Best Tarot books you've come across?

Little Hare

hmm its all sooooo

hiya,
i find that to read tarot i am better off not purchasing books on tarot (i've gone though so many books!) but i'm getting curious
what do you all think are the best Tarot books you've come across?

blessings
Pixie

Arnaud

I ve read a lot of books, but my favorites are:

"Designing Your Own Tarot Spreads", by Theresa Michelsen, from Llewelyn. Excellent book, lots and lots of idea, very inspiring.

"Forest of souls", by Rachel Pollack, a very interesting book for the advanced reader, that is discussed on an other thread here.

"Understanding Aleister Crowley Thoth Tarot" by Lon Milo Duquette. Fascinating book on the Thoth Tarot, the life of its author, full of humor and references. Deep and interesting if you want to know why there is a monkey on the magician card, who this monkey is, and what does he mean :)

Arnaud

Little Hare

the forest of souls sounds like a great book! i'll have to check it out
Blessings
Pixie

Aun

My favorites:

1) "78 Degrees of Wisdom" by Rachel Pollack

2) "Understanding Aleister Crowley Thoth Tarot" by Lon Milo Duquette.

3) "Tarot for Yourself" by Mary K. Greer

edited to add

4) "Tarot Handbook" by Angeles Arrien

Rose

To the books already mentioned I would add:

"Learning the Tarot" by Joan Bunning (For Beginner's)
"Tarot Reversals" by Mary Greer
"The Encyclopedia of Tarot," Vol. 1-3 by Stuart Kaplan

hyatt

"Forest of souls" by Rachel Pollack is on the very top of my list. I liked her "78 degrees" book also but Forest of Souls really brings up some interesting questions and ideas. It isn't your basic how to book, it is more philosophy I guess.
Right now I am working through " Tarot for Yourself" workbook by Greer. I really like parts of it but dislike parts too.
I've read a ton of books, but Forest of Souls to me is the only one I really loved and couldn't put down.

Rusty Neon

Currently for me, it's

Jodorowsky: _La Voie du Tarot_

dolphingirl

Learning the Tarot" by Joan Bunning- I love the way things are layed out in this book, I still use it for reference

78 Degrees of Wisdom- talk about indepth info on the cards

Tarot for yourself Mary K Greer- gives you things to Do with your tarot decks!

Fey Tarot book - great book on this deck, I love the behind the scenes

Robin Wood book - I love reading this one it is so friendly and approachable

Jeannette

For people who prefer to approach tarot from a Kabalistic point of view, I can't recommend Robert Wang's The Qabbalistic Tarot enough. It's more oriented toward persons who are interested in using tarot for pathworking, but there's many useful insights for readers as well.

It's currently out-of-print, but a new edition is slated to be released next year (2005).

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

AmbitiousMind

"The Complete Guide to the Tarot" by Eden Gray
I try to have this book (along with a LWB) at my side on every reading.

"Tarot: A New Handbook for the Apprentice" by Connolly Tarot
A great source on learning your cards!

"The Tarot Directory" by Annie Lionnet
I just purchased this book and it could replace my Eden Gray book as a quick reference guide.

"Designing Your Own Tarot Spreads" by Teresa Michelsen
This is one of the easiest books to read! Very reader friendly and a great guide to creating spreads or using the spreads within the book.