Why Scenic Minors?

Zephyros

LOL. Waite is well-known for NOT making things obvious! In fact, that's one of the biggest complaints against his writing. And, he did hint at it in the Grail book.

He didn't need people to know that the suits illustrated a particular story because it was expressing a principle far deeper than itself. Similarly, it wasn't vital that everyone get all the quotes to mystical literature that he sprinkled throughout PKT (owing to his photographic memory) - although if you follow them back to their source you'll get a much deeper understanding of his own mystical vision.

I believe this is one of the reasons why the RWS is so spare in its symbolism, and lacking the attributions. Perhaps he believed that the system "worked" even if one wasn't aware of it. This suggests more of a respect for the general audience rather than the dismissive nature he is often accused of. Otherwise why bother at all?

Teheuti

I believe this is one of the reasons why the RWS is so spare in its symbolism, and lacking the attributions. Perhaps he believed that the system "worked" even if one wasn't aware of it. This suggests more of a respect for the general audience rather than the dismissive nature he is often accused of. Otherwise why bother at all?
You have it pegged, Clorapexa. Waite says much the same thing in several of his non-tarot books. To him these same ideas were pervasive in all places and times as they expressed a natural human yearning for union with the Divine, although not everyone in this life would awaken to it. However, he felt that certain tales better expressed the sense of loss and yearning for attainment than did others. The Joseph of Arimathea story by Robert de Boron (as retold by Waite) and the Hiram Abiff stories are chief among these, as stated by him several times.

Teheuti

Hint when reading Waite's PKT: if you find an odd sounding phrase in the middle of a sentence, google it! It's probably a quote from some work of metaphysical literature that he is known to have venerated (because he's mentioned this fact elsewhere). Reading all or a lot of Waite's works yields a much different picture of his life-long purpose than you can get from just reading PKT. In some ways he was very single-minded in his beliefs (although a growth and development can be perceived if you read them in order).

Teheuti

I'm reluctant to disagree in any way with Mary, whose scholarship in these matters is formidable and inspirational.
I should have said thank you for the compliment. I welcome disagreement, although I hope you don't mind that I'll argue against it if warranted. What I most welcome are actual materials that will support, disprove or substantially question my perspective. Hence, the challenge that I issued earlier. Please find a story that mirrors the suit of Cups or Swords as closely as the ones I found that he cleared pointed out were so vital to his beloved Secret Tradition.

Lee

Let me start by stating up front that I am completely unequipped, whether by education or by life circumstances, to conduct or present historical research. So you can challenge me all you want, Mary, but I will not be providing you with "facts," i.e. quotes from Waite's works, etc. I haven't read any of Waite's works other than PKT, and it's been years since I've read PKT cover to cover. The relevant question here is: Does my lack of qualifications as an historian mean that I'm not entitled to come to my own conclusions about your positions and to state those conclusions publicly? Perhaps I'm not. But it seems to me that it's perfectly reasonable for me or anyone else to look at the evidence that you bring forth and to state whether it seems convincing, and why, without needing to be historians ourselves.

You seem to be demanding that I come up with stories that equal the ones you think Waite intended to illustrate with the pips. You seem to imply (or maybe I'm just inferring) that you won't take my observations seriously unless I do. But I'm not sure that it's appropriate for you, as the person presenting a thesis, to demand that those who don't agree must prove you wrong. I think the burden is on you, as the person presenting the new ideas, to prove them, and not up to others to disprove them. As you know, it's difficult to prove a negative, so it would be very difficult for me to prove that Waite did not design the pip cards with stories in mind. And I don't feel that it's my burden to prove that.

