My New Playing Deck

scaphio

I've recently been introduced to the game of Tarot. As such, I've decided to create a deck--based on the Rider-Waite concept--to be of use both as a tarot deck (for those who understand the traditional meanings of the cards) and as a deck of playing cards. Although my art is crude, I think it might be a useful deck. Once it's done, I want to try a few readings to see how well I've bonded to it: it seems the best way.

AJ

One thing I do to familiarize myself with a new deck is take the courts and minors and play solitaire. Adds a zing to this old simple game and is one more way to enjoy my cards while learning.

Welcome to the site!

wheeloffortune

Sounds like fun! It seems that as of now, the Marseilles is the best for playing-card type games, since it seems to be the prototype of both the Tarot and playing cards in genenral, while the Rider-Waite-Smith is designed specifically for divination.

Anyways, good luck to you. I like watching people play card games! ^__^

Allah-u-Abha (God is great),
Wheel of Fortune.

rebecca-smiles

scaphio said:
to be of use both as a tarot deck (for those who understand the traditional meanings of the cards) and as a deck of playing cards.

Do you know the 'game' of tarot, by any chance? I've heard of it but never seen it played. Anyway, creating a deck sounds like a good way of getting intimate with the meanings. Let us know how you are progressing :)

krysia322

Actually, I've been using Tarot decks to "play Solitaire" for about 13 years. I feel I get the best results when I play "Canfield" (I believe that's the one). I keep the Majors in play, and have modified the solitaire game slightly to accomodate the Major Arcana.

I began laying spreads this way when I realized (with a regular deck of playing cards) that frequently the same cards would reappear in the same (or nearly so) places after the game was done...

scaphio

Thanks, all!

It is really quite a thrill to write one's own deck. Initially, I designed the cards to play the French-rule Tarot. However, especially for the pips, I followed the Rider-Waite ideas. My cards (because I can't draw people to save my life) are all either flowers (major arcana) or stylized swords, wands, coins and cups (minor arcana). Anyway, having conceived and drawn every card in the pack, this deck is dearer to me than anything I know! It speaks to me more intimately, perhaps because we know each other better than anyone!