Talking Decks: Personalities

Lucas Prince of Cats

So, lately I've figured out a lot about my Gilded Tarot, and also gotten a little cold with it (don't worry about that, it's not subject), and I've created this forum to talk about what personalities you've seen in decks before, and request to know about decks with a certain personality.

My Gilded Tarot: So, I'd like to describe my current decks personality as "typically leo" because the cards taht describe s the areas it helps with basically says "social life" it'sd social conscious. But it's also about will and action (fire sign), acting, and it's like more cups/swords than cups. It's a very criticle deck. If you ever go cold with this deck, it's may disrespect you.

Now, today I went out to look for a particularly "libra" deck, after figuring that I wanted a social (as in, it likes to read for others), helpful, enjoys fixing and helping, like the lady justice. I've got the Rider-Waite deck on hold for tommorrow. Any suggestions?

Aeric

I'm not sure how to apply astrology to decks, but I do feel decks have personalities through the flavour of their themes.

The Gay Tarot has been my go-to deck for many years for its straight-laced, no-BS flavour. There's no comforting, no praise, no cushioning, it tells the naked truths of things whether I want to hear it or not. When I need a reality check, when I need to be smacked upside the head, Gay does it for me. It's sass, it's class, All T no Shade.

However when I want deeper, more spiritual exploration, I turn to decks like one of the Goddess decks and Gaian. They can be just as firm and uncompromising as Gay, but the messages are delivered in quieter, deeper tones. It's a teacher who knows that I don't want harsh treatment at the moment, but still needs to get its message across.

When I want to escape into a fantasy world of magic and delight, I pick decks like Robin Wood, Circle of Life, and Cosmic Tribe. I can free my mind and rely entirely on my heart and imagination, laugh and sing and let feelings surge without restraint. They are the ones that take my hand and pull me into another world where messages can be worked out with dazzling displays and fabulous imagery.

Lucas Prince of Cats

Well, it's just that I've had astrology on the brain lately, so that's why.

Lareia

I definitely notice differences in personality between my decks. Do I react to the different styles or does it have spiritual reasons? Beats me. :D

My Shadowscapes is very Queen of Swordsy. It's detached and impartial and it tells you how it is... and if you don't want to acknowledge it it'll slap you in the face with it.
The Mystical Cats is cheeky but also helpful, a bit akin to a friend you ask for help. Sometimes the advice you get is a bit tongue in cheek , though...
I haven't had my Maroon tarot long enough to figure out how it reads yet.

Lucas Prince of Cats

Shadowscspes you say? Let me check it out!

treelet

This is actually part of the reason I bought The Fountain! It just screamed "Aquarius" at me. The minimalistic but refined art; the emphasis on straight, clean lines and sacred geometry; the cohesive color palette; everything just said, "I'm an Aquarius, individualistic, humanitarian, and to the point, you have to buy me." And I was right (or perhaps I'm projecting), but the deck reads very clearly for me. As a deck it is absolutely no nonsense and pulls no punches, to the point where I found it sort of intimidating at first. It places a lot of emphasis on changing perspectives and higher callings.

By comparison, my Pagan Cats deck feels like a stern but loving teacher. I'm not sure what sign it would be, but it's been by turns caring, gentle, but also lecturing and constantly nudging. Little bit of a sarcastic sense of humor too. I know not to press it for too many answers. Possibly a Sagittarius?

My "fixing and helping" deck has been Thea's tarot, but I think partially that's the nature of the deck and its relevancy to my personal identity politics. Motherpeace gives me a similar vibe. I have many Libras in my life and gentle isn't really what I'd call them. Charming, beauty-loving, communicative, changeable, and justice-oriented, sure.

Lucas Prince of Cats

Shadowscspes you say? Let me check it out!