To my mind, you have proved admirably, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Waite had specific ideas and associations in mind for the tarot suits. It seems clear that he used Arthurian and Masonic imagery in both court and pip cards. (To my untutored eyes, the Three of Pentacles certainly seems very Masonic.) What you have not proved to my satisfaction (and I'm grateful to LRichard for posting, so I know I'm not the only one!) is that Waite intentionally designed the pip cards to relate certain stories. I understand that for you, the match between stories and suits is a powerful one. But that, as I say, relies on a subjective interpretation by you of Smith's beguilingly ambiguous artwork. I was not overly struck by the exactness of the matches when I read your article. To me it seems reasonable for Waite to scatter references to his favored attributions among the Minors yet still not see the pip cards as strung together to tell a story.

I guess we're kind of at an impasse on that point. I certainly don't expect you to post all your work product on a public forum, but by the same token, hopefully you will understand that I'm not eager to shell out 43 bucks for your DVD lecture for the privilege of continuing this conversation. If you ever publish that material in a more reasonably-priced medium, I'll be happy to buy it and let you know what I think.

Back to your challenge -- I'm saying there's not enough evidence to state with certainty that Waite intended the pips to show stories. You're saying there is, and then you're saying that I need to come up with alternate stories to show that "any one will do." But since I don't believe that there are stories built-in, why would I want to spend my time doing that? If I believe, as I do, that your proposed stories aren't convincing, then why would I want to spend time finding my own unconvincing stories?

You LOL'd at my disbelief that Waite would put so much time and effort into his pip cards yet not mention nor hint at it in his writing. But much of what Waite hid was the GD attributions, which he had taken an oath not to reveal. He was under no such restriction with his own Arthurian/Masonic attributions. I do understand that there was much in his writing that he declined to elaborate on, but again, it strains belief that, despite his reticence to spell things out for his readers, he would completely hide, without even a hint, a reference to stories in the pips after supposedly having gone to so much trouble to include them.

What you are asking us to believe is that Waite created specific scenes for each pip card that not only included references to cartomantic meanings, GD attributions, and his own mystical ideas, but that he also expressly planned each suit sequence to tell a specific story with specific characters, dictated the composition of each card to Smith, then instructed Smith to deliberately hide the fact that the cards represented illustrations of stories (for otherwise, surely she would have done as I suggested earlier, clearly showing the same characters in each suit's cards), then deliberately declined to write about or even hint at the existence of such stories in the cards for the rest of his life.

Is it possible? Yes, it's possible. Is it probable? To me, it does not meet that threshold. I would think it more appropriate to label it as "an intriguing possibility but we can't know for sure."

Several of the factors that you cite to support your thesis could be explained more simply without that thesis. The fish necklace on the King of Cups is more simply explained by what is clearly a pattern in the court cards, presumably dictated by Waite, of using elemental symbols to show an attribution of suits to elements. The "stagey" aspects of many of the pip cards is more simply explained by Smith's long experience in the theater.

You seem to feel that since you're relying on a "weight of the evidence" argument, that means I'm not entitled to point out what I might see as weaknesses in a particular piece of evidence. I disagree. If you're going to bring up a point to support your argument, then you've "opened the door," as they say in the legal world, for me to make my own observations about that point if I feel it's relevant to my argument.

(As an aside, I was taken aback by your choice of the word "disingenuous" on that point. Hopefully you did not mean to suggest that I have some kind of ulterior motive in my posts here. I stated that I did not in my prior post, and I meant it. I'm sure I've exhibited many personality flaws over the years on this forum, but dishonesty isn't one of them. I in turn challenge you, Mary, to find one member of this forum who would say that I've ever been anything other than straightforward and sincere in my posts. Perhaps you would consider retracting that word, as it carries connotations which I'm sure you did not mean.)

