Neptune in 2nd or 3rd?

Ronia

She challenges me quite often, sometimes with good reason but I enjoy the challenge and I hope I can still rise to it :)

Eh, I'm not very much into compliments but you do rise to it, on a regular basis. Besides, you brought me back to traditional astrology, even only to look at dufferent keywords and remind myself the nature of the planets which I had lost to a big extent somewhere on the road to "modern astrology". :)

I already said, I'll gladly participate in any discussion which uses *astrological* arguments and will not participate in any throwing at each other keywords without a back up. Indeed, I've studied Jung and Freud and everyone of the kind for so many years at the university that I can quote them in my dream but I do not take any of this as the absolute truth for such does not exist in this world. On top of that, as everyone here knows, I do consider the mythological background behind the names of the planets and expect when a keyword is used, to be supported, even if by usage of mythology, or religious history, or ancient texts usage, I will readily consider it. Mercury in Libra. :)

upawell

I liked what Minderwiz said about welcoming other approaches as challenges and opportunity for discussion. It's the spice of the learning process. :)

I put good faith into the various approaches of astrology. As a new student I'm eager to know. Each perspective or tradition has something interesting or valid to say. I'm finding that it doesn't matter whether one branch is more correct than the other; more often it is my experience (inner and outer) that counts and sometimes that experience will better align with the psychological approach, and other times it will key up with the mundane, event-based approach. But in many cases, it'll be a mix of both.

I'd like to thank everyone who has been contributing to this thread and the discussion it has opened up. It's teaching me a lot, not only about Neptune, but about how to integrate various perspectives into a cohesive whole. It's most valuable and I'm grateful to have access to such studied minds. :)

dadsnook2000

Charts with a significant Neptune

I'm currently working with charts for Monica Lewinsky, the young lady who in 1995 made a point of seducing our then-President Bill Clinton.

Monica was born July 23, 1973 at 12:21 PM in San Francisco, CA 122w23 37n37
This chart features Neptune in the 2nd house. Neptune sextiles Pluto in the 12th and trines Sun in the 10th.

Relocating Monica's chart to Washington, D.C. (where the President is) provides a chart for the same date, timed at 9:21 AM, 076w5942 38n4966. This relocated chart has an MC of 6 Gemini, an Asc. of 9 Virgo. What is interesting is that natal Neptune at 4 Sag is on the IC angle.

Casting a precession corrected Solar Return for 1995, timed at 12:35:04 AM we find the MC to be 21 Capricorn, the Asc. to be 6 Taurus. In this chart we find natal Neptune at the natal IC to be close to the cusp of the S/R 8th house. Transiting Neptune is at 23 Capricorn, very close to the MC. Natal Moon is on the S/R Asc. Transiting Venus at 23 Cancer is on the S/R IC conjoining natal Mercury.

As one who specializes in p.c. Solar Returns and cyclic charting, this chart is astounding relative to the events of the year.
** The doubled up angular Neptune's suggest for Monica a fairytale year. She had bragged to her friends earlier in the year that she was going to the White House to earn her Presidential knee-pads. Shocking, sort of.
** t/Neptune at the MC indicates she has a dream, a fantasy goal.
** n/Neptune at the natal IC indicates that she is a dreamer and has her own vision of success and value. Further, one might see n/Neptune at the cusp of the 8th as being indicative of sex-money-death . . . probably sex is what a young girl might have in mind.
** n/Moon on the S/R Asc. suggests that her idea of feminine power at attitudes is to find support and appreciation for herself. (Remember, this is a cyclic chart and not a natal chart --- the chart is read relative to the "now" period for when it was cast.
** t/Venus at the IC suggests that she will find "love". It is hard to separate "love" and "lust" with Venus.

Once one goes into advancing this chart for each of the dates that are significant in this effort of a young lady flirting with the President, the charts continue to amaze one with their symbology.

It is not likely that all of the followers of this list are users of Solar Returns. So, these charts may not have much meaning for them. But, if the charts are calculated and displayed or printed, then at least Neptune is seen as being significant. That might serve as a discussion or the start of a discussion. Dave

Ronia

Dave, thanks for the chart. I get Neptune in Sag in the 2nd and ruling the 6th (which is what I wanted to check).I'm not sure about the "fantasy goal". It seems more and more often to me that Neptune actually materializes both dreams and goals (for good or bad), I can also certify for that personally, when ruling or placed in a more "material" natal house. The 2nd is such, for example, the 6th too (to me). These are earning houses, working houses, the non material to me are 3,5,7,9,11,12. Mine rules 2nd and is placed in the 11th which, among other things, is the house of dreams. Hers is in the 2nd and rules the 6th which is quite a working/earning Neptune. The sextile with Pluto helps as it gives power and penetration, IMHO.

