OILS for joints/muscles

Laura Borealis

I don't think anyone's mentioned lavender oil, but it's good for inflammation. I use it for my sore shoulder and it really helps. Chamomile is another good one. Plus they're both relaxing :thumbsup:

greatdane

Do you use chamomile oil, Laura Borealis?

I do drink chamomile tea and I use lavender (and sometimes ginger oil and now wintergreen oil), but is there a chamomile oil you can get and rub in?

Laura Borealis

I got an Aura Cacia blend, it's a massage oil called Tranquil Chamomile, but it's a blend with chamomile, lavender, and patchouli. The patchouli is pretty faint (but lingers longer than the others). I mention it because not everyone likes patchouli.

Before that I used straight-up lavender essential oil mixed with a bit of carrier oil and honestly it worked just as well. The carrier oil I used is sesame, just because that's what I had on hand.

celticnoodle

Yes, but please make sure to start with non-atomic chili though. First time I tried it it was really painful and my skin was so red! My nan did something to lessen the intensity, and the second was still hot but a lot comfier. You do develop a tolerance to it, and now I believe it was much much hotter than the first one I balked at.
Thank you. I know the chilis he grows are so hot, I can't eat them and many in our family cannot. The guys all like them--I think its more of a guy thing though and my niece likes them too. But, I'm not into scorching my throat, thank you very much. ;)

I don't think anyone's mentioned lavender oil, but it's good for inflammation. I use it for my sore shoulder and it really helps. Chamomile is another good one. Plus they're both relaxing :thumbsup:
Like G.D. posted, I drink Chamomile Tea and it helps me to relax and helps when my muscles and joints hurt. It also is great for those nights when I can't sleep. Love Chamomile! :D

another good thread here, G.D. I am learning a lot. :thumbsup: Love your threads!

YDM42

Sending you a private message------
YDM42 I really appreciate your kind thoughts. It may have been Katherine Hepburn or another actress who said, Getting old isn't for sissies :), or something to that affect.

I always thought I would mind looking older, I don't. It's the aches and pains you don't think about when you're young.

But i'm in better shape than many friends I have ten years younger as far as ailments, so I consider myself lucky. It is nice to read all the different
variations you all use to help with pain. Mine is mostly from degenerating disks that don't get better. But my muscles are strong. I say I'm held together by barbed wire and putty :)

Nickigirl

It's important to get really pure oils as most you can get at a drug store or even natural health stores are mixed with perfumes, chemicals, or just "watered down" with carrier oils. There are a couple of really good brands, I use Young Living oils and DoTerra is the only other brand that I know of that I'd trust since the last time I did research on brands. They are much more expensive but you know for sure that they are pure oils, and a drop or a few goes a really long way!
For my joints I like Peppermint oil, there's a blend called Deep Relief, and Wintergreen is good.
Other than essential oils, I think Extra strength Tiger Balm is good too. Have you tried A535 cream? I find it's good for sore muscles, but it says it's good for joints too. I use Voltaren cream as well, which is an anti-inflammatory and is good for the joints.
Make sure you do confirm with your doctor whatever you're taking. You need to be careful with herbal/natural remedies as these can interact with each other or other medications too. You need to be extra aware of your own body too and make sure you pick up on anything else that might change if you start using one of these sorts of treatments as they can have side effects too that you might not expect.
I hope you do find something that helps! Hugs!

greatdane

YDM42 and NICKIGIRL

Thank you both, and thank you YDM42 for your kind pm. I appreciated it very much.

Nickigirl, I use Eden's Garden. I am retired and I find them the most affordable for a good oil and they have worked for me. The oil of ginger and the oil of wintergreen has helped with pain.

I will definitely check out the creams you mentioned, thank you for that.

And oh yes, I cross reference EVERYTHING. As a retired uni advisor, one thing I am good at is research :). I have found doctors are not so great at knowing about interactions, pharmacists are better. When it comes to interactions between prescriptions meds and even different oils, I do a lot of checking. THANKFULLY I am only on one prescription med and that makes it easier to cross reference.

THANK YOU both and all here who have given me so many things to try! :)