Waite's reticence and obscureness causes problems for anyone hoping to prove or disprove something from his writing. If I say, "but Waite didn't say that," and you say, "LOL, but Waite didn't say a lot about a lot of things," to me that comes dangerously close to the kind of argument made by people who have all sorts of outlandish theories about tarot, and when asked for evidence they say, "well of course there isn't any evidence, the Church destroyed it." For them, the absence of evidence for something is itself evidence in support of that something, which is of course not a historian's way of looking at things.
He didn't need people to know that the suits illustrated a particular story because it was expressing a principle far deeper than itself. Similarly, it wasn't vital that everyone get all the quotes to mystical literature that he sprinkled throughout PKT (owing to his photographic memory) - although if you follow them back to their sources you'll get a much deeper understanding of his own mystical vision.
I think it's not an exact analogy, because while the quotes to mystical literature won't be recognized by most people, at least they are there in print for anyone to see. The pips-as-stories idea, though, would have to have been buried so deep that it strains credulity that he would even bother.

One of my main frustrations in all this is that you are demanding "facts" and "actual materials" before you will reconsider your conclusions, while it seems like your conclusions do not meet the high standard of "facts" and "actual materials" that you demand from others.

Your original post in this thread is full of statements such as:

"Then I think he told her the stories he wanted illustrated."

"The suit of Swords illustrates exactly the Hiram Abiff story [...]"

"Waite's description of the Masonic initiate in The Encyclopedia of Freemasonry matches the suit of Pentacles."

"Waite seems to have envisioned the Minor Arcana as a quaternity of ritual pageants."

"The Minor Arcana are clearly four stories of what Waite called the Loss [...]"

Do you see what I'm getting at? All of these statements depend on your own subjective interpretations, without direct corroboration from Waite's writings. In my mind it is not correct to assign to such factors the same evidentiary weight as something that's directly corroborated from Waite's writings (or contemporary accounts, of which we have none).
In his appendix on the Minors in the Grail book he says he can devise pageants out of the Minors. He was working on both the Tarot and the Grail book at the same time.
This is the one thing that I can find among your posts in which you mention a direct reference by Waite to pips and stories (or "pageants"). Could you provide a little more detail on this? Is this the same quote you referenced earlier from the 1933 edition? If he actually does draw this connection himself, then it may or may not -- depending on the exact quote -- convince me of your argument, but it would be nice to see the quote itself so I can judge.
I welcome disagreement, although I hope you don't mind that I'll argue against it if warranted
I don't mind at all. I am still a Mary Greer fan. And I say that with complete ingenuousness. :)

Teheuti

I have clearly stated that my evidence is all circumstantial, but both history and law courts allow a place for circumstantial evidence as long as other explanations of the evidence don't negate them.

Lee, I did not ask you for facts. I asked you to follow up your statement,
they [the stories Mary found] seemed to work out as one would expect any correlation between tarot and another story or symbol sequence.
I simply asked that you demonstrate this "any correlation between tarot and another story or symbol sequence." An item-by-item correlation to another existing story (rather than making up a story to fit the image), that includes phrasing, images and sequence would easily demonstrate that there is nothing special about the correlations I found. I thought that was your point. I obviously can't do this because I haven't yet found other stories that are comparable.

I agree I can't prove my theory absolutely. However, I think my circumstantial evidence is strong enough for peer review.

I agree that taking any single piece of my circumstantial evidence and explaining it away will work. It's precisely why I had to look for several things that all pointed in the same direction - to try and strengthen probability.

I am willing to send my DVD to anyone who has studied many of Waite's writings (so they aren't totally in the dark about Waite's style and philosophy) and who is willing to do a thorough critique/peer review.

I meant the word disingenuous as 'cunning' in a faux-naïf kind of way in that circumstantial evidence usually needs the weight of many circumstances to support it because one item alone cannot do so.

