Help untangling this

mikema63

So I'm new to all this, and I finally found my birth time to do a full reading (amusingly it was 2:22 pm which was fun).

There are a lot of squares, trines, sextiles, oppositions, and stuff.

Some of it seems to be completely contradictory too. I have square venus and jupiter and the description from the site I'm using says it means I'm liable to spend a lot of money on the sake of appearences. But right after that the site says I have triune venus and saturn which says I never show off.

I'm using cafe astrology.com and my birthday is june 3, 1992. 2:22pm orlando florida

I don't expect you guys to walk through the chart for me but I'd appreciate someone helping me unpack it, theres a lot going on and it's confusing.

Edit: I'm more than happy doing most of the work but I'd like a general idea about where to start. like does the square or the triune take precidence when they seem to mean opposite things? Or am I looking at them wrong? Or is the site I'm using not giving me good descriptions?

RohanMenon

As a fellow newbie (though not an absolute one)

I'd use websites only to create charts, and not interpretation.

"Jupiter square Venus" for example has literally infinite ways of manifesting, and only a deep knowledge of/examination of your chart can reveal how it manifests in your life. Each planet corresponds to (literally) infinite things.

For e.g here are some things that Jupiter corresponds to (per Valens)

"Jupiter indicates childbearing, engendering, desire, loves, political ties,
acquaintance, friendships with great men, prosperity, salaries, great gifts, an
abundance of crops, justice, offices, officeholding, ranks, authority over
temples, arbitrations, trusts, inheritance, brotherhood, fellowship,
beneficence, the secure possession of goods, relief from troubles, release
from bonds, freedom, deposits in trust, money, stewardships,

Of the external body parts it rules the thighs and the feet. (Consequently in the games Jupiter governs the race.) Of the internal parts it rules the sperm, the uterus, the liver, the parts of the right side. Of materials, it rules tin. It is of the day sect.In colour it is grey verging on white and is sweet in taste"

This is a small sample of the inifinte ways Jupiter can manifest concretely. Likewise Venus. 'square' only means that there is some kind of clash between such manifestations, not necessarily a negative one.

And this is not always true, and this aspect will be activated only at specific times in your life.

Etc. All from my limited understanding.

I think it might be best to get a good book and learn the fundamentals of analysis than to let a website do cookie cutter interpretations for you, or alternatively consult a good astrologer and let her do the interpreting, depending on your goals

Cheers,

Minderwiz

It's not an easy process but you might try to keep it as simple as possible.

Firstly Don't use the outers or any asteroids till you've got your head around the classic seven. They are the core of astrological analysis. Other bodies might help you refine some of what you learn but they will not overwrite it.

Secondly keep to the major aspects, conjunction, opposition, square, trine, and sextile. If you really need to add in the minor aspects you can again do that later to refine your reading. Personally, I don't find them useful apart from the two inconjuncts of 150 degrees and 30 degrees. Strictly speaking these are not aspects but they are useful.

Thirdly keep to a simple house system to start with (and indeed for much of your descriptive work). Whole Sign Houses is the earliest system and is still in use in Indian Astrology (Vedic Astrology or Jyotish) An alternative is Equal Houses measured from the Ascendant - again an ancient system. These systems were used for reading about the areas of life and work very well. Such house systems don't work for some of the predictive methods but it will be some time before you get there, and you can adopt a quadrant system at that time.

Fourthly don't forget the house rulers, especially the ruler of the Ascendant. In your case you have Virgo rising, making Mercury the ruler of the Ascendant. Mercury will be an important planet in your analysis, especially as it also rules the tenth house - the sign of Gemini, in which it is placed, along with Sun and Venus. Although Mercury is very close to the Sun, and would otherwise be treated as weak, being in it's own sign protects it. Mercury style careers will work well with you. Those are not just 'communication' style careers. Mercury rules Accounting and business analysis, especially when Venus is present. The two are also good for acting, singing, producing films and audio and a lot more besides.

Draw up a chart and then look at each planet in turn. At a simple level this is going to be, which house does it fall in, this will show you where it tends to be most effective, and also which houses does it rule. Once you've drawn up that list you can go on and ask questions about the aspects and how they effect your understanding of the planets.

Traditional Western Astrology and Indian Astrology see the chart differently from Modern Western Astrology. Since the end of the nineteenth Century, Western Astrology has been more concerned with character analysis and from the middle of the twentieth Century with Jungian Psychology. Thus the chart is seen as something like a map of your personality.

The traditional approaches see you and your personality as essentially first house plus Sun, Moon and Ascendant ruler. The other houses signify the outside 'real' world. In Modern Astrology, the fourth house signifies your perceptions of your father and family. In the tradition it signifies those actual people.

If you're into psychology you may be tempted to go down the modern route. Don't ignore the tradition. Firstly it set up the systems and terminology that are still used and secondly, it is not psychology free. Terms such as sanguine, melancholic, choleric, phlegmatic are still used in everyday speech and indeed quite a bit of modern psychology uses them (not the Jungian variation). They date back to classical times and there's quite advance work on them in the seventeenth century. But the tradition is outward looking, not inward looking.

Don't be afraid to ask more questions as you go on.

mikema63

I'm actually really interested in the career aspects of my chart. I'm working as campaign staff in Florida so I get laid off after the election so I'm pretty aware of that transition in my life right now.

I'm considering my options for getting a new job and where to go for here. Communications make sense since my job is to recruit, train, and manage volunteers to register and turn out voters.

Is there anything specific I should be looking for in my chart? I've been googling ways to look at a chart for career readings but considering how soon I will find myself unemployed it would be nice to know. (sorry for basically asking for a free reading).

I'm also interested in money, because...well money, and from what I can tell libra being my second house means I'm generally prudent in my spending and investments. I did find out that venus is it's rules and I have a lot going on with venus in my chart so that's good? Venus being in the 10th house seems like a good thing as well from what i've read.

Minderwiz

I've taken up some of those points in your three planet conjunction thread and as your post above is concerned with the career side, it might be best keeping to that thread for this question, as the conjunction is in your tenth house (using whole sign charts).

Yes communications seems to be the right industry for you. I'll have a think about your question and post a response in the other thread. Probably tomorrow, all being well.