What's better?

CreativeFire

I have recently bought the Thoth deck and am becoming more and more intrigued and taken with the images (particularly the style of artwork in the drawings!)

I have just been going through the cards themselves to get my feeling for the images and deck but am interested in learning more about the symbology so have just ordered "The Crowley Tarot: The Handbook to the Cards".

Thanks everyone for posting this thread. Glad to hear that this is a good choice to start with before I work my way on to the Book of Thoth and other Crowley works.

The Dictionary of Symbols also sounds like a good one to put on my book wish list.

CreativeFire

Jenny-Li

Alobar said:
glad to see someone else recommending this book. however, unless the situation has changed recently, it is out of print. if you can find a copy, grab it!

As far as I know the cirlot was due for reprint last year. I haven't checked for it recently, but... last thing I heard was it would be available late last year.

//Jenny

CreativeFire

Thanks Jenny-Li, good to know, I may be able to order it in - will check when I go to pick up my Thoth book in a few weeks.

CreativeFire

VGimlet

Alobar said:
<snip> another very good book on symbols (even better in many ways) is J.C Cooper's 'An Illustrated Encycloperia of Traditional Symbols' (ISBN 0-500-27125-9). this is very complete, and looks at each symbol from the perspective of many different cultures (Christian, Chinese, Celtic, Native American, etc).

I wish I'd come back and read this thread before I placed my amazon order yesterday! :p
I was just thinking that I really liked my Cirlot book, because he goes into the classic mythology of some of the symbols, and compares and contrasts meanings (surprising how many symbols have similar meanings in diverse cultures....) but that I would also like a book of symbols with a more modern approach. I got my Dictionary of Symbols from Powell's - it wasn't outrageously expensive. Well, I'm putting The Illustrated Encyclopedia on my "wanted" list.

I just ordered Keywords for the Crowley Tarot by Hajo Banzhaf, Brigitte Theler and Zeigler's Mirror of the Soul. I am really looking forward to getting them before I start on the Majors....