Voyager - Which One to Buy Today?

ana luisa

We've been having a debate about trimming at my weekly Voyager study group. Although the Voyager is marginally Thoth-based, James Wanless came up with quite a few alternative titles and descriptors that make learning the new system essential to use the deck as intended. Cutting them off to eliminate conflicts with existing systems kind of misses the point. But I agree the cards do look amazing, even if the person did have to hand-write some information on the face of the cards. The main problem I have with the borders is that the titles don't photograph well at all, so if I want a usable picture of a spread I have to overwrite the titles by hand on a scan of the photo.

Point taken, Barleywine :) Mind you, I do not intend to dismiss the creator's intentions and goals for his deck. The Voyager is one of my workhorses but I managed to work it with the awful borders. However, I know people who could only "get" the messages by eliminating them. I wonder why they chose such color. Even black would be ok...

CharlotteK

James Wanless came up with quite a few alternative titles and descriptors that make learning the new system essential to use the deck as intended. Cutting them off to eliminate conflicts with existing systems kind of misses the point.

Yes, I totally get this. I very much like the titles and descriptors that he came up with, I am enjoying reading the book and studying the imagery alongside the descriptor. I will struggle to learn it though, my memory is appalling and things like this don't sink in easily with me.

I may experiment with trimming and then adding info to the face of the card myself. Perhaps the way to go is to keep the keyword but add a small icon/code for the tarot suit/number as a reminder, in one corner, perhaps with a fine gold pen or something. It'll probably still look better. What on earth were they thinking with that green??

Barleywine

Yes! Black would be perfectly acceptable! A 70s bathroom, avocado green, not so much.

Haha, my house was built in 1973 and has the avocado-green bathroom fixtures. Maybe I could tile my floor with the bordered Voyager cards and trim a second deck to use? I just bought a back-up deck for $6.50 new from an Amazon reseller.

CharlotteK

Maybe I could tile my floor with the bordered Voyager cards and trim a second deck to use?

Mounted on cork tiles, and then varnished over, that would look phenomenal!