Eight of ghosts?

Jeff0253

I've been reading the interesting Manga called Tarot Café. Usually the protagonist draws the traditional cards, albeit oddly illustrated. At one point though she draws an "Eight of Ghosts." Anyone have any idea where this comes from and what it might signify?

Thanks,

Jeff

rwcarter

Haven't read that series, but my first thought for Ghosts would be Air as they're often seen floating and/or are there but aren't like air. Assuming there is an interpretation given in the book, does it seem to correlate with the 8 Swords?

Jeff0253

Assuming there is an interpretation given in the book, does it seem to correlate with the 8 Swords?

She says "This card symbolizes discarding what one has gained and growing from failed love." And that's it. The picture looks similar to the eight of cups, with a figure walking away up a path while the moon looks down and eight ghosts look on, one from a pool of water, which is cups-like. The man's staff has a Jack-o-lantern on it-- and a black cat is at his feet. The "moving on" theme is also like Cups VIII.

But elsewhere in the text she draws regular cups cards.

Padma

could it be from LoS Ghost Tarot? The suits are as normal, but maybe they used the deck and changed the suits? Lisa Hunt also has a Ghost Tarot out - I do not have either, so I cannot tell you about the drawings...

There is also a song track by NiN http://www.nin.wiki/8_Ghosts_I but that is how they named all the songs - tracks one through etc. ETA but maybe the song speaks of "discarding what one has gained and growing from failed love"?

ETA x 2 that NiN album is completely instrumental - so no lyrics...but the darkness of the card description and feeling/meaning of the card does make me think of NiN...

Jeff0253

could it be from LoS Ghost Tarot? The suits are as normal, but maybe they used the deck and changed the suits? Lisa Hunt also has a Ghost Tarot out - I do not have either, so I cannot tell you about the drawings...

There is also a song track by NiN http://www.nin.wiki/8_Ghosts_I but that is how they named all the songs - tracks one through etc. ETA but maybe the song speaks of "discarding what one has gained and growing from failed love"?

Thanks for the hints. I'll check it out!

Curious Dragon

That sounds like a card from the Halloween Tarot. In it the Cups are Ghosts, the Wands are Imps, the Swords are Bats, and the Pentacles are Pumpkins. It's a pretty good deck. :)

Jeff0253

That sounds like a card from the Halloween Tarot. In it the Cups are Ghosts, the Wands are Imps, the Swords are Bats, and the Pentacles are Pumpkins. It's a pretty good deck. :)

That would make sense then, since it looks the most like an eight of cups card! I think ya got it :)

Padma

I found the image for the card online, by searching google images with the deck name and card name/number. Curious dragon sure did get it right! :thumbsup: the card features the ghosts in and by the lake, and the man walking away from them has a black cat at his feet, and a jack-o-lantern on his staff :)

(I love a good mystery, and the resolution part, too!)

Jeff0253

Yup, Aeclectic Tarot does it again!

Curious Dragon

Funny thing is, I only have around ten decks (I really must count them). That's one of my favourites, though. I love that the black cat is in every card.