North Node of the Moon

Butterfly

Apart from sounding bizarre, has anyone read about positions of the North node of the moon. It's a really fascinating area of astrology (no idea if it's reliable or not) that deals with life lessons, karmic lessons, past lives and fulfillment in this lifetime.
For example, my North node is in Capricorn. This life one of my lessons is about being independant, standing on my own, stop being a perennial child and taking self responsibility. In my past lives I was the centre of my clan, and very attached to my home. This time I need to learn about being on my own, not relying on others and not using my house as a security blanket.
Anyway, it's from a book by Jan Spiller called Astrology for the Soul. Fascinating read!

Pollux

Karmic Astrology definitely ROCKS!!! :D
Sure it is an interesting subject! You'll happen to stumble in many posts about this, I'm sure! I love this topic too. :)
And, you know, there's also a branch called "Diagnostic Astrology", that should be the use of the Birth Chart to identify aspects that could hint at certain diseases and illnesses that the person tends to befall... This surely sounds interesting for a Physician-To-Be (that is ME! :D ).

My Nodes are in GeminiN/SagS. Lately, I experienced my first North-on-North Passage, as the Node stepped on my birth position. Hey, it surely was a harsh time (and, also for the Saturn/Pluto opposition, it still is! :( ) But, however, I keep my faith in this Teaching Saturn. I surely grew a lot these days (if you looked at me unshaven, you'd certainly agree with me! *LOL* :D ).

I wonder if I'll ever manage to grab one of the books suggested on this forum. However, italian Astro-Literature, even though sometimes is more "Astro-LitterMyBookshelf", also includes valable translations of masterpieces. I'll gor for them, definitely! :D

AquarianGoddess

What I like best about the nodes is telling if I have a past-life connection with someone. If someone has a planet close to your south node (within a few degrees) they "owe" you something from a past life, or if you're the "planet" person, you owe them. I always like to pay off my karmic debts.

AG

jade

ag,

i never knew that........thanks!

now that's USEABLE info!

LOL
jade

StellarMyst

If I'm a North Node in Cancer...?

Butterfly said:
Apart from sounding bizarre, has anyone read about positions of the North node of the moon. It's a really fascinating area of astrology (no idea if it's reliable or not) that deals with life lessons, karmic lessons, past lives and fulfillment in this lifetime.
For example, my North node is in Capricorn. This life one of my lessons is about being independant, standing on my own, stop being a perennial child and taking self responsibility. In my past lives I was the centre of my clan, and very attached to my home. This time I need to learn about being on my own, not relying on others and not using my house as a security blanket.
Anyway, it's from a book by Jan Spiller called Astrology for the Soul. Fascinating read!

Hi,

My issue is this: Recently, I have had occasion to get back into my Past Life studies. I have run across something online about ...for example "Libra Past Life etc.". Does this depend upon the ASC, or the Location of the North Node etc.?

A stab @ better-framed: Would Butterfly's North Node in Capricorn mean that would be a *Capricorn Past Life*?

Sorry if this is a pain-in-the-buttox to anyone!

Thanks in advance!

~StellarMyst

dadsnook2000

Basics

In order to understand what the Moon's North Node means we should go back to the basics -- what is the Node, how does it change, what does it signify for the Moon, how is it seen in a chart, how is it interpreted, etc.?

The Moon orbits the Earth on a different plane than that of the Earth-Sun plane. This Earth-Moon orbital plane is inclined to the Earth-Sun plane -- where it intersects is where the "nodes" are. The North Node is the point where the Moon passes through this intersecting point of the two planes and appears to move northward. The South Node is the opposite point where the Moon moves southward from the intersection point of the two planes.

The Nodal points don't remain stationary. They move in retrograde motion along the Earth-Sun plane, taking some 19 years to complete a full cycle. In an astronomical sense, the Nodal axis defines a relationship between the Sun and the Moon with the Earth as a common point of focus.

Although not mentioned in the books, the Sun's apparent movement northward in the summer and southward in the winter is due to the inclination of the Earth's pole relative to how it is positioned toward the Sun. This causes what we see as "declination". Declination defines the signs for the Sun.

The Moon moves relative to its nodes and its north-south movement and position relative to the nodes defines its declination. Did you know that the Moon has its own zodiac? It's called the Draconic Zodiac -- but very few know this or use this zodiac for the Moon, everyone imposes the Sun's zodiac on the Moon. Doesn't make much sense.

