Can't See the Wood For The Trees!

kwaw

Rosanne said:
My first question has been answered. It is a tree from the Sefer HaShmoth ~Rosanne

Is this the 'channelled' work produced in the 1970's? Or some other book? I am not sure about it being a 'Sefer Yetzira' tree.

http://www.workofthechariot.com/TextFiles/Sources-Names.html

It is very similar to a tree I have produced for myself, but I place venus where sun is, mercury where venus is, and sun in centre [number 2 on diagram].

Kwaw

Rosanne

Thank you Kwaw! I am pleased I am not nuts with this diagram. I do not know enough about different ToL diagrams - but I wanted to know if it possibly had a name. Yes, it is obviously from the work channeled in the 1970's, looking at that link. I am just taking someone else's view, without having personal knowledge to back it up. I tried to do this diagram because I could see 24 paths on the usual ToL - not 22.
I did this in response to the attributions list in the RiderWaite forum thread about planetary mess.
Great news about the fingers and Sephiroth Kwaw, only if it is not too much trouble to dig the stuff out.
No worries BrightEye- I am out of my depth in many ways as well.~Rosanne

Rosanne

Kwaw said:
It is very similar to a tree I have produced for myself, but I place venus where sun is, mercury where venus is, and sun in centre [number 2 on diagram].
Did you do this to get male correspondences on left pillar and female ones like the Star/Venus on the Right?
I put Mercury in position 2 as a tribute to le Bateleur/Magician on the Air line }) But the Sun would work well there, except that path has Judgement on it :cool:
aghhhh I don't know much here! ~Rosanne

kwaw

Rosanne said:
But the Sun would work well there, except that path has Judgement on it :cool:

Put Judgment where you like, as I attribute the letter shin to it and if following the 3,7,12 route then I would for example place it on the top horizontal. One set of atts for planets to vertical paths might for example go:

TreePlanetsVertical.gif

Kwaw

kwaw

kwaw said:
Put Judgment where you like, as I attribute the letter shin to it and if following the 3,7,12 route then I would for example place it on the top horizontal. One set of atts for planets to vertical paths might for example go:

TreePlanetsVertical.gif

Kwaw

Or here is a sleight variation with the seven double letters attributed to the 7 lower sefiroth [one of course of several variations]:

TreePlanetsVerticalAlefBeit.gif

Beit - Malkuth - Saturn
Gimel - Chesed - Jupiter
Daleth - Din - Mars
Kaph - Tifareth - Sun
Pe - Netzach - Venus
Resh - Hod - Mercury
Tau - Yesod - Moon

{another variation for example would start beith-chesed then down in order}

Kwaw

venicebard

Rosanne said:
On the other hand I do not like to think I am thinking I am in step when I am not.(if not)
This is one of the most delightful sentences I have ever read.
kwaw said:
each digit is divided into 3 parts . . .
Reminds one of finger-ogham, though there the digits are divided not in tres partes but in quatuor partes.
kwaw said:
Is this the 'channelled' work produced in the 1970's? Or some other book? I am not sure about it being a 'Sefer Yetzira' tree.

http://www.workofthechariot.com/TextFiles/Sources-Names.html
Interesting: I have the 'Work of the Chariot' edition of Sefer Yetzirah from the 70s (first copy I owned), and it has a Tree diagram of the same configuration (as Rosanne's). I'll go get it from storage today (along with Leat's book) and describe it next time I'm here.
kwaw said:
Or here is a sleight variation with the seven double letters attributed to the 7 lower sefiroth [one of course of several variations]:

TreePlanetsVerticalAlefBeit.gif

Beit - Malkuth - Saturn
Gimel - Chesed - Jupiter
Daleth - Din - Mars
Kaph - Tifareth - Sun
Pe - Netzach - Venus
Resh - Hod - Mercury
Tau - Yesod - Moon
This allocation makes good sense to me (ignoring your trump-assignments, of course): return the lower Sophia, then, to the upper and you have the normal planetary relation to the Tree (that is, the order based on length-of-cycle), with Saturn at Binah (or Da'at, if you're so inclined).

(PS. I made sure I didn't mention a single tree, lest I obscure the wood.)

kwaw

venicebard said:
This allocation makes good sense to me (ignoring your trump-assignments, of course): return the lower Sophia, then, to the upper and you have the normal planetary relation to the Tree (that is, the order based on length-of-cycle), with Saturn at Binah (or Da'at, if you're so inclined).

Tis one of my prefered options (including my trump assignments, of course), with the higher and lower Sophia / Saturn reference (to which there are refences in very early kabbalastic commentaries to the SY).

