The Stockholm Octavo

starlightexp

There is a companion book called The Octavo Handbook coming out in January with the deck of cards used in the story as well as how to read with them

MikeTheAltarboy

The Octavo Handbook still says "Coming in January" on her main website.
However, I found that she seems to be releasing it a few pages at a time on her tumblr:
http://theoctavohandbook.tumblr.com/
FASTER!

Shade

Very very interested in this one. I saw the book and thought it looked pretty interesting. The plot as outlined in the previews reminds me a bit of The Red Violin with the Tarot reading at the start.

Are people enjoying the deck?

tarotbear

I bought copies of the book and deck for myself and MeeWah for Christmas - but I have yet to have the time to sit down and read it! :bugeyed:

Shade

I see that it is available on Audible.com - I'm assuming that, as a novel, the book doesn't have anything in the way of illustration of the cards within its pages... am I wrong?

tarotbear

I have a paperback 'proof' copy and it does have a few illustrations showing the spreads as the Character uses them in the readings, along with the cards used.

gregory

There are cards shown in black and white in the oversized paperback I have - the full octavo (rather SMALL) at the end - and the deck itself is LOVELY.

Shade

There are cards shown in black and white in the oversized paperback I have - the full octavo (rather SMALL) at the end - and the deck itself is LOVELY.

Good to know, the Octavo itself looks like an intriguing system (though a part of me screeches "Not another system!")

MikeTheAltarboy

(Shade, there are illustrations, although they aren't strictly *necessary* to follow the book.)

I got my own copy of the deck (Actually, three copies, to drive the price up to credit-card level. ;-) Presents?) intending to start my own Octavo on Easter Day. I figured Mrs. Sparrow would approve the time, and it's a feast with its own Octave, to be completed on Low Sunday. Well, I *forgot*. So I'm starting a day late, but on April 1, so that still seems like a good time.

I did a google search to pull of the tumblr I'd mentioned, and saw that the handbook *is* available now on lulu. I'll order it on payday. :-D

So, according to the instructions, I have diagramed the spread as best I can with my compasses and straight-edges.
I selected my
[0. The Seeker] card: The Over of Cups.
I then shuffled, pressed, dealt. Then I shuffled, *forgot to press*, and dealt, shuffled, *forgot to press*, and got my first match on card 2. Hopefully the lack of pressing will be forgiven.
[1. The Companion]: The 8 of Cups. (The tumblr says it should be a young lady.)
So that's where I am!