Tower VS Garden for upper-level schooling

CosmicBeing

I am wondering about what cards to use for community colleges (2 year schools - associate) and Universities (4 year schools - bachelors, phd, Master)

I was think Tower could represent a University
Garden can represent a community college
Book will just represent education on a broad spectrum.

What are your thoughts?

Barleywine

I agree. Tower would imply more institutional formality while Garden suggests a more informal setting. Hmm, but the University of New Hamphire once had a reputation as one of the biggest "party schools" in the US, so who knows.

Teheuti

I am wondering about what cards to use for community colleges (2 year schools - associate) and Universities (4 year schools - bachelors, phd, Master)

I was think Tower could represent a University
Garden can represent a community college
Book will just represent education on a broad spectrum.
If it works for you and these represent issues you deal with often, then go with it. Personally, I'd use Tower for any form of institutionalized higher education, while Garden would represent gatherings, clubs, fellowship, sororities and fraternities (along with House). House would also represent a person's dorm. Letter can represent papers and a diploma. Sometimes you just have to play around with the context to figure out what actually works in practice. Also, remember that daily readings sometimes come up with personal and literal meanings that I wouldn't use so much in a professional reading where I stick with the tradition.

Jen P

If it works for you and these represent issues you deal with often, then go with it. Personally, I'd use Tower for any form of institutionalized higher education, while Garden would represent gatherings, clubs, fellowship, sororities and fraternities (along with House). House would also represent a person's dorm. Letter can represent papers and a diploma. Sometimes you just have to play around with the context to figure out what actually works in practice. Also, remember that daily readings sometimes come up with personal and literal meanings that I wouldn't use so much in a professional reading where I stick with the tradition.

I agree with Barleywine and Teheuti - I personally use Tower + Book to represent schools. Getting the Book alone is enough to represent education - given the right context, IMO. Maybe getting the Clover could represent the 2 year plan, while the Mountain could represent the longer term schooling. You can always use a significator card to represent a certain thing for you. Go with what feels right to you.

Teheuti

House+Book can sometimes represent a neighborhood elementary school just as House can be a small shop rather than a department store or mall (Tower). It all depends on context.

House - small buildings, personal property and real estate
Tower - large buildings, institutions, corporations, government

CosmicBeing

Well I'm doing a GT layout for someone a year outlook. This person is going to a community college and then is transferring to a university because she has been accepted into one.

(The acceptance is conditional)

So I wanted to separate them because they will be two different educational settings in the time period.

She is not into greek life (sororities or parties...)

So I wanted to specify the two education settings more.

Teheuti

Well I'm doing a GT layout for someone a year outlook. This person is going to a community college and then is transferring to a university because she has been accepted into one.

(The acceptance is conditional)

So I wanted to separate them because they will be two different educational settings in the time period.

She is not into greek life (sororities or parties...)

So I wanted to specify the two education settings more.
See: context makes all the difference!

When doing a GT on a specific issue I will often pre-select one or two cards to represent the focus of the reading so there's no ambiguity regarding these cards.

CosmicBeing

See: context makes all the difference!

When doing a GT on a specific issue I will often pre-select one or two cards to represent the focus of the reading so there's no ambiguity regarding these cards.

Do you think that is a good theory I have...to have Garden as community college and Tower as a 4 year university? Then the book card to just represent education on all level.

I still have to figure out other cards to highlight....
Clover = Scholarships/grants
Bear= Loans in all forms (federal or personal)

Letter will be all official correspondence

Dog= Professors

Teheuti

Do you think that is a good theory I have...to have Garden as community college and Tower as a 4 year university? Then the book card to just represent education on all level.

I still have to figure out other cards to highlight....
Clover = Scholarships/grants
Bear= Loans in all forms (federal or personal)

Letter will be all official correspondence

Dog= Professors
Those are good possibilities. I haven't tried 'charging' so many topic cards for a GT, so try it and see how it works.

By 'charging' I just mean setting a clear and firm intent before laying out the GT.

Barleywine

Those are good possibilities. I haven't tried 'charging' so many topic cards for a GT, so try it and see how it works.

By 'charging' I just mean setting a clear and firm intent before laying out the GT.

I haven't intentionally charged that many in advance either, but during a broad life-reading we sometimes wander into many of the major ones just because the querent asks so many questions. And, of course, some of them come into the picture due to the analytical techniques used.