The Nodes have accumulated a number of proscribed meanings over the years. In concrete terms, the N.Node seems to relate to associations and the interaction with people who need help or who can teach you something. The S.Node seems to relate to people and skills you have known or developed in some previous period, whether it be in a past life or earlier in life. Hence the S.Node is associated with the past, the N.Node with the future.

The nodes are those present areas of space where eclipses can occur. These are special conjunctions or oppositions of the Sun and Moon where the light of one of the bodies is obscured for a short period of time. It is only when the Sun and Moon are within seven degrees or so of the nodal axis that an eclipse can occur. During their brief occurrance, a path across the globe is traced. It is along this short path, a few a hundred or a few thousand miles, that the effects of the eclipse for nations and peoples are most significantly seen. An eclipse point within a sensitive area of a person's chart is often also important to note.

A number of Karmic attributes are assigned to the Nodes. That is a study in itself. While seldom "provable", nodal-karma issues are interesting to study and often seem to provide useful information.

Planetary aspects to the Nodes such as conjunctions, oppositions and squares seem easiest to match with personal experiences. Connections between houses and nodal positions are often easy to find and assess. Signs are something else, as only the Sun's signs can change for the Moon's nodes. By definition the Moon's nodes are always as the Draconic zodiac's Aries or Libra points.

One can more easily remember what the two nodes mean if one equates or links the South Node of the Moon to the sign meaning of Aries -- one can do what one wants to do. The North Node of the Moon might be seen as being somewhat similar to Libra -- one needs to relate to and accomodate others in order to gain lfie's lessons.

Just a few observations. Dave

StellarMyst

You Rock!

dadsnook2000 said:
In order to understand what the Moon's North Node means we should go back to the basics -- what is the Node, how does it change, what does it signify for the Moon, how is it seen in a chart, how is it interpreted, etc.?

The Moon orbits the Earth on a different plane than that of the Earth-Sun plane. This Earth-Moon orbital plane is inclined to the Earth-Sun plane -- where it intersects is where the "nodes" are. The North Node is the point where the Moon passes through this intersecting point of the two planes and appears to move northward. The South Node is the opposite point where the Moon moves southward from the intersection point of the two planes.

The Nodal points don't remain stationary. They move in retrograde motion along the Earth-Sun plane, taking some 19 years to complete a full cycle. In an astronomical sense, the Nodal axis defines a relationship between the Sun and the Moon with the Earth as a common point of focus.

Although not mentioned in the books, the Sun's apparent movement northward in the summer and southward in the winter is due to the inclination of the Earth's pole relative to how it is positioned toward the Sun. This causes what we see as "declination". Declination defines the signs for the Sun.

The Moon moves relative to its nodes and its north-south movement and position relative to the nodes defines its declination. Did you know that the Moon has its own zodiac? It's called the Draconic Zodiac -- but very few know this or use this zodiac for the Moon, everyone imposes the Sun's zodiac on the Moon. Doesn't make much sense.

The Nodes have accumulated a number of proscribed meanings over the years. In concrete terms, the N.Node seems to relate to associations and the interaction with people who need help or who can teach you something. The S.Node seems to relate to people and skills you have known or developed in some previous period, whether it be in a past life or earlier in life. Hence the S.Node is associated with the past, the N.Node with the future.

The nodes are those present areas of space where eclipses can occur. These are special conjunctions or oppositions of the Sun and Moon where the light of one of the bodies is obscured for a short period of time. It is only when the Sun and Moon are within seven degrees or so of the nodal axis that an eclipse can occur. During their brief occurrance, a path across the globe is traced. It is along this short path, a few a hundred or a few thousand miles, that the effects of the eclipse for nations and peoples are most significantly seen. An eclipse point within a sensitive area of a person's chart is often also important to note.

A number of Karmic attributes are assigned to the Nodes. That is a study in itself. While seldom "provable", nodal-karma issues are interesting to study and often seem to provide useful information.

Planetary aspects to the Nodes such as conjunctions, oppositions and squares seem easiest to match with personal experiences. Connections between houses and nodal positions are often easy to find and assess. Signs are something else, as only the Sun's signs can change for the Moon's nodes. By definition the Moon's nodes are always as the Draconic zodiac's Aries or Libra points.

One can more easily remember what the two nodes mean if one equates or links the South Node of the Moon to the sign meaning of Aries -- one can do what one wants to do. The North Node of the Moon might be seen as being somewhat similar to Libra -- one needs to relate to and accomodate others in order to gain lfie's lessons.

Just a few observations. Dave

Thanks for the reply! :D I'll have to print it out for reference....;)

Blessings,

StellarMyst