Hematite?

DragonLover

I remember back a few years ago I made a trip to Salem, Mass. I was in one of the many stores where there were many stones to choose from. I remember the owner of the store said that, iyou should always go with the stone that calls the most to you. I bought a beautiful shining piece of Hematite. I still have this stone, and have recently placed it in the box i keep my tarot cards. But my question is this, what do you guys know about Hematite? what it represents, what its used for spell wise, etc. It still has the same appeal it had many years ago, i could stare at the stone just mesmorized by its beauty. I guess i simply want to know whats behind it, to maybe understand why im so drawn to it.

Kyrielle

Hematite is heavy and solid and cool, making it a very effective grounding stone. Many people use it as a worry stone. Polished, it was used in some ancient cultures as a mirror. It deflects negative energies, keeping outside influences from affecting the carrier. Some people favor it as a stone for runes, since its reflective property makes it useful for showing a different (often frank and impartial) view of the situation.

When ground, hematite produces a rusty-red powder. "Hema-" means "blood." Sometimes hematite is called bloodstone because of this. (There is also another stone called bloodstone - a green and red type of jasper). Ancient Greek soldiers rubbed themselves with hematite before battle for protection, and they rubbed the stone over their wounds because they believed it could stop the bleeding and speed healing.

Some people find the energy of hematite to be so overly grounding it pulls them into a depression. Others - me included - find it to be a useful stone for the everyday grounding and deflecting needs of modern life. It's very earthy.

I would bet you were attracted to this stone because you needed grounding or reassurance about something.

Kyrielle

Stregaverde

More on hematite:

There is also a prevalent theory that unlike other black stones that simply help repel negativity, hematite actually aborbs it, drawing it out of you and blocking that of others. As a result, it needs to be cleansed more often than most crystals and stones. Fortunately, it tolerates a salt-water bath magnificently. I set mine out in a clear bowl overnight, under the moon, in water sprinkled with sea salt. Works like a charm.

I'm another big fan of hematite, too, I just love it. And it really does help ground one. I find that it's also a less 'militant' stone than something like obsidian, but that's just my vibe.

IMHO, hematite is an excellent stone to not only keep with your cards, but on your person!

LadyMedusa

Another Hematite Friend here

The book I have gives the properties as : A Yang stone
"Grounding, protection, and balancing. Boosting self esteem. Aids concentration, focus, reliability, confidence, and willpower. Enhances memory and original thought. Removes self limitations, disolves negativity, and supports the timid."

I have several pieces. My favorite piece is a plum size sphere that lives on the bookshelf where I keep my decks. I find that when I am having one of those days, just taking a few moments to gaze into it seems to draw away the negative energy and get my feet back under me.

LadyMedusa

Majecot

Coincidence?

I have always been drawn to this stone and I have carried a hematite with me for about as long as I can remember... My favorite size is pocket sized, and I do tend to use them like a worry stone.
Several years ago my love had a quadrupal by pass at the young age of 31. I gave him his own little worry stone of hematite to carry with him. I told him this will help you...I know that in the begining days after his surgery he had that stone with him constantly.
The only thing I knew about this stone was protection and grounding.

In looking up the magical properties of this stone today I saw this: "Hematite is said to be powerful in drawing illness from the body"

Perhaps that knoweldge was instinctive.

DragonLover

Thank you all so much for your input!!!! ive a few pieces of hematite jewelry my mother bought me, but i rarely wear (i usually stick to the same necklace all the time and never take it off!). But maybe i should rethink that!

Is there a good site you can direct me to, to maybe have a quick list of meanings of other stones?

Ace

I like Hematite and I have an interesting story about it:

I had met a guy who was so attracted to me that I kept turning around to see who he was looking at with so much adoration in his face (it was me but I didn't believe it!) We went out on ONE date.

We went around a nice rich neighborhood here in Chicago, got some dinner then went windowshopping in the local stores. In one there was a dish of Hematite rings for all of $0.75! I bought one and wore it the rest of the evening. As the evening wore on, my interest in this guy wore out. He turned out to be a very inward, quiet person, who sent me up the wall. By the end of the evening I could not stand him. We ending up arguing and althought we saw each other again at SCA events, the romance was definitely over.

I had found out he was triple Scorpio with 2 other planets in Scorpio. I don't do astrology, but even I must admit that was pretty telling. I went in the next day to a psychic fair I was working at and told a couple of friends about him. "I dated a Triple Scopio last night!" They both shuddered so bad they nearly fell from their chairs. Someone asked: "what are YOU?" I told them I was a Double Aquarian (Sun and Rising-Taurus moon). "Do you know what the call a Scorpio/Aquarian alliance?" She asked. "a Death Wish!"

I really think I wanted to buy that Hematite to protect me from his negative energy!

PisceanRedhead

I've got a coworker that tends to send a cloud of negative energy over our shared cubicle wall. She has things going on in her personal life that I know more about than I'd like to and while she is a nice woman in general, sometimes she talks about others in a way that's dangerously close to venomous. I would prefer not to be around the general area, but unfortunately I'm not in a position to relocate elsewhere on a whim...

I make beaded jewelry in my free time and enjoy using round hematite beads in many of them. I used to wear an anklet with hematite and glass quite often, but haven't done so in a while. Is wearing hematite enough to help block this negative energy? Or should I place/hang a piece of hematite on the wall we share? Are there other things I can use to help cleanse my cubicle area of any negativity that might already be hanging around and block any new negativity from sticking around and calling my space home?

Thanks,
PR

Silverlyn

Hey there: I have a few of these beautiful stones: deep black (yet with like a silver shine/sheen to them)...I'd always thought they were Hematites, but I think now they might be Black Obsidian instead?

How can I know the difference?

Silverlyn