is it just me or

Dragons_Wing

does death look like its doing a litttle happy happy joy joy jig?

Centaur

LOL. It does! I was reading Duquette's book last night, and he states that Death in the Thoth is quite different to Death in the RW.

Death in the Thoth is very fluid and dynamic... the images in the card depict putrifecation, which according to Crowley, is the very stuff of life itself... it is the re-uniting of the spirit with the wider universe... i'm not quite sure I am remembering this correctly, so smack me if I am wrong. :)

Duquette writes that Death seems to writhe on an ocean floor, and that he seems to be stirring up new-life in with his scythe.

I like it!

Centaur

crystal cove

Centaur said:
LOL. It does! I was reading Duquette's book last night, and he states that Death in the Thoth is quite different to Death in the RW.

Death in the Thoth is very fluid and dynamic... the images in the card depict putrifecation, which according to Crowley, is the very stuff of life itself... it is the re-uniting of the spirit with the wider universe... i'm not quite sure I am remembering this correctly, so smack me if I am wrong. :)

Duquette writes that Death seems to writhe on an ocean floor, and that he seems to be stirring up new-life in with his scythe.

I like it!

Centaur

I like it, too!

Death has never intimidated me as it does some. I love the idea of the complete death and rebirth of something. Including me. :D

Kiama

I think it makes sense to have Death dancing... In my mind it makes me think of La Danse Macabre...

Yep, the Thoth Death really is dynamic, but then change and death and subsequently new birth always is... :D

Kiama

Kosmos

The strings/lines that are connected to the skeleton are interesting and beautiful. It almost looks like the skeleton is a puppet on these strings, but at the same time it looks like he is the puppeteer and the strings he pulls as he dances are connected to the infinite. In a sense both would be good descriptions as death is something we know so little about, our minds make a puppet out of it - it is always what we concieve it to be. Yet death is so all-encompassing that we are simultaneously subject to it, making it something of a universal force/experience.

f. silvestris

Putrefaction is also an important stage in the alchemical process: I believe the Art card shows the iridescence which is meant to follow it.

Centaur

f. silvestris said:
Putrefaction is also an important stage in the alchemical process: I believe the Art card shows the iridescence which is meant to follow it.

Yes. It does.

In her cauldron, or whatever you want to call it, she may be mixing up new life from the old.

Dragons_Wing

i was just reading what duquette has to say about art and death...

It is very difficult to discuss the Death card without also discussing the next trump, Art. From an alchemical point of view, Death really should come after Art for the not-so-simple reason that Art forshadows the final stage of the great work. Death is the final stage itself. Even though it is not pictured in the Death card, our snake-wrapped Orphic egg- the latent seed of life that we first saw in the Magus card, whose element were married in the lovers, and which then was fertiliezed by the Hermit-is now entering the last stage of developement before hatching into new life.
In a way, the Art card actually incororates the Death card in its imagery. If you turn forward a few pages and look at the illustration of the Art card, you will see an androgyne figure pouring fire and water upon the heads of a lion and an eagle and then into a great cauldron. If you look closesly at the culdron, you will see the image of a raven perched upon a human skull. Lady Harris may as well have painted a sign on the cauldron that reads, "This is cauldron is the Death card."

i just found that interesting. its is found in duquette's understanding aleister crowley's thoth tarot.

edited to add: i felt kinda silly when i first read it cause i really didn't make the connection between death and art until i read it on here and in the book. i probly would have been better off if she painted 'this is couldron is the death card' altho that is an incorrect sounding sentence.