when giving combinations. Ex: Rider + Bear is the same as Bear + Rider. Here is my question. Is this part of the German method of reading?

I posted earlier about why I ordered the book, not knowing what the various corner symbols meant was making me batty. The symbols in one corner are planets, houses & zodiac signs with some other astrological signs. The symbols on the other two corners are (I think) moon phases. I haven't gotten completely through it yet. Thank you

Amg182

the definition shown for Bear is "Good Friend. It is the counterpart to Snake."

This is slow going but interesting. There've been a couple of typos, nothing major. The only downside is that it doesn't seem to address the moon phase symbols AT ALL, at least that's what I think they are.

DownUnderNZer

If the German system...

BEAR

1) Family like mother or father.
2) Strong. Controlling.
3) Bulky Build. Large. Overweight.
4) Stomach. Digestive system.

Look for an English book perhaps or source info online as there is more now than 10 years ago. :)

Learn the individual basic meanings first then combos.

Some combos have similar meanings like: heart/snake - snake/heart...cheating or unfaithful in the love department.

Depends...

the definition shown for Bear is "Good Friend. It is the counterpart to Snake."

This is slow going but interesting. There've been a couple of typos, nothing major. The only downside is that it doesn't seem to address the moon phase symbols AT ALL, at least that's what I think they are.

Amg182

I was just hoping the book would tell some info about the moon symbols. It seems to mention them & then, that's it, nothing about how to interpret. Why put them on there in the first place then, when that corner could have been used for a playing card insert. I finally gave up & skipped to the layouts.

Teheuti

I've never heard of moon phases being associated with the cards, but individuals have mucked around with the cards since almost the beginning. Most of these experiments didn't stick, which is why the Lenormand system is so exciting. The meanings go back to the 18th century - almost unchanged except to fill in a few missing areas (work/career) and add modern associations to the lexicon.

If you want to really explore the root system then I highly, highly recommend Anthony Louis' kindle ebook. I think it should be on every Lenormand reader's bookshelf:
http://www.amazon.com/Lenormand-Symbols-Exploring-Origins-Images-ebook/dp/B00J7229O2/

MandMaud

Amg182, could you scan a few of the cards to show us? I'm sure someone would recognise the symbols. :)

If you want to really explore the root system then I highly, highly recommend Anthony Louis' kindle ebook. I think it should be on every Lenormand reader's bookshelf:
http://www.amazon.com/Lenormand-Symbols-Exploring-Origins-Images-ebook/dp/B00J7229O2/

Teheuti, have you ever TRIED having an ebook on your bookshelf while you read something else on the kindle? Honestly. :rolleyes:

Teheuti

Teheuti, have you ever TRIED having an ebook on your bookshelf while you read something else on the kindle? Honestly. :rolleyes:
I don't understand your question - my Kindle is set up with a "bookshelf" format - making it easy to see what is on my "shelves". The Anthony Louis book is only available (as far as I can determine) for Kindle, which can be read on any computer/pad. The text has been updated twice, which is automatic, via amazon. The Table of Contents is all hyperlinked making it easy to get to sections desired. I consider my kindle apps to be an extension of my library - that I can carry with me everywhere.

MandMaud

I don't understand your question - my Kindle is set up with a "bookshelf" format - making it easy to see what is on my "shelves". The Anthony Louis book is only available (as far as I can determine) for Kindle, which can be read on any computer/pad. The text has been updated twice, which is automatic, via amazon. The Table of Contents is all hyperlinked making it easy to get to sections desired. I consider my kindle apps to be an extension of my library - that I can carry with me everywhere.

I was thinking of bookshelves attached to the wall of your room! There goes my attempt at wit. :laugh:

My kindle is the Kindle3 (keyboard) - no pretty covers to be seen on its screen. My excuse. Even if it had the bookshelf feature I'd probably stick with list view, but if it did I'd have realised what you meant!

MsRed

I bought my deck, Lenormand Wahrsagekarten off Amazon. It was only the deck, no book. So, I ordered the matching book. It's in German & I've been making (rough) progress translating it.

The book doesn't take into account card order when giving combinations. Ex: Rider + Bear is the same as Bear + Rider. Here is my question. Is this part of the German method of reading?

I posted earlier about why I ordered the book, not knowing what the various corner symbols meant was making me batty. The symbols in one corner are planets, houses & zodiac signs with some other astrological signs. The symbols on the other two corners are (I think) moon phases. I haven't gotten completely through it yet. Thank you

I took a quick look at my German Lenormand book which came with the first deck I purchased. There is absolutely no mentioning of card combinations in there. So maybe this is a German approach to reading this oracle, both authors seem to be German.
I must admit that the book was not in the least helpful in learning how to work with a Lenormand deck. Reading Rana George's "The Essential Lenormand" opened my eyes!

Amg182

I'm using Iris Keppner's "The Parlor of Sibyll", English edition. Much easier to understand & she does touch on astrology, which my cards have symbols for. Also, my daily card readings seem to be in sync with her meanings. So, I'm going to use her stuff to learn by. Thanks for commenting.