Vedic?

Keslynn

I'm learning a lot about Western astrology and I'm very excited. I always dive into a topic completely and only come up for air when real life calls. Bad real life! No cookie for you! ;) I had read a little sidenote in one of my books that Vedic astrology is different and yet often as accurate as the Western tradition. Is anyone here knowledgable in the field? Does anyone have any suggestions for books or websites to appease my voracious curiosity?

Thanks!

:TQS Kes
(Leo, Sag rising ;))

AquarianGoddess

Hi Keslynn,

I've taken a few classes on Vedic, but tend not to study things I can't pronounce (like the Vedic looonnnnngggg words with 35 letters!)

Over the years I've met a few Vedic people and they swear by it. It's very, very different than western astrology and whether it's more accurate, is open to debate.

The Mountain Astrologer magazine (www.mountainastrologer.com) does include a Vedic column that you may want to check out.

Ronnie Dryer (not sure of the spelling of her last name) and James Bramha are two astrologers and authors who incorporate both western and vedic.

Best of luck in your studies and don't forget to share your new knowledge with us!

AG

Minderwiz

The Mountain Astrologer is an excellent source of information and a good place to start.

I have not really done anything on Vedic Astrology so the only other information I would add is a source of books on Vedic Astrology.

This is the Wessex Astrologer - its a UK site but I know it ships internationally. It also has quite a few titles that are difficult to find.

Its main site is

http://www.wessexastrologer.com/index.htm

but you can go straight to Vedic Books at

http://www.wessexastrologer.com/Mer...tore_Code=WA&Category_Code=ASTROLOGYBOOKVEDIC

Minderwiz

osami2717

I find Vedic astology very confusing at the moment. [lots of words I can't pronounce let alone understand] but I've heard it's very accurate. I'm gonna stick to the chinese and western for now but when I feel stronger I'll give it another dabble.

Try 'Indian Astology' by Komilla Sutton.

I think it was a little much for a beginner like me but it is awesomely illustrated and rich in detail. [if only I knew what they were talking about...what's a nakshatra? ]

All I know is that I am a Purva Phalguni...I want long term commited partnerships, and children are important to me. If I don't have children then I would focus more on creative endevors. Hmmm....sounds like me and my twin...I want to have kids, she'd rather NOT but she is overflowing with creativity now. writes, draws plunks out haunting melodies on our moms semi-out-of-tune piano.

JC

How do you find out what you "are"? Are there any websites with corresponding signs?

Minderwiz

Both Vedic and Western Astrology use the same Astrological signs BUT Vedic uses the Sidereal Zodiac and Wester Astrology uses the Tropical Zodiac.

The difference is that the Sidereal Zodiac uses the actual position of the Stars in the Sky against the constellations. Western Astrology on the other hand makes the Spring Equinox the first degree of Aries, even though it actually takes place in Pisces.

I know this is confusing but there are some other posts in more detail on the subject. The effect is due to what's called the Precession of the Equinoxes. Nearly 2000 years ago the Sidereal and Tropical Zodiacs were the same - Spring Equinox in Aries. But the Earth is not strictly accurate in its orbit of the Sun and over the years (centuries and millenia) the Spring Equinox moves 'forward' in the Zodiac.

The effect is that the two Zodiacs are now out by about by about 24 degrees. So only if you were born in the last six degrees of a Wester sign do you share the same Vedic sign. Otherwise you are in the preceding sign. Thus if you were born at 10 degrees Scorpio in Western Astrology you were born at around 16 degrees Libra in Vedic Astrology.

JC

Thanks. And here I thought I was a turtle. ;)

Demonesse

Vedic words? They are not Vedic WORDS; the Vedas are sacred texts written in Sanskrit.