Kwaw

venicebard

venicebard said:
Interesting: I have the 'Work of the Chariot' edition of Sefer Yetzirah from the 70s (first copy I owned), and it has a Tree diagram of the same configuration (as Rosanne's). I'll go get it from storage today (along with Leat's book) and describe it next time I'm here.
Next time is here.

1970 edition (I think I got it about a year after it was published, but don't tell anyone I'm that old): Book of Formation (Sepher Yetzirah): The Letters of Our Father Abraham. Mishnah 3 (p. 1) begins: "There are TEN INTANGIBLE SEPHIROT the number of the ten fingers, five opposite five," to which it appends note 3: "This is illustrated in page 3, and obtained by cupping the fingers opposed to each other pointing towards one's face."

The illustration referred to is the Tree in the form we are discussing (without a 'dangling Malkut'), but the order of their generation is quite different:

- - - - - - - - - YHV
- - - - - - - - 5th Up
- - - - - - - - HEIGHT

- VHY - - - - - - - - - - - - - HYV
10th Left - - - - - - - - - 7th Forward
NORTH - - - - - - - - - - - - EAST

- - - - - Covenant of Unity
- - - - - - - - - 1st
- - - - - Spirit of Living Elohim
- - - - - - - - FIRST

- Shin - - - - - - - - - - - - - Mem
4th Fire - - - - - - - - - - 3rd Water
- EVIL - - - - - - -- - - - - - GOOD

- - - - - - - - Aleph
- - - - - - - - - 2nd
- - - - - - - - - Air
- - - - - - - - LAST

- - HVY - - - - - - - - - - - VYH
8th Backward - - - - - - - 9th Right
- - WEST - - - - - - - - - - SOUTH

- - - - - - - - - YVH
- - - - - - - - 6th Down
- - - - - - - - ABYSS

ALL CAPS are the permutations of yod, heh, and vav with which extremities are said to be sealed (I believe the one presented here is the genuine tradition concerning this, though different versions differ) and the extremities of the five axes: that of logical progression (first-last), that of morality (good-evil), the vertical (height-abyss), the axis of motion (east-west), and the axle of the wheel of that motion (south-north).

I still don't have a clue how the Sefirot apply to the 10 fingers. I know that primes and not-primes are in symmetrical balance in 10 (only number for which this is so): 1-2-3-5-7 vs. 10-9-8-6-4. The left would presumably be the not-primes . . . or not, I just haven't a clue at this point.

I have, however, recently solved the mystery of which mother letter goes with which axis in relation to man:

Mem-sofit is the right-left axis, for its wheel is the wheel.

Shin is the up-down axis, for it is (the part of the self that relates to the macrocosm and) the Cauldron, whose rim is the wheel whose axle is vertical.

Alef is the forward-back axis, for it is the one that is left (and for other reasons I won't go into here [unless asked]).

And intermediate mem, then, would be the point where they meet, I suppose. But the axis represented by mem-sofit isn't really the right-left axis, for right and left are both out and mem-sofit's wheel (the all-encompassing Monad) goes from up to out to down to in to up. (Perhaps in this sense intermediate mem can be thought of as the right-left axis once it differentiates itself.)

venicebard

venicebard said:
I still don't have a clue how the Sefirot apply to the 10 fingers.
I take this back: I do have a working model, however strange it may seem.

One begins by counting to 4 on the fingers of the right hand, beginning with the index finger, as these are the channels by which one can affect each element. The reflexions of these as 5-8 (-4 through -1) one counts on the left hand beginning with the pinky, since they are the reflexions, channels whereby the elements can affect us. Then 9 and 10, which in the deeper layer of Qabbalah with which I am dealing represent feeling and desire respectively (the former dominant in females, the latter dominant in males), meaning the doer's or psyche's input and output, are the left and right thumbs, the thumb being that which unites the effects of the other four fingers (as when hitchhiking, for example).

Outta time (sighs all round).

Rosanne

venicebard said:
This is one of the most delightful sentences I have ever read. <snip>
(PS. I made sure I didn't mention a single tree, lest I obscure the wood.)
Hehe it is obvious that I can speak in tongues in English. Glossolalia is the language of mystics, so I must be getting there. :D
Speaking of trees- I am impressed that I could design one that made sense, even if it is not used much. I can assure you it was not channeled. Well I have been reading yours and Kwaw's posts for long enough for something of the information to have stuck.
It is a strange world this Jewish mysticism. Takes me right out of my comfort zone. I took the associations of the Rider Waite, for so long, as the way things were...It did not occur to me that I could design my own correspondences. I am trying to free myself up...which is hard for a submarine Catholic. Thanks for the information folks- I will continue to consider. ~Rosanne