Teheuti

Hidden Church of the Holy Graal, Section IX: "The Hallows of the Graal Mystery Rediscovered in the Talismans of the Tarot" (p. 600-608).

p. 600
"To restate the fact that the canonical Hallows of the Graal legend are the Cup, the Lance, the Sword and the Dish will seem almost impertinent at this stage; the least versed of my readers will regard it is a weary reiteration, for he and they all are in plenary possession of whatever need be said upon the subject. . . .
p. 601
"When any of us have been studying exhaustively—as we think—a given subject and are surfeited in our familiarity therewith, it may happen that we alight unawares on something which had escaped us utterly. . . . I wonder how many critical works have been written on the Holy Graal, and yet it has occurred to no one that its Hallows, under a slight modification, may be somewhere else in the world than in those old books of romance. I might have shown that their bases are in modern high grades of Masonry. . . .
"They are in the antecedents of our playing card—that is to say, in the old Talismans of the Tarot. [Talismans is Waite's term for the Minor Arcana suits.]
p.602
"The correspondence of certain Tarot symbols with those of the Holy Graal stands rather in the light of a discovery without a consequence which I can pretend to develop here. . . . The Talismans of the Tarot have been pressed into the service of a logical, constructed system of symbolism with results that are very curious.
p. 603
"The Grail suits are actually the Graal Hallows. . . . The place of the Cup . . . is the equivalent ex hypothesi of the arch-natural Eucharis*. In a word, it is the world not manifested and this the world of adeptship, attained by sanctity. In so far therefore as it can be said in the open day, hereof is the message of the Secret Tradition in Christian times—as it remains among the guardians thereof—on the subject of the Graal Mystery.
p. 605
"The great rites are celebrated, the high offices continue, . . . the veiled voices signify the Presence, yet the Master is taken away, and we know not where they have laid Him. [He then talks about the story of Hiram Abiff (without naming him) as it parallels Christ - see his Encyclopedia of Freemasonry where he makes these references even more explicit.]
p. 606
"Saddest and poudest of all, the great craft legends of Masonry tell us that until that which from time immemorial has been lost in the secret places is at length restored to the mysteries, the true temple can only be built in the heart. [The story enacted in 3rd Degree Freemasonry is that of Hiram Abiff, architect of the temple of Solomon, who is murdered and so the design of the outer temple is lost forever. Masonic sources pictorially illustrate the ritual by showing a group of Masons surrounding a man lying on his stomache while they all thrust their swords into his back (see my DVD for the image).]
p. 607
"The same story of loss is therefore everywhere, but it is never told twice in the same way. . . .
p. 608
"The Word which gives the key to some treasure house** of the building plan will be restored in full and meanwhile the quest is continued for ever . . . and so from age to age goes on the great story of divine expectation."
End of the Chapter on the Graal Hallows and the Talismans of the Tarot.

*Arch-natural Eucharist is a concept that Waite develops to a greater degree in several of his books.

**Gareth Knight refers to Waite's characterization of "treasure house" in his book title on the Tarot: _The Treasure House of Mysteries_.

Am looking for the pageants reference in the 2nd edition of the book.

Teheuti

Here is the reason why I couldn't quote Waite exactly on his "being well-qualified to devise such pageants" - for how many people are going to be able to wade through Waite's verbage and understand all his allusions to material in the first 400 pages of the book:

Waite, The Holy Grail, p. 437
"Here I conceive, is the broad hypothesis of the subject; and it not be held impermissible for one who, like myself, is directly and indirectly acquainted with many forms of Initiation, old and new, to affirm that it would be possible on my own part to reconstruct at their value all the Quests in decorative pageants, even the Conte del Graal and the Gawain part of the Perlesvaus. I have been at this kind of work for many years of initiated life . . . It has been worth while to mention this because the great dissimilarity between Rites of which the fact is known publicly and those which are hidden from the world, between those which exist on a small scale and those which are established on a large, have brought me a diversified experience." . . . [He goes on for several pages about considerations for such pageants as involves the Grail literature ending with] "The Grail literature is in any case a testimony of loss and dereliction."

[The section on the "Ritual Hypothesis" that contains this piece is a long expansion of the text that appeared originally in Waite's 8 page chapter on the Talismans of the Tarot in _The Hidden Church of the Holy Graal_, as shown by the "Summary" at the end which is word-for-word from "The Talismans of the Tarot".]

