Linestrider or Wild Unknown

UniversesCollide

Haha! Did you just order both? Maybe I should wait for your comparison, lol!

Yes I did. If you still need it, I'll happily add my take on them once I open them up and have a look. I can't make any promises as to how detailed I can get in short time or when I'd be able to give a deeper comparison.

G6

Linestrider!

For me, Linestrider is a much better reader. The art can be a little same/same through the deck, but as with any great deck, there are many small details and symbols within the images. I like the mix of animal and human subjects which (in my collection at least) makes this a unique deck. I consider it a RWS based deck, so if you read that system you will be off to a good start with LS. I also love the book. There are many interactions noted which frequently come up in spreads and I find the extra insight applicable and educational.

I have the 2nd edition WU. It's so popular and I'd say it's "the" trendy deck. However, I just can't seem to get in deep with it, images feel flat. I didn't buy the book

I know, I havent been into the trendy decks because they are usually indie and expensive. The animal thing hasn't worked for me in the past. I loved the Wildwood Tarot, but had to ditch it because all the court cards were animals. I'll keep waffling about these decks. I should actually get some that are on my wishlist instead.

Michellehihi

You will enjoy them both! The white space on the Linestrider cards make the images very soothing and calming, a feeling I don't have when looking at the Wild Unknown.

G6

Yes I did. If you still need it, I'll happily add my take on them once I open them up and have a look. I can't make any promises as to how detailed I can get in short time or when I'd be able to give a deeper comparison.

Totally, let us know! ;-)

UniversesCollide

My decks arrived. I just went through the Major Arcana of both decks side by side, adjusting as needed since WU is, I'm pretty sure, Marseilles based. I don't think I'll ever do that again with these two decks, it was too much powerful imagery all at once. I've done it with other decks but come to think of it, I think I've always been familiar with at least one of the decks involved. So, maybe I'd do it again after I've had separate time with both decks to let my mind wrap around them at a natural pace. I didn't go through the minors side by side but did have a look through them separately once I took a few breaths.

I have barely scratched the surface and go back and forth on which one I like better. Both decks are beautiful and haunt me in their own ways. If I had had the chance to look at them both the way I just did before buying, I'd have still gotten both to be honest.

I think if you prefer R-W style decks then Linestrider is your deck absolutely. If you like Marseille and Thoth styles or would like to expand then Wild Unknown sure is an interesting deck to work with. I'm happy to have them and think they will have amazing things to say but neither one will ever make my list of decks to recommend to new tarot students.

G6

My decks arrived. I just went through the Major Arcana of both decks side by side, adjusting as needed since WU is, I'm pretty sure, Marseilles based. I don't think I'll ever do that again with these two decks, it was too much powerful imagery all at once. I've done it with other decks but come to think of it, I think I've always been familiar with at least one of the decks involved. So, maybe I'd do it again after I've had separate time with both decks to let my mind wrap around them at a natural pace. I didn't go through the minors side by side but did have a look through them separately once I took a few breaths.

I have barely scratched the surface and go back and forth on which one I like better. Both decks are beautiful and haunt me in their own ways. If I had had the chance to look at them both the way I just did before buying, I'd have still gotten both to be honest.

I think if you prefer R-W style decks then Linestrider is your deck absolutely. If you like Marseille and Thoth styles or would like to expand then Wild Unknown sure is an interesting deck to work with. I'm happy to have them and think they will have amazing things to say but neither one will ever make my list of decks to recommend to new tarot students.

Dang, that was fast! Interesting that you think WU is more Marseille and Thoth vs. Linestrider RWS. I haven't heard that before. What do you think of the difference in printing, cardstock, book etc?

UniversesCollide

Keep in mind this is my take after a quick comparison and visual scan. Unfortunately, I won't be getting a chance to give them serious study or comparison for a while. I did notice that I liked the WU cardstock better, had a nice matte look and they felt nice in my hands. Thin, flexible yet felt strong and solid. The Ls felt thicker and less flexible yet already seemed to show signs of wear on the edges just from me going through them. I didn't shuffle either deck since I want to keep them as they are until I get a chance to properly initiate them into my practices.

The Ls's companion book offers much more detail and insight into the meaning and imagery of each card. The Ls book, like the deck, starts with the Majors while the WU book and deck end with the majors. The backs of the WU and even some of the line designs on the cards are a bit tough for me to take visually, kind of make me feel dizzy.

I really don't think today was my day to be looking at them. I'm having a rather strong response in the aftermath of looking at both decks. I'm not sure why they're having this impact but I'm putting both away until after the holidays and will figure the rest out later. I hope what I was able to say so far helped even though it was not too detailed or in depth.

G6

Keep in mind this is my take after a quick comparison and visual scan. Unfortunately, I won't be getting a chance to give them serious study or comparison for a while. I did notice that I liked the WU cardstock better, had a nice matte look and they felt nice in my hands. Thin, flexible yet felt strong and solid. The Ls felt thicker and less flexible yet already seemed to show signs of wear on the edges just from me going through them. I didn't shuffle either deck since I want to keep them as they are until I get a chance to properly initiate them into my practices.

The Ls's companion book offers much more detail and insight into the meaning and imagery of each card. The Ls book, like the deck, starts with the Majors while the WU book and deck end with the majors. The backs of the WU and even some of the line designs on the cards are a bit tough for me to take visually, kind of make me feel dizzy.

I really don't think today was my day to be looking at them. I'm having a rather strong response in the aftermath of looking at both decks. I'm not sure why they're having this impact but I'm putting both away until after the holidays and will figure the rest out later. I hope what I was able to say so far helped even though it was not too detailed or in depth.

Thanks for letting me know! I appreciate your comments. I haven't had someone purchase the decks at hand for comparison in response to a thread question. I hope you are happy with them when you get around to using them. Thanks again and have a happy holiday!

Sumaya

This thread is responsible for me doing just that.
In the end, it is your decision and your personal choice. For me, both are good decks.
Linestrider is easier to read but I like The WU more.
Sorry that I can't be more helpful.

Glad to hear that you enjoy both.