Calling all herb experts!:)

Sweetviolet

I wondered if anyone had ideas for an herbal rub for arthritis? My SO's knees have become so painful it's almost debilitating. We do not like to use things that are not natural...and while I know some people protect herbal salves and rub recipes with their very lives...I am begging you! I just can't stand to see him hurt. Any suggestion is welcome!!

Thank you so very much!

Jude[/QUOTE

I make a salve out if goldenrod flowers that is effective. I'll be adding other herbs this summer such as comfrey and maybe yarrow since these grow on my property. I agree with the advise to work internally too.

KatieLuvs

Rubbing Alcohol

Rubbing Alcohol isn't herbal,but it does the trick for me

linnie

I notice that some folk have included various non-herbal rubs, so I feel ok doing so. Just yesterday I was speaking to an elderly friend of mine, who swears by a product called Elmore Oil. I believe it is Australian made, but it can be purchased through international outlets.

It has only 4 ingredients: Olive oil as a base carrier, eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil and vanilla (which assists circulation, apparently). This elderly friend has used it for years with great results, and has spread the word to many friends, all of whom have felt great relief from their arthritis.

One word of warning... one woman came out in a rash after using it, hot and red, as she was allergic to either the tea tree or eucalyptus oil. I guess that is a hazard that usage of any unknown substance does hold, so its best to do a spot test, but everyone else was 100% positive. Just a thought if other things offer inadequate relief.

Many blessings to you and your son.

Tanga

All excellent suggestions here.

I'll just add for elimination - avoid the nightshade family (tomatoes, aubergine, potatoes etc.) and try to keep as alkaline as possible a diet (avoid sugar, lots of red meat and a high carbohydrate content, and eat loads of green stuff). Also avoid alcohol.
I have an arthritic friend who has severe pain within 4-10 hours of eating and drinking any of these things.

Nettle tea is rumoured to be good for arthritic conditions. You could eat them too in nettle soup.

raheli

I Second a cayenne balm, mine is a tablespoon of cayenne, 10 drops of peppermint essential oil, 5 drops of Eucalyptus oil, 1/2 cup of a carrier oil (almond or apricot kernel, even rice bran oil) then about a scant tablespoon of beeswax. Put everything except the oils in a jar and then put in the oven at 100 CELSIUS (no lid).

Leave in the oven for an hour then take it out and drain through a coffee filter or a few layers of muslin and put in a clean, sterile jar

Allow to cool a little before adding the oils and stirring (You want to do this before it starts to solidify).

Now, I don't find this awfully hot, but my husband HATES it, so everyone is different, start with a little and if it's too hot you can simply add more oil and wax and re-melt.

One caution on arnica cream - repeated use of arnica can cause dermatitis, you are usually only recommended to use it for 7 days at a time. I save my arnica, calendula and nettle rub for bumps, bruises and when the pain is awful.

UrbanBramble

If your SO is brave they can sting their joints with nettle (yes, intentionally) on a semi regular basis, I would say whenever they remember to do it. Ineternal remedy: Solomon's seal with birch or willow bark. Actually taking something internally will be most effective. I also think a cayenne / st. Johns wort rub is smart, you could add infused Solomons seal oil to it if you can find or make some.

celticnoodle

I've just thought of another remedy that you can try. I have not yet tried this myself, but you can buy oil of oregano and mix it 50/50 with olive oil or coconut oil or jojoba oil and apply it to your sore areas. You can also buy oregano capsules to take internally and it is suppose to help, but before doing that, I'd double check with the doctor to make sure it wouldn't interfere with any other prescriptions you may be on.

I am using oil of oregano mixed with jojoba oil on my nose, because I do have rosacea. So far, it is just a redness on my nose and my cheeks and every now and again, I may break out with pimple like bumps on my nose. I have read that oil of oregano will help to clear rosacea up completely and so I am hoping to do just this. If it works--I'll let you know by posting here again. I always look like I've got a light sunburn on my face with that butterfly 'rash' across my cheeks and nose and it is very irritating for me.

mutationtarot

I wondered if anyone had ideas for an herbal rub for arthritis? My SO's knees have become so painful it's almost debilitating. We do not like to use things that are not natural...and while I know some people protect herbal salves and rub recipes with their very lives...I am begging you! I just can't stand to see him hurt. Any suggestion is welcome!!

Thank you so very much!

Jude

You might try the Asian liniment White Flower as well. I second the glucosamine-chondroitin but you have to take it for like a year for results, so it's a very long term thing (although some people do see results in a few months).

sweetcherise13

oh, that's good!

I happened to find online today a recipe with the turmeric in it and I think Orange Juice and other items too, for arthritis pain. I may have to give it a try. I'll look for it later, (going to bed soon) and will post the link to it here, in case you'd like to try it, too. I do hope it will help your partner. I know personally just how painful this can be and many others here do too. Do keep us posted.

I can't believe I forgot to post it here. sorry for the long delay!

here is one from Dr. Oz' site-http://www.wellbuzz.com/dr-oz-recipes/dr-oz-turmeric-mocktail-recipe-andy-weil-cortes-island-home/

here are a few more-
http://soletshangout.com/pain-relieving-turmeric-juice-juicing-for-pain-relief/

http://everydayroots.com/arthritis-remedies
the one above is a tea recipe with turmeric and ginger. It sounds really tasty to me. And, if you read more on this site, it also gives other ideas, such as rubbing olive oil on the sore joints. I sometimes use olive oil on my skin just as a moisturizer, and love it.

and one more idea that has proven to be very beneficial for me, is to do tai chi! You can find some great tai chi moves for arthritis on youtube before you invest in a dvd on it. I am taking a class (2nd time in this class) "Tai Chi for Arthritis" with Dr. Paul Lam. I could tell a huge difference in my pain levels and got to the point that I could actually bend down onto the floor and stand back up again without the aid of a table or chair to get me up! My knees never felt or acted so well! Dr. Paul Lam sells his tai chi for arthritis dvd too--and it is well worth the price. You can also do it from a chair-if you find standing too difficult and painful.

I came across this thread while looking for some herbal remedy recipes and I wanted to thank you for sharing this link! It lead me to the Thrive site which offers some wonderful organic products. I just placed my first order :thumbsup:

I'm noting many other posts with natural arthritis/pain relief options everyone shared. Thank you for sharing!!