5 of Coins - Marseilles decks

Rusty Neon

Freedom, Restriction; Free-will and Karma

Kléa on the Marteau/Grimaud 5 of Coins:

"If the central Coin appears almost jabbed by the two blue leaves that watch over its position, it is surrounded with gentleness by the other vegetation that leaves it free while protecting it. On the whole, this card is simple, bare, ordered and harmonious. This card gives at the same time the impression of encirclement and the impression of relative liberty, like in the case of the seeker who, during his earthly life, is in possession of a free-will and his five senses, but is not able to escape the program of his own soul and his own Karma."

p. 363

Shalott

Here's from the Pythgorean Tarot Epic:
Material Crisis
In the Cater of Pentacles material well-being seemed assured, but Fortune rota volvitur - the Wheel of Fortune turns and suddenly the old material security is gone. The Sink of Pentacles may come in many forms: a new, unbeatable competitor, an illness or physical injury that hinders you, an unexpected change in the market, unanticipated material losses, major failures or expenses, unpredictable job loss, etc. A change of Fortune.

edited to say: Yes, the author makes up words and quotes terms in seemingly random languages...;) (I mean I know "rota volvitor" is Latin, but shouldn't there be a bit more Greek?)

ihcoyc

He's quoting from the Carmina Burana, probably making an allusion to the Orff cantata.

The whole verse is quite a nice summary of the Wheel of Fortune image:

Fortune rota volvitur:
descendo minoratus;
alter in altum tollitur;
nimis exaltatus
rex sedet in vertice-
caveat ruinam!
nam sub axe legimus
Hecubam reginam.

("The Wheel of Fortune turns; I fall, abased. Another is carried upwards; exalted too high. The king sits on a razor's edge; he should beware of ruin, because beneath the axle we discern queen Hecuba.")

jmd

welcome back, ihcoyc.

It may also be useful to refer to a couple of earlier threads titled Interpreting Minors in Marseilles Decks, and Marseilles pips: the fives.

If we simply look at the five of coins (a copy of which I have attached), what is significant is that it seems to depict both a beautiful symmetry, yet also contains within its details asymmetrical imagery.

In particular, and of especial significance, is how to judge the uprightness of the card via the flower(s) depicted. The attached Hadar rendition is especially beautiful and clear in this regard. If one looks carefully at the top and lower roses (the five-petalled flowers), then it seems to suggest an overall uprightness only when the card is as presented (attached).

The central Denier or coin is also one which appears here well protected.

For myself, and though it may indeed be the case that in some instances the card may depict some forms of constraints, there appears more a protectedness of the central 'investment' within the womb-like structure within the four-fold solidity of the quarters.

In some ways, it is as if this card somewhat mimics the overall pattern found in XXI the World card.

Another keyphrase which may be useful is 'creative tension within the domain of the manifested world'.

With regards to the Kléa quote, I am often disappointed to read in texts which purport to more esoteric understanding the popular but erroneous mention of 'five' senses. Not only are there many more than five, but at least two of these others have made it out of mere esoteric considerations and into the broader domain for at least 100 years (I refer to the kinesthetic sense and sense of balance).

Attachments

• 5 deniers sm.jpg
    5 deniers sm.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 150

Jewel-ry

For what its worth, I have seen this card described as 'lost but also found' which I quite like since the card does, in fact show, symmetry and asymmetry, protection yet isolation, freedom yet liberation!

~