Who wants a cheap, wipe-clean, on-the-go Marseilles?

FLizarraga

<suppresses giggle>

<gravely> My Job Here Is Done.

I SUPPOSE YOU THINK THIS IS FUNNY???????? :mad:

The worst part of it is that, after I bought the set (thank goodness is still as cheap as it ever was) I realized that I probably already have this deck. I don't know about the Bounty Books one, but the Thunder Bay set comes with, as far as I can tell, the so-called Thunder Bay Conver... :p

nisaba

I would love a tough as nails historical deck, even one made of actual plastic (ESPECIALLY that), but I'm not sure this one is it. I've creased the edges on it faster than usual for a deck, and the cards are especially thin and easily bent.

er ... I don't think you're talking about the same deck we are. Ours is definitely made of plastic and as for thin: well, it has the same 79 cards most decks do, and if I lie the deck down next to any other deck it is taller, so each card MUST be thicker.

And they are totally waterproof. And they don't bend, not unless you hold them against the edge of a table and use your weight.

Seriously though, something historical and actually waterproof...I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

It is. I just floated a few cards in leftover, slightly greasy washing-up water that's gone cold. Not a problem. Then I tried to float the rest of the deck and it floundered - too much weight in the one place. I'll wipe 'em dry after I've finished ATing for the evening - for the moment, they can soak. :)

Laura Borealis

er ... I don't think you're talking about the same deck we are. Ours is definitely made of plastic and as for thin: well, it has the same 79 cards most decks do, and if I lie the deck down next to any other deck it is taller, so each card MUST be thicker.

I think we're talking about more than one deck, though. One is by Thunder Bay and the other by Bounty Books, right? And gregory mentioned two different sizes, so there's more than one deck being discussed.

The one I had wasn't plastic either.

bonebeach

I think we're talking about more than one deck, though. One is by Thunder Bay and the other by Bounty Books, right? And gregory mentioned two different sizes, so there's more than one deck being discussed.

Yeah, exactly. I think for a while there was a consensus that both of those were the same deck, and while they might be image wise, I think the difference in reported sturdiness has to be because they're different decks, material build wise.

I would love one of the actually plastic ones, if I was sure of what I was ordering.

FLizarraga

<cackle> Yes.

AAAAAAAAAARGH! *foaming at the mouth*

Yeah, exactly. I think for a while there was a consensus that both of those were the same deck, and while they might be image wise, I think the difference in reported sturdiness has to be because they're different decks, material build wise.

I would love one of the actually plastic ones, if I was sure of what I was ordering.

Yeah, that's what I have started to realize, too --AFTER the fact. *more foaming at the mouth*

The Bounty Books one shows up in Amazon (US, anyway), but it's not clear whether is the set or just the book. As usual with Amazon, I'll have to say, especially when it's third party sellers. *sigh*

nisaba

But the whole premise of the thread (even its title) was the plastic one ...

FLizarraga

Yes, but there was a notion that the two editions were identical.

I did get mine, though. Hated the box. It is definitely the so-called "Thunder Bay Conver," and it's definitely plastic.

nisaba

The box is way too tight. If you get rid of the LWB, you can just about force the cards back into it. :) Mine is still way too tight after several years.

gregory

Yes, and that is the big one in the too-tight box. But I do believe the two publishers are the same people. The smaller non-plastic one came in the kit with the faux-satin cloth and the terrible book. But with such identical backs it has to be the same people putting them out.