Decks You Wish You Hadn't Bought?

gregory

Sod teenagers. DM is BRILLIANT and wasted on them. So I am posting in the wrong thread. Toodlepip !

AineFoley

Modern Medieval tarot

But back on topic - the Modern Medieval really hurts my eyes. I thought I would love it, being a medievalist and all, but can't bring myself to use it because I think it's ugly!

Glass Owl

AineFoley said:
But back on topic - the Modern Medieval really hurts my eyes. I thought I would love it, being a medievalist and all, but can't bring myself to use it because I think it's ugly!
Maybe you could try sprucing it up -- or is it beyond help? :)

214red

Deviant moon, i couldnt bring myself to undo them from plastic wrapping they repelled me soo much.
Thoth, just couldnt

AineFoley

Glass Owl said:
Maybe you could try sprucing it up -- or is it beyond help? :)

Oh I think it's beyond help - the images just don't speak to me. I'll hang on to it for a while and see if it grows on me, I suspect it won't though...

Carla

214red said:
Deviant moon, i couldnt bring myself to undo them from plastic wrapping they repelled me soo much.
Thoth, just couldnt

Wow, that is amazing. I think I'd be the same way about Deviant Moon, though. I think I'd even be hesitant to open the box!

greatdane

Just goes to show...

how different decks affect readers in such very different ways. It's obviously about us, and not the deck, and what in us feels what we do and why. No matter what type of deck, without our input and feelings, they're all just decks of cards.

Maybe we have to have the tactile and immediate experience of a deck before we know for sure how we will FEEL, and if it's a keeper, otherwise it would seem we would always be able to tell just from the images we see online.

quintessence

Actually, I find Sacred Rose to be ultimately more frightening than Deviant Moon. True, when I first received the DM I smothered it in crystals and bathed it in sunlight for a few days. But when I finally tried an Introduction to Your Deck reading, it was warm, funny, inciteful, and even cuddly. We all have a certain amount of dark things we bury deep. This deck has called a couple out for me (that hermit is bizarre in its ability to do this, as is the lovers card) which while painful to acknowledge and deal with, wasn't really frightening at all. And in the end it strengthened me on several levels.
So I have to say at this point that I'm not thrilled that I bought the Sacred Rose, but I am very pleased with Deviant Moon. I felt compelled to post this for others perhaps to get past their fears in whatever way works for them and give the deck the chance to prove itself to them.

Vesper

I'm wishing I hadn't bought the Vampires Tarot of the Eternal Night. It was an impulse purchase (damn you, Amazon!)

My immediate first impression when I saw the cards online was: no, I won't like it. I should have listened to myself. The images look like screen shots from a computer game, and I never like that kind of artwork. The whole deck just irritates me no end. What makes it worse is that I bought the deck and book set, and I hate the book, too.

Even the title bugs me: Vampires Tarot of the Eternal Night. Shouldn't there be some punctuation in there?

The outer box is kind of nice, though, and I can see how cool the new Quantum is going to look, with selected sections highlighted in varnish coat. It's not quite a 3D look, more like it just gives extra depth.

greatdane

Ahhh, Amazon!

I wonder how many impulse purchases it's been responsible for! Click! At least with most purchases it can give you time to reconsider and regain some sanity and delete! Not so of all online sites....