6x6 spread?

Nickigirl

I've just read Anthony Louis' Lenomand book (which I thought was excellent!) In it, he notes that the original Game of Hope was played by laying out the cards in a 6x6 square. As the Lenormand deck as we know it is thought to be based on the Game of Hope, I wonder if anyone knows if any traditions use (or used) a 6x6 spread instead of the more common 8x4+4 or 9x4?

Padma

I've just read Anthony Louis' Lenomand book (which I thought was excellent!) In it, he notes that the original Game of Hope was played by laying out the cards in a 6x6 square. As the Lenormand deck as we know it is thought to be based on the Game of Hope, I wonder if anyone knows if any traditions use (or used) a 6x6 spread instead of the more common 8x4+4 or 9x4?

I have never tried the 6 by 6, but it makes sense, considering I think the original game of hope was actually a game played with the cards and a dice...one was meant to land on the Anchor to win, if I recollect...? :confused: I would love to try this! :) thanks!

Nickigirl

Game of Hope

Yes I was reading about the game. As I understand it, it was played with dice and depending on what card you landed on you'd be moving forward or backward on the board. So negative cards would move you back and positive cards move you forward. You'd have to land right on the anchor to win but if you went one too far and landed on the cross you'd be stuck there until another player landed there to take your place. I kind of want to play 😊

Padma

You should make it a Lenormand Game in the Games subforum! That'd be fun :) We could take online turns!

Teheuti

Yes I was reading about the game. As I understand it, it was played with dice and depending on what card you landed on you'd be moving forward or backward on the board. So negative cards would move you back and positive cards move you forward. You'd have to land right on the anchor to win but if you went one too far and landed on the cross you'd be stuck there until another player landed there to take your place. I kind of want to play 😊
It's a fun game—like the ancient Indian Snakes and Ladders or the modern Shoots and Ladders—and can take anywhere from a couple of minutes to a half hour or more to play as there can be quite a few upsets or stuck places - or you might race right through it in minutes.

You need individual markers, pennies or beans for the pot and for payments during the game, and two dice (dice are available to use online).

It's not just the positive and negative cards that move you as you don't get any benefit from landing on the Sun card (for instance). Some of the card/position instructions seem arbitrary and some have an interesting significance.

I highly recommend playing the game.

As to using a 6x6 layout. Sure, why not? Just be aware that a reader gains a lot by knowing the positions of the layout quite well - so a whole new set of dynamics will have to be developed for this layout that other readers will probably not be cognizant of.

Nickigirl

Thanks Ms. Greer! I appreciate you jumping in! I'm enjoying a lot of your Lenormand comments while reading past threads too! Any chance you're planning a Lenormand book? :)

Barleywine

Would that be this e-book? I couldn't find any other Lenormand books by Louis. I read it a couple of years ago, and recall something about 6x6. I'm wondering how much (if any) it would constrain the "distance method." It seems that all other GT techniques would work fine with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenormand-Sy...qid=1466968235&sr=1-12&keywords=anthony+louis

Nickigirl

Yup, that's the book 😊

Teheuti

Thanks Ms. Greer! I appreciate you jumping in! I'm enjoying a lot of your Lenormand comments while reading past threads too! Any chance you're planning a Lenormand book? :)
I have a lot of material gathered for a book but am not yet ready to write it. Thanks for asking.

Teheuti

Would that be this e-book? I couldn't find any other Lenormand books by Louis. I read it a couple of years ago, and recall something about 6x6. I'm wondering how much (if any) it would constrain the "distance method." It seems that all other GT techniques would work fine with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenormand-Sy...qid=1466968235&sr=1-12&keywords=anthony+louis
Louis' book doesn't suggest reading a 6x6 square; rather he proposes a triangular spread instead such that each row from the top down contains the following number of cards
Several interesting patterns can be examined in such a layout but Anthony Louis doesn't appear to have tried it out; rather he just proposes it as being of interest.