Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Opinions on Non-Standard Card Sizes?

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Deck Creation

Resident

jalaire 
Resident

Question Opinions on Non-Standard Card Sizes?

How does everyone feel about larger than standard (2.75 x 4.75 in) tarot cards? I know that shuffling can become an issue if you get too large. At what point are the cards too large in your opinion, and would non-standard card size keep you from purchasing a deck?

Thanks!
Top   #1
Citizen

Lareia 
Citizen

A deck has to be stunning for me to buy it with oversized cards. My hands are so small that shuffling even normally sized decks is awkward sometimes...
Top   #2
Citizen

AJ 
Citizen

the differences are part of the pleasure in having multiple decks for me.
I think the Inner Child had the biggest cards I've had, although gone now, but not because of the card size. I find it as easy to shuffle sideways as end to end.

edited to add after looking at the title again, I don't believe there are any 'standard' sizes, Lo Scarabeo might come the closest simply by their sheer volume of publishing.
Top   #3
Resident

MaryQC 
Resident

Any bigger than about standard is a problem for me. I have relatively large hands, and I still own decks that I find difficult to shuffle. A lot of tarot readers are women, who tend to have smaller hands, and larger decks can be a problem for a large proportion of readers.

That said, there are less usual methods of shuffling, like the overhand method, that work even with big decks, and some decks have such lovely art that it would be a shame to reduce the size. The Japaridze tarot, for instance, really needs to be as big as it is, even though it's a nightmare to shuffle. And I think most people know of decks hurt by how small they are--the 1001 Nights is a good example.

So I guess it's not a disaster if a deck is big, provided the artwork is complicated enough to justify it, but in general smaller decks are better.
Top   #4
Resident

jalaire 
Resident

thank you for the feedback! I definitely don't want anyone having issues working with my deck so I'll stick to a more standard size.
Top   #5

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.