She ahs an interesting chart, especially the rising Uranus ruling the 5th and the elevated Pluto. Rise and fall.

Strong Moon and in the 7th, ruling the MC... She kind of had it as a given.

wind

Well I must admit a couple of your phrases raised my hackles but I took it that you had no intention to insult, so I didn't say anything. Now I don't see event driven Astrology as in some way inferior to a psychological approach, or more shallow. Nor do I see people wanting to have an idea of what actual events are going to happen as simply 'fortune telling'. I've seen enough depth of philosophy in, for example, Hellenistic Astrology, to know that it's exploration is good for the 'soul'. But I repeat, I realised you had no intention to be derogatory and that sometimes what we say isn't what we meant to say :)

Ronia is certainly combative but then if ideas are not put to the test we would not learn much.

But why should she accept the psychological approach as the only valid way of looking at Neptune et all in particular or Astrology in general? I certainly don't though Liz Greene, Howard Saportas and Stephen Arroyo are still amongst my favourite astrologers and I owe them all a great debt in helping me back into Astrology. There are many other valid approaches to Astrology, indeed one thing I'd love to see is a Jyotish astrologer join us. And yes, they do challenge each other or put emphasis on different 'aspects' of the nature of Astrology.

One can still see value to Neptune et al, without accepting the theories of Jung et al and see them in a different way, ignorance of the psychological approach is not equivalent to ignorance of Astrology :). That may well lead to a desire to have others explain their position if different from ours. Enthusiasm can sometimes seem challenging, but from experience I much prefer students who challenge my views than those who just act in a receptive manner. Even though I'm retired I still love teaching. However that means exposing yourself to what may seem on the surface challenges to your very being. They are not, they are simply the desire to take nothing for granted.

I still hope that at some stage you would be willing to look through a chart with me - not in any antagonistic or combative way but as a means to compare approaches and indeed to help others learn. And I certainly would value Dave's input and Ronia's too. I've learned that underneath that rather forthright exterior is a sharp mind. She challenges me quite often, sometimes with good reason but I enjoy the challenge and I hope I can still rise to it :)

Take care but do think about doing a mutual chart reading.

Hi Minderwitz,
ok, hehe, now you provoked me:) Maybe it is good that I clear this some more - I never said that psychological approach is the only one to consider - in fact, I clearly said I appreciate other branches of astrology and I may even consider consulting an astrologer from a different field if so needed! I am very well aware of the complexity of horary astrology for instance and all the information that we can gain through it - and I was always very much appreciating your technique that you generously demonstrate here on the forum. Once you answered one of my questions and I was deeply touched and impressed by the answer. So, I need to be clear - I am not putting psychological approach 'above' others, even though it is a journey that many people won't undertake, since it is arduous and consuming (clients need quite a few sessions, for instance, to open the doors into their psyche and start to become aware of things).

In fact, it was Ronia first show showed a bit of derogatory attitude, saying that people 'need other things and not psychological explorations', so I want to be clear on that as well!

I do appreciate different approaches - but I don't appreciate narrowmindedness and arrogance where the person with obvious lack of knowledge pretends to make 'arguments'. To challenge someone, you need to have knowledge and experience on the same level, and Ronia doesn't. Simply rejecting and rebuffing doesn't mean 'to challenge'. When a person starts to demontrate this kind of attitude, she loses credibility, since an aggressive approach usually just hides insecurity and of course strong ego. I am not interested in that.
And also, I find Ronia's tone and attitude too agressive for my taste, even if she has something valid to say. I don't want to be dragged into this kind of energy.

Not to mention the alchemical approach towards the 'Fishes' and the ocean, the 'high' and 'low' that we find in Pisces for instance, the soul (one Fish) and spirit (the other Fish) hiding in this archetype, and of course the main collective split between body and soul, between this world and the world beyond that consumed the era of Pisces-Neptune and Christianity.

Psychological approach is not just about some cute stories. It is extremely complex. But it is not pinpoint exact, so arguments that 'Neptune transit doesn't always act the same way', are just too silly. We cannot predict the development of the human psyche and on what level it will manifest. Also, we cannot say to the person what will happen - we can only HELP the person to discover for him or herself what is going on. It is a tool of self-discovery.

I don't pretend to know much about horary astrology, so I won't argue with anyone there - and the same goes for psychological approach.

