Best Tarot books you've come across?

Two of Wands

"Forest of souls" by Rachel Pollack is an amazing book. It's the most mature, philosophical look at Tarot that I have ever seen in print. If anyone knows any other books on Tarot that deal with it in this way, please let me know. As tempting as they sometimes appear I really do not need to read any more books that go through the meaning of each card page by page and then show some spreads at the back. I know all this. What I crave is discussion on Tarot. It's history, it's use through the ages and it's other uses and meanings other than divination.

That is what is so lovely about "Forrest of Souls", it delves deep into the possible meanings of the whole concept of tarot, it's place in the world and why we are drawn to it. It makes you look at Tarot on a much wider scale and allows you to enjoy it, invest time in it and think about it on a much higher level.

More books like this please!

A.

Arnaud

Two of Wands said:
As tempting as they sometimes appear I really do not need to read any more books that go through the meaning of each card page by page and then show some spreads at the back. I know all this. What I crave is discussion on Tarot. It's history, it's use through the ages and it's other uses and meanings other than divination.
A.

If you read french, you could enjoy very much "La Voie du Tarot", the new book by A. Jodorowsky. Very interesting, and is is definitely an "advanced book".

Arnaud

tmgrl2

So far...
In English: Silvie Simon's The Tarot: Art, Mysticism and Divination
Greer's Tarot for YourSelf
Pollacks' Complete Illustrated Guide to Tarot

Also, just started browsing through a new one called:
Practical Problem Solving and Advice: Tarot Your Everyday Guide by Janina Renee...not bad! Llewellyn Publication.

I have A Wicked Pack of Cards and A History of the Occult Tarot recommended by Umbrae....will read soon!

Then, in French
Klea's Au Fil d'Arcane
Jodrowsky's La Voie du Tarot

Also, I am reading Meditations on the Tarot (anonymous)
Up to Chapter Four...very slow going, but marvelous!

Of course, I do searches here at AT, and get very valuable threads on almost any topic of interest.

terri

Majecot

I too like Forest of Souls, I think that one would be at the top of my list....

I have 78 degrees as well, but I have yet to crack the spine. I also found Tarot for a New Generation interesting.

Sulis

My favorites are:

'Pictures from the heart - A tarot dictionary' - Sandra Thompson

'Tarot Reversals' - Mary K Greer

'Tarot , your everyday guide' - Janina Renee

Love

Sulis xx

Two of Wands

"If you read french, you could enjoy very much "La Voie du Tarot", the new book by A. Jodorowsky. Very interesting, and is is definitely an "advanced book"."

Allas I cannot read French. Could you tell me just a little of what this book is about, and its approach, as I should be very interested to know.

Many thanks,

A.

tmgrl2

The link here started by Rusty, discusses La Voie du Tarot and if you scroll down there is an interesting link to an interview with the author:

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27216&highlight=Jodorowsky+Voie+du+Tarot

Since then I have purchased the book. It is not a read-through book as it is about 575 pages long, but it does discuss the Tarot de Marseille, Camoin-Jodorowsky pictures included.

It has sections on Numerology of the Tarot, the colors (as used in the Camoin-Jodo deck ).

It also discusses each of the majors and minors focusing on specific elements, some of which the Camoin-Jodo deck is to have "restored" from the Conver. Then it discusses card pairs, and gives some exercises for reading. Jodo intersperses his discussions with pieces of material from his lectures over time.

This is a very cursory overview. I'm sure others can fill in better. I find that I will go there to look up something in a card while studying it or doing an online reading. But I also use Klea's book, which goes into greater depth on numbers, colors, floral elements of the pips....Her book, Au Fil d'Arcane is almost 1000 pages, again not a read-through for me. She also wrote Les Lettres-Nombres, another tome.

If you search under Marseille decks Forum, there are a number of threads that have some pieces translated as well.

terri

Two of Wands

Thanks Terri, I will follow those links.

A.

Tarotphelia

Tarot: Your Everyday Guide , Janina Renee

Tarot Shadow Work: Using the Dark Symbols to Heal , Christine Jette

Tarot Celebrations: Honoring the Inner Voice, Geraldine Amaral, Nancy Brady Cunningham

Spiritual Tarot: Seventy-Eight Paths to Personal Development , Robert Miller, Sandra A. Thomson, Signe E. Echols M.S.

Understanding the Tarot: A Personal Teaching Guide , Juliet Sharman-Burke

Super Tarot: New Techniques for Improving Your Tarot Reading, Sasha Fenton

Sexual Key to the Tarot , Theodor Laurence

Pictorial Key to the Tarot , Arthur E. Waite

The Path , Whitley Strieber

Tarot and Psychology: Spectrums of Possibility, Arthur Rosengarten

BlueLotus

Although this Online-Course-turned-to-Book, Guide to the Pythagorean Tarot, An Interpretation Based on Pythagorean & Alchemical Principles is supposed to accompany The Pythagorean Tarot, I think it is the most comprehensive of its kind .

This 480 page book goes into extensive but readable details if one has the time and inclination to do so.