Your Top 5 Home Remedies....

Seafra

Neti Pot

Haven't seen anyone mention using a neti pot. All the stuff about salt made me think of it. Neti Pots irrigate your sinus -- haven't had a sinus headache since I started using one about a year ago and I have a long history of sinus problems. The practice of nasal cleansing has been used by practitioners of Ayurveda and Yoga for thousands of years. Neti is one of the 6 purification techniques performed prior to practicing yoga as a way of preparing the body for the yoga practice. It is said to clean the Third Eye.

It is an odd thing to think about doing. A neti pot (like a tiny watering can) is filled with warm, slightly salted water and the spout of the pot is inserted into one nostril. The position of the head and pot are adjusted to allow the water to flow out of the other nostril. The technique is not as uncomfortable or difficult as it sounds. There are 'how to' vids on youtube. I bought my pot with a few packets of irrigation solution for about $14.

To make your own irrigation solution, mix a heaping 1/4 tsp of finely ground non-iodized salt or a slightly rounded 1/2 tsp of coarsely ground salt in the neti pot with 8 oz of warm water until the salt is completely dissolved.

tarotlyn

...Has anyone tired this one yet?
(someone just emailed this to me)

VICKS VAPO RUB INTERESTING

email said:
During a lecture on Essential Oils, they told us how the foot
soles can absorb oils. Their example: Putgarlic on your feet and within 20
minutes you can 'taste' it.

Some of us have used Vicks Vapor rub for years for everything from chapped
lips to sore toes and many body parts in between. But I've never heard of
this. And don't laugh, it works 100% of the time, although the scientists who
discovered it aren't sure why. To stop night time coughing in a child (or adult
as we found out personally), put Vicks Vapor rub generously on the bottom
of the feet at bedtime, then cover with socks. E ven persistent, heavy, deep
coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many, many hours
of relief. Works 100% of the time and is more effective in children than even
very strong prescription cough medicines. In addition it is extremely soothing
and comforting and they will sleep soundly..

Just happened to tune in A.M. Radio and picked up this guy talking about
why cough medicines in kids often do more harm than good, due to the
chemical makeup of these strong drugs so, I listened. It was a surprise
finding and found to be more effective than prescribed medicines for children
at bedtime, in addition to have a soothing and calming effect on sick children
who then went on to sleep soundly.

My wife tried it on herself when she had a very deep constant and persistent
cough a few weeks ago and it worked 100%! She said that it felt like a warm
blanket had enveloped her, coughing stopped in a few minutes and believe
me, this was a deep, ( incredibly annoying!) every few seconds uncontrollable
cough, and she slept cough-free for hours every night that she used it.

If you have grandchildren, pass this on. If you end up sick, try it yourself and
you will be absolutely amazed at how it works.
...hmmmm...if I start coughing..will have to try this...

...any luck with this one? ...anyone?

:):heart:tarotlyn

SherryZoned

I have 3 kids and no one coughing of course when I have something to try on them!! I hate using cough medicines when they are sick so I will definitely try it out....

SherryZoned

Just read through the whole thread.

EMDR--I did that in a session when my husband and I were attempting to work on our marriage. I really liked it however we had to stop the counseling and yeah marriage done.

Fish oil is great for depression. Helps even out your mood. My sister and I also find taking a b complex vitamin also helps with energy and mood.

I also would suggest a homepathic doctor for what ails you. Specifically I did this for my son who is now 9 that was diagnosed for bipolar disorder. Well I did not like the idea of medication at his age so I took him to a homepathic doctor. That worked wonders. I also give him fish oil, multivitamins and of course a healthy diet.

sstack2

neti pot

Seafra said:
Haven't seen anyone mention using a neti pot. All the stuff about salt made me think of it. Neti Pots irrigate your sinus -- haven't had a sinus headache since I started using one about a year ago and I have a long history of sinus problems. The practice of nasal cleansing has been used by practitioners of Ayurveda and Yoga for thousands of years. Neti is one of the 6 purification techniques performed prior to practicing yoga as a way of preparing the body for the yoga practice. It is said to clean the Third Eye.

