Dark Angel Tarot: The Hanged Man

IreneCroft

I don't want to start a new thread about the deck to ask just one question, so I post it here.

I'd like to know what's going on in the Hanged Man card. Is the angel hanging on a rope tied around her waist? Or is she pierced by a spear? What do you see? Maybe there are some comments from the artist about the card?

I think that detail changes the meaning drastically: from mere curiosity (bungee jumping for angels - "don't use your wings and feel danger as the mortals do") to painful understanding of the other's situation ("die as the mortals do").

So is it a rope or a spear?

P.S.: if the question was discussed before, please, show me where. Thank you!

Hemera

Hanged Man

I'd like to know what's going on in the Hanged Man card. Is the angel hanging on a rope tied around her waist? Or is she pierced by a spear? What do you see? Maybe there are some comments from the artist about the card?
I´ve always seen this angel as an acrobat who is hanging from a wire. She is daring and skillful and but also surrendering to the moment. I think this fits the Hanged Man just perfectly; letting go, suspension, and even sacrifice, a leap in the dark.

I think that detail changes the meaning drastically: from mere curiosity (bungee jumping for angels - "don't use your wings and feel danger as the mortals do") to painful understanding of the other's situation ("die as the mortals do").
I think even if it is just the wire of an acrobat there is still danger included, possibly also pain and there is always that leap in the dark. So maybe the difference isn´t that big after all?
I actually have a colleague who works in a circus every now and then and tours and performs in Europe. She says every performansce is taking a risk and however well you plan there are always surprises in store. Usually just minor ones and often good/funny ones. But a performance is always a leap in the dark. You just trust and then you jump..