Justice....who is she really, and why does she wear a blindfold ?

Sharla

In the rider Waite deck, no she's not blindfolded. But in regards to detail I do prefer my legacy of the divine deck, for little bits of secret symbolism, including astrological associations.

Anyway I've been getting this card quite frequently due to a certain situation ive recently been reading about....but from what i already know about the card, it doesn't make sense in regards to the query, so I've decided to delve deeper...as deep as I can go basically.

So in my legacy of the divine deck two women are side by side with their eyes covered, not by a scarf like the popular "lady justice" image shows, it's more like an eye mask covering their eyes, but obviously doing the same thing.

So there's a message in this, but what ? ....it's this I'm trying to uncover.

From what I've read so far "lady justice" has her eyes covered so that she doesn't judge from vision, i.e. Different race, gender, religion etc......do she can make a fair judgement going by her mind and soul and she has no one or nothing to sway her mind.

Is there anything else I'm missing ? .....regarding the blindfolds.

Lady justice was supposed to have been blind, so is this something to do with it ?

think

Maybe she can't 'see' the truth. Her mind is already made up.

MissNine

She's a Roman goddess.

The blindfold: The blindfold represents objectivity, in that justice is or should be meted out objectively, without fear or favour, regardless of money, wealth, fame, power, or identity; blind justice and impartiality. (Wiki) similar to what you've said.

As a tarot major, I've had this card represent the sitter needing to keep a balanced mind and weigh all options before making a decision on something. Seeing things as just and getting what is just, but not necessarily what they want. Having a level head.

For more on Lady Justice: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Justice

Sharla

Maybe she can't 'see' the truth. Her mind is already made up.

But what about if I'm asking about someone else, not myself ? So their refusing to see and look at things about how they are ? They'd rather cover their eyes about the situation ?

Sharla

She's a Roman goddess.

The blindfold: The blindfold represents objectivity, in that justice is or should be meted out objectively, without fear or favour, regardless of money, wealth, fame, power, or identity; blind justice and impartiality. (Wiki) similar to what you've said.

As a tarot major, I've had this card represent the sitter needing to keep a balanced mind and weigh all options before making a decision on something. Seeing things as just and getting what is just, but not necessarily what they want. Having a level head.

For more on Lady Justice: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Justice

Yes okay this sort of makes sense, but then going in this card.....why is justice a female ? Does this mean it's the female who's in charge, in regard to the situation ?

MissNine

Yes okay this sort of makes sense, but then going in this card.....why is justice a female ? Does this mean it's the female who's in charge, in regard to the situation ?

From the wiki article, I understood that justice is the Roman goddess, equivalent to the Greek goddess Themis. She is the personification of the abstract concept of divine justice. She was also an oracle.

think

But what about if I'm asking about someone else, not myself ? So their refusing to see and look at things about how they are ? They'd rather cover their eyes about the situation ?
Yeah, I think it shows up in situations where there is a kind of karmic imbalance, but that things couldn't be balanced to be fair to everyone anyway. If a decision is made to restore an imbalance in one area, then another suffers. The blindfold may be there to signify this - yeah, balance can be restored, but 'she' is not seeing that another imbalance is created in doing so.

Sharla

From the wiki article, I understood that justice is the Roman goddess, equivalent to the Greek goddess Themis.

I've read this article too...but does this mean it's the woman in charge as the justice is obviously a female ? And it's so not very popular to have a female in charge, especially as a "justice" person. So why a female ?

This is what's making me think, that the cards saying are saying that in regards to the reading, that it's the female who should lay down the rules etc....what ya think ?

yannie

Coming from a legal background... No, that's not what justice is, nor what the blindfold represents. It means in making a decision (sword) she's being objective, without fear or favour, regardless of wealth, identity etc (blindfold). It's not a karmic card. Her decision is based strictly on the facts of the case, the weight/validity of the arguments put forth (scales).

That it's Lady justice is merely symbolic, although deeply so, not that it's the female who should lay down the rules & etc.

Thirteen

Justice doesn't make the rules....

To the contrary. The blindfold means they'd rather be objective rather than subjective. Now, you might not like this. If this person is a friend, then why aren't they doing you favors or being friendly? Why are they siding with that person rather than you? You may resent this, but, to their mind, they're being impartial. They're ignoring that you're a friend and looking only at the situation.
why is justice a female ?
As the article says, it comes down from the Egyptian Maat who was female. I believe the reason for a female being Justice relates back to the first "judge" most of use know: Mom. In ancient days, men went out hunting, women gathering, and the ones left to care for the kids were moms and grandmas. So, they were the decision makers. The judges. And often the society revered a goddess and relied on priestesses who had visions. So, the female was seen as having this connection to some higher power. And if you have two people in a dispute, and don't know who is telling the truth, often some woman who had these visionary powers was trusted to know "This one did it."
that it's the female who should lay down the rules etc....what ya think ?
It's pretty ironic that you're asking about Justice's blindfold, and yet all you're seeing is that she's a woman. She's blindfolding for the purpose of NOT judging a person on anything but the evidence. Would you like her to say, "I see you're a woman and that makes me feel you're guilty" rather than ignoring your sex and focusing on the evidence? ;) Maybe the message here is that you should ignore the gender of the Justice card, because it's creating a bias in your reading.

As a rule, a good reader never assume that just because the card features a man/woman, that it's talking bout man/woman. There are men who can be Empresses, women who can be Emperors. Look for personality over gender. Who is the most fair-minded person in this situation? That's Justice. And Justice isn't about making rules. The Emperor makes rules. Justice is there to decide if the rules are fair, and, if they are fair, to make sure that whoever breaks them makes restitution and restores the balance.