Decks You Wish You Hadn't Bought?

Mittkait

None of them really. Mainly because the artwork has to really appeal to me before I even consider buying a deck. If I don't like it, I don't investigate further.

That said, I was on the fence about "Beautiful Creatures" but I seemed to have warmed up to it.

I really do regret purchasing my copy of "Deck of the Bastard" with key words printed on it. The deck itself is great just not with keywords.

I just cannot connect with the Native American Tarot. (Gonzalez - US Games). But I have had it forever and I believe it was a Christmas gift from my family. So I would feel really horrible about giving it away.

mercuryempress

Morgan Greer In a Tin- Loved it at first when I first started collecting decks because of the travel size but I find that I just don't connect with this deck as well as I have with others.

Light Grey Tarot- Again I love it but I guess because of all the different types of images it kinda throws me off

Tarot of Silicon Dawn-Its a bit overwhelming with all the cards and they are just too small
I will probably refurbish these for journal images because they're so darn tiny

Michellehihi

I just bought that deck! It came today been wanting it for years:)

really! tell me how you like it, does it read well? I am talking about Voyageur

Freyja of V

I have a few that I cannot connect with:

Epic Tarot - this deck is such a departure from RWS and I feel like there is too much going on and not in a good way.

Bosch Tarot - nope!

Chrysalis - Although I have not tried all that hard to read with it, there is just something holding me back. I love the artwork and appreciate some of their changes, but I'm on the fence. I'll have to give it another chance.

Ciro Marchetti's (Tarot only) with an exception - I love the art in his decks, but they do not spark my intuition. However, the Tarot Royale (aka Gilded Tarot Royale) is one of my favorites. The symbolism is out of this world and on point. Plus, I absolutely love his Oracle of Visions. I almost enjoy it as much as Tarot. It's so easy to read and just stunning.

Angel Tarot (D. Virtue) - I am half & half on the deck. I bought it when I first started because I thought that having the meanings written on the card itself, would help and they did - a lot. But, now that I know the meanings and have come into my own, I'm not so sure.

Wildwood - I love, love Druidcraft, but Wildwood, not so much. I never read with it. :(

Great thread! It's so interesting to see the same decks being loved and despised. Art is definitely subjective and so is Tarot decks/cards.

ana luisa

Really? I will definitely need your enlightment on that one! I might ask your advice when I next read with it!

Anytime! Actually, the first piece of advice came from Michelle Morgan in her book called "A Magical Course in Tarot" . To me, the secret to reading the Voyager is total surrender to the images. You pick a card and LET your eyes + intuition guide you to the image that relates to the question at hand. Believe me, your eyes will pick different parts of the same card depending on the reading you're doing. I also like the titles. they help me a lot :) If you want we can do some mock readings on a thread ;) Just for practice.

Cheppinthewep

Golden Tarot by Liz Deane - this was my first deck, and I didn't realize until after the fact that there's a difference between illustrated/scenic minors and simple pip cards with just the number and suit. This made it too difficult to learn for a first deck. I'm a fan of the artwork for the majors at least l.

Tanga

Well - I've given away most of the decks that fell into this category years ago,
and mostly these days... I check things out a bit more closely before buying... (to ensure that I like the artwork etc...)
But occasionally still this happens...

So presently I have the Edith Waite - which I must get rid off. (it was a blind buy - I couldn't find much imagery of it at the time - I was going on a recommendation that I read).
I like the colours - but I hate the RWS clone artwork.
I'll never use it - not even to just look at out of curiosity.

I figure it will go in the prize bag, at the next Tarot quiz we have going at the Tarot MeetUp I attend...

magicjack

Golden Tarot by Liz Deane - this was my first deck, and I didn't realize until after the fact that there's a difference between illustrated/scenic minors and simple pip cards with just the number and suit. This made it too difficult to learn for a first deck. I'm a fan of the artwork for the majors at least l.

I do not have this deck but I have often thought of someone wanting to learn tarot and buy this deck because the box is so miss leading.

csmith0406

Wildwood - I love, love Druidcraft, but Wildwood, not so much. I never read with it. :(

Great thread! It's so interesting to see the same decks being loved and despised. Art is definitely subjective and so is Tarot decks/cards.

This IS a great thread!

It seems silly in retrospect, but I was surprised with the first deck I actively disliked once I received. I'd had decks that once I looked at all the cards, found I didn't connect with/inspired by as much as I thought I would, but I was surprised to actively dislike a deck.

But of course that will happen, these decks are designed to be evocative, and not everyone is going to feel good about what is being evoked. And it was Wildwood for me too.

Nemia

When I get buyer's regret, I let the decks go. And that's why I don't regret buying them. I help them on their search to better homes. ;-)