Celtic Lenormand?

Le Fanu

After feeling a bit disappointed with the LoS Pagan Lenormand I gave the Celtic a wide berth, but having seen a few videos and some of the cards online, I was drawn to it - much as I feel myself pulling away more and more from thematic Lenormands. But this one is actually quite nice for a contemporary, non-traditional take on the Lenormand deck.

The card size and borderlessness are lovely - beautiful artwork - it feels more thorough than the Wildwood, which I always found sketchy and cartoony. This one feels like it was more worked at. The nature artwork feels richer.

I find that my initial wariness of not knowing which card was which is not so marked. I thought the Barrow was the house at first glance - and thought that the clasped hands (Ring) was a 2nd, alternative Heart card. The illustration style is lovely - it really is - and overall is not at all distracting. Very appealing little deck - and not a threat to my beloved historic decks.

My least favourite cards are the Child (a bit goofy), the mollusc Heart and Tower (not really a tower). I shall read the booklet and see what new meanings it brings (I'm being open-minded on this, even though "affirmations" make me wince - but there will, I'm sure, be much in the book I can learn from - it seems very detailed.)