It is an odd thing to think about doing. A neti pot (like a tiny watering can) is filled with warm, slightly salted water and the spout of the pot is inserted into one nostril. The position of the head and pot are adjusted to allow the water to flow out of the other nostril. The technique is not as uncomfortable or difficult as it sounds. There are 'how to' vids on youtube. I bought my pot with a few packets of irrigation solution for about $14.

To make your own irrigation solution, mix a heaping 1/4 tsp of finely ground non-iodized salt or a slightly rounded 1/2 tsp of coarsely ground salt in the neti pot with 8 oz of warm water until the salt is completely dissolved.

Yes, I've used a neti pot. I'm so glad you mentioned it, because I have forgotten all about it. I will surely dig it out and put it to use again.

enchanted spirit

This thread is *great*! I just found it today and have got some great information!

Neti pot - been there done that, for some reason I always get water in my ears and the popping and gurgling drives me crazy. Any suggestions for that? I have been congested for months now and I don't know why. And my dr won't help. Wah!

I also have home "remedies" but more for your home than your body. Well, sort of. Several years ago I developed chemical sensitivies and most fragranced products give me migraines. Not fun! That includes cleaners, so I clean my house almost totally with Dawn soap, vinegar, and baking soda. It works! Vinegar is a natural disenfectant, and baking soda will scrub away almost anything, and well, soap is soap. LOL Sometimes I will use those Mr. Clean erasers (no smell!) but otherwise my cleaning products are almost all natural now. It saves me a bundle of money, my house is clean, and no chemical smells. Now, the vinegar smell can be a bit much but it dissapears quickly.

SherryZoned

Enchanted Serpent said:
This thread is *great*! I just found it today and have got some great information!

Neti pot - been there done that, for some reason I always get water in my ears and the popping and gurgling drives me crazy. Any suggestions for that? I have been congested for months now and I don't know why. And my dr won't help. Wah!

I also have home "remedies" but more for your home than your body. Well, sort of. Several years ago I developed chemical sensitivies and most fragranced products give me migraines. Not fun! That includes cleaners, so I clean my house almost totally with Dawn soap, vinegar, and baking soda. It works! Vinegar is a natural disenfectant, and baking soda will scrub away almost anything, and well, soap is soap. LOL Sometimes I will use those Mr. Clean erasers (no smell!) but otherwise my cleaning products are almost all natural now. It saves me a bundle of money, my house is clean, and no chemical smells. Now, the vinegar smell can be a bit much but it dissapears quickly.

I also do that and the vinegar smell does disappear quickly. However, to my mixture I ad a tablespoon or so of lemon juice to cut the vinegar smell a bit more.

Silverlyn

Interesting about how Vicks Vapo Rub will help stop coughing when applied to the soles of the feet. I'm gonna have to try that. Do you know if it'll help COPD/Emphysema/Smoker's cough? Perhaps my mil should try it....

Also: Did you know that vicks vapo rub put on toenails with fungus it will help clear it up? (CAUTION: The toenails WILL turn BLACK as a result then fall off, then the new toenail will grow in clear as a bell! I think it helps with fingernails, too!).

LOVE this thread, keep the good tips comin'!!

tarotlyn

...to add to the "vinegar" ideas:

...not exactly a health remedy..but it works for this:

Every now and then, a little Chihuahua will have a small accident on the rug...
(by having their b_tt misplaced too far off from the edge of the pee pee paper..lol )
I have watched them do this and it is so funny, because they think they did it right! lol :laugh: ...
...after all their feet were on the pee pee paper...right?
...so glad it doesn't happen often:bugeyed:

I keep "apple cider vinegar" in a spray bottle and just spray the spot and it
takes the ordor away and "no spot is left" when it dries...and it dries very fast too.
It only smells for a very short time, then "any" ordor is completely gone!
I have tried "white" vinegar and it doesn't work the same:bugeyed:

I bought a gallon of it from the corner store for about $6. - lasts forever.

:):heart:tarotlyn

Alta

I put 1/4 cup vinegar in the regular wash. It'll take every trace of odour out! especially towels which tend to get a bit off over time.