IMNOT TAROT DECK

imnot

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here but I'm not new to the forum, as I've been studying tarot for a few years now.

I've recently worked on my own deck and would love to hear your opinion.

HERE'S THE PICTURES:

http://payload368.cargocollective.com/1/3/114334/9673036/DECK_1000.png
http://payload368.cargocollective.com/1/3/114334/9673036/FOTO2_1000.png
http://payload368.cargocollective.com/1/3/114334/9673036/FOTO3_1000.png

(You can see more photos of details and work in progress here https://instagram.com/imnot_____/ )

ABOUT THE DECK:

It's a majors only for now, but I do intend to add the minors in the future.
Just not sure what kind yet (I like non-illustrated pips).

It's not based on traditional decks, though I followed a similar structure to one of my favourites: El Gran Tarot Esoterico.

The Fool is not first nor last. It is unnumbered and placed 21st.
But I think the metaphor of the journey still applies.

Also, the deck is not finished. I printed one sample from MakePlayingCards but I'm not happy with some cards,
which I'm thinking to re-illustrate (XII, XVII) or adjust (VII, XIV, XX).

I'm open to any suggestion.

OnePotato

Very nice work.
Very well drawn, and particularly nice, clean layout & graphic handling.

The black back seems a bit heavy, and while I like that it's set apart from the fronts, it might work slightly better in a 60% - 70% grey, or a relatively neutral color like blue-grey or brown, that would lighten it a little.

But as I said, it's very nice.
Bravo!

EvMaeve

First off, your illustrations are just beautiful. Really nice work here. I love how you've taken traditional tarot images, re-worked the titles and themes, and distilled them into such simple, expressive images. This looks very polished as is, but of the ones you mentioned changing, The Chariot and Sacrifice stand out to me because I don't think I'd get the themes behind them from these illustrations without having a background in the cards' traditional meanings. I glean more intuitively from the other images. Composition wise, the Star looks great on its own, but less balanced than the other cards when you look at them all together. I like the card back. The only other thing I can say, is that if something bothers you about an illustration now, take the time to sit on it. Set it aside for a couple weeks and come back to it later. Maybe do a couple mock-ups for alternate versions. If it bugs you now, odds are it will bug you forever. Clearly, you have an excellent eye and honed skills, so trust your gut. This is such a strong collection, and I really look forward to seeing what you do with it. Beautiful!

Ica'rus

This is a Wonderful looking deck! I absolutely love the design, colors, and artwork. I don't know if you plan to make any changes but even Majors only I would love to get my hands on this. :) I will be following with interest, especially as you design the pips!

imnot

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the feedback.

The black back seems a bit heavy, and while I like that it's set apart from the fronts, it might work slightly better in a 60% - 70% grey, or a relatively neutral color like blue-grey or brown, that would lighten it a little.

I actually made a lighter version of the back, but when printed it resulted way too light, so I guess something in the middle as you suggested is definitely worth a try!

http://payload368.cargocollective.com/1/3/114334/9673036/Screen-Shot-2015-08-15-at-13.07.09.png

imnot

This looks very polished as is, but of the ones you mentioned changing, The Chariot and Sacrifice stand out to me because I don't think I'd get the themes behind them from these illustrations without having a background in the cards' traditional meanings. I glean more intuitively from the other images.

This is really interesting. I know I rushed myself when I was drawing those cards, I also know they're two cards I don't quite understand in the same way as others. It's almost as if I'm missing something, that insight that would give me a good starting point for the illustrations.

I'll probably need to spend more time on these and go back to the design only when I have a better grasp.

imnot

(Sorry I haven't quite figured out how to quote everyone in one reply, if that's even possible?)

I don't know if you plan to make any changes but even Majors only I would love to get my hands on this. :) I will be following with interest, especially as you design the pips!

That's great to hear! I'd love to print more copies once I get all majors sorted, I'm also considering doing a kickstarter at some point but before that it's probably best to start with the minors and see how that goes...

elektrius

beautiful! really nice feel to them, also looking forward to seeing the whole deck come to life, minors and all. the gray back is very nice, overall nice concept and beautiful graphic design elements. cheers!

vulpixel

Really beautiful and they deffo come across as being quite peaceful and tranquil in their energy to me anyway! Good start. Looking forward to seeing your entire deck.

Padma

(Sorry I haven't quite figured out how to quote everyone in one reply, if that's even possible?)

Just click the little yelling head on the bottom right beside the Quote button - do this on each post/quote you wish to include, and when you post your reply, they will all appear in the reply box. You can then post your comments in between the different quotes.

Nicely drawn, by the way. I like the hand with the keys - interesting take on the cards :)