Message I NEED Rather than Asked For

jerrissica

I was reading through some of the posts in different sections and one of the topics of discussion really stood out to me. Some mentioned decks not answering them directly in response to questions that have been asked and someone commented which really got me to thinking......HOW IS IT WE CAN DETERMINE IF A RESPONSE IS GIVEN THROUGH THE TAROT ON SOMETHING WE ACTUALLY SHOULD/NEED TO KNOW RATHER THAN THE QUESTION ITSELF THAT WAS ASKED? Is it simply bc the reading reflects a message that was completely unrelated? But with people interpreting differently how would you tell? What are your thoughts......

rwcarter

In most cases, if you keep track of your readings, you'll find in retrospect that cards that didn't make sense at the time make sense after the event has happened. Once that happens enough, you'll have a better sense of when your cards are telling you what you NEED to know vs what you asked.

Rodney

Maru

Divination is heck of a lot like Googling. You can put in a search term as concise as possible. The better the query, the better the search results, usually... Though sometimes you may need to go through a few pages of BS results to get to the actual gold you are searching for. Sometimes what you were looking for doesn't even exist (or you're using the wrong terms, types of queries).. and so you have to think out of the box to even FIND the actual information you really need. Much less decipher.

I always think of divination as basically that, the act of searching for knowledge. Sometimes it turns up immediate results. Sometimes it requires a little bit more introspection, sometimes personal walls and biases need to be dropped (Hello objectivity!) and other times we live in a filter bubble of our own creation, and whether we realize at a deeper level or not (subconsciously), when we ask our queries sometimes we at the heart of our queries are hoping that the cards will find and destroy this filter bubble, therefore freeing us from being chained to certain redundant answers regarding stagnant areas in our lives...

For me, I take divination beyond that level, it is a spiritual and self-maintenance process, something I use to "clean house" and a way to manage the amount of noise I deal with daily with being so sensitive to people's "stuff". I use it to separate my stuff and their stuff... to me, this makes readings more objective. For others, they may be holding onto other ideas of "their stuff" that may have become dated and as such, the readings can seem more like "Malarkey" until your sense of self-awareness has caught up...

Anyway TLDR, the quickest answer to your question... being able to discern when the answer has shifted from the query involves a little of 1) self-awareness)... 2) having an already built up of a library/internal vocabulary (aka dialogue) with your cards and 3)... the most important... PATIENCE to decipher the reading in full.

For me, I use reversals for this purpose. If I can't understand the "hidden" juggernauts lurking beyond the reversals, then I'm likely not going to finish the process with just that reading. It may require more readings to actually get the message down, but in general, when you feel you're done, you're probably done...you fulfilled the purpose of that reading. It may not be for the original purpose you thought it was for, especially if your internals are going through a bit of remodeling ;), but it's what you needed to move forward from that point.

Apollonia

HOW IS IT WE CAN DETERMINE IF A RESPONSE IS GIVEN THROUGH THE TAROT ON SOMETHING WE ACTUALLY SHOULD/NEED TO KNOW RATHER THAN THE QUESTION ITSELF THAT WAS ASKED? [/QUOTE]
No need to yell, it's not that serious a matter unless you are living your whole life according to what you or someone else thinks a particular spread is saying.

IMO, being able to correctly divine whether the response is related to the original question or whether the cards are addressing a different, more pressing situation (or even a person other than the querent), depends solely on the reader being experienced and comfortable enough with their deck to be able to determine that the cards pulled are addressing a different topic/person, and then go from there.

This of course means that only one person, the reader, as opposed to a committee, should actually be doing the reading.

barefootlife

I think the cards themselves and the story they're telling make it pretty clear what they're talking about. If the story doesn't match what you asked, then something else is more important. Whenever you think you're getting nonsense, look for the connections between the cards. If they're not connecting to what you asked, or you're finding you have to really bend the meanings to make them fit, then you're getting some other answer. Or what you think you asked isn't what you really wanted to know.

Mystica7

....HOW IS IT WE CAN DETERMINE IF A RESPONSE IS GIVEN THROUGH THE TAROT ON SOMETHING WE ACTUALLY SHOULD/NEED TO KNOW RATHER THAN THE QUESTION ITSELF THAT WAS ASKED? ....

I can not... Once I asked for a reading, since I wanted to know about some positive things awaiting for me in the future. I got the 3 of Swords in addition to some other cards, and the reader said that I was going to lose something important to me, but that would be for the best. I thought about a past love, but soon after that I fell seriously ill. I am still kinda recovering and dunno what will happen to me. I accept it's for the best, yes.

Cards cannot show us something that which doesn't exist, in whatever way we pose the question. In my case, well there wasn't anything positive soon to take place in my life...

Dogs&Coffee

"This is the message that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs"
-Batman Tarot-

bubblyNightmare

"This is the message that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs"
-Batman Tarot-

Great now I want to read a story about how Bruce Wayne turned to the occult after his parents death and now uses tarot in his spirit work. For some reason he still wears the costum

Farzon

Well, it's hard to tell. Usually, of the cards don't fit, I see people denying the answer they got because they don't want to hear it. That's why we always should try to answer our question consciously before going with our intuition when it would lead us away.

The other thing is when we ask about a question but in fact would want to read about another. So if there's a topic we rather would like to avoid, it's possible that it shines through in our readings until we have faced it.

But there's no high road to determine if we just don't understand a reading or if the cards are answering a completely different question. I think we usually know best for ourselves.