Hidden Church of the Holy Graal,
p. 647
"These quests are mirrors of spiritual chivalry . . . pageants of the mystic life . . . and they offer in romance form a presentation of the soul's chronicle." [On several occasions Waite names the Major Arcana the "soul's progress."]

The Holy Grail
p. 466
"In so far as there is mystic purpose or Hidden Doctrine in Grail literature it is often like an echo from afar—a rumor, a legend which had fallen in the hands of romancers. It is as if Sir Walter Montbéliard, the patron of Robert de Borron, being by the hypothesis a Templar, had told a strange story to the poet of things which he also had heard from afar. . . .
I put forward as so many material of assitance, so many traces of the same implicits perpetuated through several centuries—(1) the Sacramental Mystery of Alchemy as corresponding to the Eucharistic Mystery of the Holy Grail; (2) **the mystical pageant of Kabbalism as analogical to the Grail pageant**; (3) certain quests in *Masonry* as synonymous—outside all derivation—with the Grail Quest."

[What, may I ask, is the mystical pageant of Kabbalism - but the journey on the Tree through the ten sephiroth - the number cards of the Minor Arcana? And here he makes explicit (as he does elsewhere) that the quests of Masonry and the Grail are synonymous - which is why Wands and Cups are from the Grail and Swords and Pentacles are from Masonry. He also makes clear in PKT that the Majors parallel the Mystery of Alchemy - drawing parallels to the Book of Lambspring.]

[And for more on the Fisher King and the Pageants]
Waite, The Holy Grail, p. 565
"One may be disposed to conclude at first sight that the Grail Church may stand for Christianity and the Rich Fisherman for its central seat of authority. He is the Keeper of the Divine Mysteries, the possessor of the valid forms; but he and his environment have been laid waste by the spirit of the world. Alternatively there might be involved a confession of apparent failure in respect of God's work in the world. . . .
"Here also intervenes for our further confusion the difficulty of the unasked Question—of that Question which seems exclusive in symbolism. What purpose, in this connection, could it serve the Hereditary Keeper of the Grail that an apparent stranger should visit him and ask the meaning of the Vessel and its Pageant? We remember the Question in Masonry, which is one of violence, doing outrage ot the Law and the order and voiding the erection of a True Temple [the Abiff story]. There it is simple in symbolism and almost transparent in meaning; but here is a Question which is necessary in some utterly mystical manner, belonging to the law and the order, and one by which the Warden is restored: it is less intelligible on this hypothesis than are many darker corners of thought. However this may be, it follows that there is a heavy cloud on the Sanctuary*, and if the symbolism belongs by possibility simple to the Official Church, it has the Words of Life, but is still, after some manner, inhibited: it must be challenged before it can speak and it must communicate before it can be healed. The Quests are so far external that they involve transit from place to place, as Pageant passes through a Temple." p. 565

* The in-crowd will recognize "a heavy cloud on the Sanctuary" as a direct reference to Eckharthausen's _Cloud Upon the Sanctuary_ - a book that Waite greatly revered and often referenced.

Teheuti

If all the above makes your head spin it's not unusual and shows why most people do not bother to read much of Waite's material. You have to read A LOT before it starts making much sense.

ravenest

My difficulty with Waite is I have experienced much of the what he writes about (work with those four elements symbols, martially and ritually, the graal mythology , wonderful temple pagents, Freemasonry, and 'violence and voiding' of the word {which by the way is NOT lost forever } , etc .).

Its not THAT that makes my head spin but Waite's language and style of writing about it . I haven't decided yet if his visual representations of the story are equally .... spinny.

Oh yeah, and I like the case Teheuti presents ... good enough for me ... and makes the most sense ... so, why not ( I mean anything can be picked apart .... says the raven ... but I cant fault the overall logic and probability.)