It is not just about Neptune, Ronia didn't show much understanding with Pluto neither - rejecting my notions without any serious argument, just out of ego. How can I take her seriously then? Any serious astrologer with knowledge in psychological approach will certainly be aware of all the mother-father aspects in the outer planets, that Pluto is not just Hades, but concerns Demeter as well, the overprotective mother and the myth of Chora, her virgin daughter, being raped and becoming Persephone, which in fact is an archetypical story that can be observed daily and is the MAIN issue with Pluto! Pluto is a lot about 'rape'. And it carries a strong, deep aspect of mother energy - the dangerous, swallowing, overbearing mother that is a clear notion in psyhoanalitical findings. And if we see Pluto or Scorpio, there are almost certain mother issues. Just we need to dig them out. Pluto is many times unseen, Hades was wearing a helmet of invisibility, so Pluto can lay still and dormant for years, while things 'cook' in the unconscious.
If I get a strong plutonian client, I can be sure that we will need many sessions to even start digging. People are usually just totally burried and swallowed, 'raped', forced into being something that they are not, with Pluto. They need to dig themselves out. So Pluto is THE psychoanalitical planet, but it moves slowly. It is extremely complex, so saying - 'Pluto is not a mother to me', as Ronia did, is not 'challenging', but simply showing lack of knowledge.

Then the so called 'argument' that similar attributes are assigned to the outer planets - yes, of course they are! Things overlap, as everything in life does. If something so basic is not clear... Pluto is rape - then again, Uranus is about rape as well! Uranus was raping Gaia, that is, the sky (the ideal) was raping earth (our everyday existence). Uranus many times gets manifested this way, that we force ourselves to become superhuman, thus 'raping ourselves' or others, being cruel and heartless. Uranus shows no mercy towards basic human needs, he forces itself on Gaia-the earth.

But of course, Uranus and Pluto are not just about rape, this is only one aspect. Yes, it is complex and things overlap, carrying different tones. Which aspect will manifest and how? WE DON'T KNOW. We don't pretend to know! That is why we EXPLORE. We analyze, we ask the person, we get to know their story, their background. As psychological astrologers we only hint and suggest.
I have seen Pluto as actual rape in the family. But of course, this is just one extreme example. I will not go to the client and say, see you have got Pluto here, so – was your papa very friendly with you? I mean – we are walking into the intimate terriotry of the individual's psyche, so we are just assisting the person to put the pieces together by him or herself. And that only if and when the person is READY. In psychological approach, each chart carries a warning sign: THREAD CAREFULLY! Because you don't know what you are going to encounter, on what level and what is the level of the person's readiness to see and recognize all that lies within.

So if someone tries to 'compartmentalize' such experiences, wanting to give a clear, mathematical aspect to the planets, it just shows lack of understanding of this field. This is why in the debate with Ronia there are no 'challenges' but simply serious lack of understading and knowledge of what the psychological astrology is all about.

There are many stories and myths connected with each of the planets - Uranus/Saturn castration myth, overbearing father, found in Uranus, victimized mother and sacrifice/scape goating found in Neptune, the role of redeemer of the family we may play with Neptune/Pisces not to mention psychological break downs (I have seen seriously unstable mothers when Neptune is on MC for instance, or alchooholic fathers with Neptune in 4th house)...etc, etc. But when a person simply rebuffs all the ideas instantly - out of clear lack of knowledge and experience - she is not 'challenging' anything, but simply wanting to prove herself and argue, without nay grounds.

This just destroys the energy. If we want to talk about psychological approach, the other person needs to have the adequate knowledge and be open-minded.

But by all means, I appreciate all other approaches! Just I am not so arrogant to pretend to know something about them and 'argue' just to argue:) An intelligent person knows her limits.

If some debate opens, I may participate, but only to share and only to respond to a nice and intelligent level of debate.

carry on the good work, I need to say that I appreciate your efforts here immensely!
kind regards

Minderwiz

Hi Minderwitz,
ok, hehe, now you provoked me:) Maybe it is good that I clear this some more - I never said that psychological approach is the only one to consider - in fact, I clearly said I appreciate other branches of astrology and I may even consider consulting an astrologer from a different field if so needed! I am very well aware of the complexity of horary astrology for instance and all the information that we can gain through it - and I was always very much appreciating your technique that you generously demonstrate here on the forum. Once you answered one of my questions and I was deeply touched and impressed by the answer. So, I need to be clear - I am not putting psychological approach 'above' others, even though it is a journey that many people won't undertake, since it is arduous and consuming (clients need quite a few sessions, for instance, to open the doors into their psyche and start to become aware of things).

