Tarot of Marseilles - Adding to wishlist

Eco74

I've been thinking about expanding my varied collection of cards with a Marseilles deck and would like it to be as Marseilles as Marseilles can possibly get.

Looking at Tarot Garden I get the impression that the Ancient Tarot of Marseilles is one of the most "ancient" and original decks available (and I can order it from my regular sullpier at a reasonable cost too).

What I would like before I make a permanent addition to my wishlist (making christmasshopping even easier for my family) is some hint on what the 'marseilles-junkies' on the forum think about the deck in question, and if there are recommendations on other decks.

To have a varied collection one must have varied points of view and what better than getting them from varied people? ;o)

smleite

Am I a Marseilles-junky? Well, the first step to fight an addiction is to admit it, isn’t it?

I am not sure of how I would choose a deck if I was particularly interested in having a good and complete collection. I started with a Fournier deck, which I still think is great to work with, but not very attractive. I don’t like the colours, and too many details are lost or carelessly interpreted. But it is nice to begin with, if you want to actually read with the cards, and I will probably use it for a long time. Then I fall in love with the Camoin – Jodorowski deck, but latter found it to be a bit tricky… The Hadar deck is probably the most beautiful and the best modern Marseilles version available, for several reasons.

You will find many opinions about this decks in AT, if you do a search on the subject. Why don’t you start by reading Aecletic’s reviews on the different decks? The link to the Hadar deck is http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/hadar-marseilles/review.shtml#277, and the Camoin – Jodorowski version is in http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/marseilles/review.shtml#166.

As to the Conver, I think a good collection should include it – but I am not sure about the Ancient Tarot version. Maybe someone else can help you here? Well, I would get a Hadar if I could only buy one and wanted to use it for readings AND study (always bearing in mind that, about those modern versions, we can always be sure they integrate some personal “touches” of their authors), and I would probably get a good Conver version to make a collection complete.

Silvia

Rusty Neon

Eco74 said:
I've been thinking about expanding my varied collection of cards with a Marseilles deck and would like it to be as Marseilles as Marseilles can possibly get.

Here's a post where I gave an overview of the various Marseilles decks:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=327623

If you want a Marseilles deck that's as Marseilles as one can possibly get I'd recommend:

First, the 1760 Conver (Héron) -- photoreproduction

Then, the Marteau (Dusserre) as a modern redrawing with accurate linework

Then, the Jodorowsky-Camoin, in preference to the Hadar, as a modern re-creation deck

Rusty Neon

smleite said:
Then I fall in love with the Camoin – Jodorowski deck, but latter found it to be a bit tricky… The Hadar deck is probably the most beautiful and the best modern Marseilles version available, for several reasons.

Sylvia ... I'm curious why you found the Camoin-Jodorowsky to be a bit tricky. Wouldn't you experience the same problem, or worse, with the Hadar?

smleite

Originally posted by Rusty Neon
I'm curious why you found the Camoin-Jodorowsky to be a bit tricky. Wouldn't you experience the same problem, or worse, with the Hadar?

Oh, Rusty Neon, I probably would. In fact, now you ask, the Hadar is certainly trickier to me, because I think I trust it too much… whilst I have several reservations about the Camoin, and that makes me more aware of its possible misinterpretations or adulterations. This said, I think both take it a bit too far, in the sense they do are personal interpretations, even when relatively restrained (or not…).

The problem is not the personal interpretation – I think Marseilles decks CAN be interpreted, too! But authors shouldn’t advertise as if they were selling a rigorously traditional version, then.

Still, I must say I trust Hadar’s interpretation better than I trust Camoin-Jodo one… as long I as keep in mind that it is an interpretation.

This said, thanks for your question – it was a bit of an “eye-opener”, but to a very personal question. I still think the Hadar deck is a degree above the Camoin, and is slightly preferable to a beginner than the latter.

Silvia

Alta

I have discussed this with Eco and am moving it.