Yes, that statement about other branches was one of the reasons why I decided I my initial reaction was wrong and I should keep quiet LOL - always count to 10 and think again :)

wind said:
In fact, it was Ronia first show showed a bit of derogatory attitude, saying that people 'need other things and not psychological explorations',

Clearly your view on Ronia's posts is sincerely held, though I must admit that I don't see things that way. Stating that you see an alternative approach to Astrology as being more profitable isn't really derogatory - though it needs to be politely phrased. I come from a teaching background and for me the role of the student was always to challenge the teacher where they did not understand or follow an explanation.

However that does require an investment of time and personal energy and Aeclectic is not primarily a teaching medium :) It is a forum for people to express their views and there's no obligation on them to teach others who want to learn, nor is there any obligation on them to defend the views they express. Coming here for relaxation and pursuing hobbies should not lead to having to explain your views. Our only obligations are those set out in the forum rules, such as showing respect for others. And that's something we should all endeavour to do.

wind said:
As for my field, I need to reiterate - that a person is not aware of the main qualities of Neptune and rejects them just out of some ego trip, for me is not intelligent. I cannot take such debate seriously. Not to mention the alchemical approach towards the 'Fishes' and the ocean, the 'high' and 'low' that we find in Pisces for instance, the soul (one Fish) and spirit (the other Fish) hiding in this archetype, and of course the main collective split between body and soul, between this world and the world beyond that consumed the era of Pisces-Neptune and Christianity.

Psychological approach is not just about some cute stories. It is extremely complex. But it is not pinpoint exact, so arguments that 'Neptune transit doesn't always act the same way', are just too silly. We cannot predict the development of the human psyche and on what level it will manifest. Also, we cannot say to the person what will happen - we can only HELP the person to discover for him or herself what is going on. It is a tool of self-discovery. If the person in the 'debate' is not clear not even about that and argues on such a silly level, the debate is not intelligent.

I know that psychological astrologers believe that they do know what the main qualities of the outers are but you must realise that not everyone accepts those and may not even accept the basis of psychological astrology. I don't think there's any profit in a debate over what those qualities actually are because it calls into question our fundamental philosophy of Astrology and that's quite a big exercise. It might be something to discuss another time but in the context of this thread I think it would get us precisely nowhere. We've exchanged views and I think that is good - we don't have to agree LOL. You've been very open and honest about your views over the last few posts and I really do appreciate that :) :)

wind said:
It is not just about Neptune, Ronia didn't show much understanding with Pluto neither - rejecting my notions without any serious argument, just out of ego. How can I take her seriously then? Any serious astrologer with knowledge in psychological approach will certainly be aware of all the mother-father aspects in the outer planets, that Pluto is not just Hades, but concerns Demeter as well, the overprotective mother and the myth of Chora, her virgin daughter, being raped and becoming Persephone, which in fact is an archetypical story that can be observed daily and is the MAIN issue with Pluto! Pluto is a lot about 'rape'. And it carries a strong, deep aspect of mother energy - the dangerous, swallowing, overbearing mother that is a clear notion in psyhoanalitical findings. And if we see Pluto or Scorpio, there are almost certain mother issues. Just we need to dig them out. Pluto is many times unseen, Hades was wearing a helmet of invisibility, so Pluto can lay still and dormant for years, while things 'cook' in the unconscious.
If I get a strong plutonian client, I can be sure that we will need many sessions to even start digging. People are usually just totally burried and swallowed, 'raped', forced into being something that they are not, with Pluto. They need to dig themselves out. So Pluto is THE psychoanalitical planet, but it moves slowly. It is extremely complex, so saying - 'Pluto is not a mother to me', as Ronia did, is not 'challenging', but simply showing lack of knowledge. She should read some serious books about that first, then she can argue.

Then the so called 'argument' that similar attributes are assigned to the outer planets - yes, of course they are! Things overlap, as everything in life does. If something so basic is not clear... Pluto is rape - then again, Uranus is about rape as well! Uranus was raping Gaia, that is, the sky (the ideal) was raping earth (our everyday existence). Uranus many times gets manifested this way, that we force ourselves to become superhuman, thus 'raping ourselves' or others, being cruel and heartless. Uranus shows no mercy towards basic human needs, he forces itself on Gaia-the earth.

But of course, Uranus and Pluto are not just about rape, this is only one aspect. Yes, it is complex and things overlap, carrying different tones. Which aspect will manifest and how? WE DON'T KNOW. We don't pretend to know! That is why we EXPLORE. We analyze, we ask the person, we get to know their story, their background. As psychological astrologers we only hint and suggest.
I have seen Pluto as actual rape in the family. But of course, this is just one extreme example. I will not go to the client and say, see you have got Pluto here, so – was your papa very friendly with you? I mean – we are walking into the intimate terriotry of the individual's psyche, so we are just assisting the person to put the pieces together by him or herself. And that only if and when the person is READY. In psychological approach, each chart carries a warning sign: THREAD CAREFULLY! Because you don't know what you are going to encounter, on what level and what is the level of the person's readiness to see and recognize all that lies within.

So if someone tries to 'compartmentalize' such experiences, wanting to give a clear, mathematical aspect to the planets, it just shows lack of understanding of this field. This is why in the debate with Ronia there are no 'challenges' but simply serious lack of understading and knowledge of what the psychological astrology is all about.

There are many stories and myths connected with each of the planets - Uranus/Saturn castration myth, overbearing father, found in Uranus, victimized mother and sacrifice/scape goating found in Neptune, the role of redeemer of the family we may play with Neptune/Pisces not to mention psychological break downs (I have seen seriously unstable mothers when Neptune is on MC for instance, or alchooholic fathers with Neptune in 4th house)...etc, etc. But when a person simply rebuffs all the ideas instantly - out of clear lack of knowledge and experience - she is not 'challenging' anything, but simply wanting to prove herself and argue, without nay grounds. As I said, too silly. I will not explain myself to such people.

Some interesting observations there. Vettius Valens in Chapter 1 Book 1 of his Anthology (second century AD) associates Rape with Mars. I say that not to challenge your statements above but to, in a sense, agree with you - it's possible for two or more planets to signify something. Valens also produces several paragraphs covering possible significations of Mars (and does the same for the other planets) which emphasises that from the very start of Astrology planets were seen as multi-faceted (to say the least).

The psychological approach makes great use of the Greek myths, indeed I don't think it would be possible to practice a psychological approach without them - or at least it would be exceedingly difficult to set up an equivalent frame of reference for archetypes. As I've observed before, the Hellenistic Astrologers didn't use that framework - there's no mention of myths to validate Astrology. either then or till the advent of the psychological approach. Apart from Venus, it seems that all the planetary astrological meanings used by the Greeks and later Hellenistic civilisation was lifted from Babylonian Astrology. I say that here not to invalidate the use of myths but to point out that one can practice Astrology without them - they're not essential to Astrology as a whole but they may be essential to the psychological approach and it's a perfectly valid viewpoint to see that approach as being the more rewarding one.

The interesting thing for me is where that leaves the outers. I stopped using them because I found the psychological approach was not for me. However the more I think about it the more I feel that they may have a role to play and that that role should be myth free - a not-psychological one. I'm not saying by any means that that should hold for everyone - it clearly should not and will not - but unless that step is taken it's very difficult to use the outers in a non-psychological context.

I know you would never thing of doing that :) and I'm certainly not in the business of suggesting you try :) :) :) merely musing about how I take my own Astrology forward.

at this point I have to
put my moderator's hat on for a moment. I think we all need to remember the requirements to treat other members with respect, even when we may strongly disagree with their views. It doesn't help sustain our views if we end up making personal comments about the intelligence or motives of others. I think it might be a good idea for both you and Ronia to take a breath and then perhaps edit your posts to remove references that (perhaps unintentionally) might be seen as a personal attack. Or simply to accept that what's happened isn't the way to get the best out of each other. Because I can see that you might both actually get on in the future :)

For me this thread this should not come down to psychological v event driven astrology. Rather it should be about differing views on the role of Neptune (and possibly the other outers) in a chart. It would have been better if we'd made that clear in our posts. That is Ronia should accept that you see things differently and given the nature of the forum don't want to get involved in a lengthy drawn out discussion. I think you have said enough to show that you recognise other approaches, so can we please now let it drop and get on with enjoying each others company and views :) :) :)

wind

Yes, that statement about other branches was one of the reasons why I decided I my initial reaction was wrong and I should keep quiet LOL - always count to 10 and think again :)

Clearly your view on Ronia's posts is sincerely held, though I must admit that I don't see things that way. From a personal viewpoint I see the student's role as one of challenging the teacher, even if they don't know as much. Simply taking what they are told and parroting it thereafter is not a sign of understanding. Ronia needs an explanation before she'll accepts something and for me, that happens to be the approach I'm used to after nearly 40 years teaching. A student challenging a teacher is not silliness it's part of the process of learning. However I can certainly see why you and indeed others may feel that's a drain on your energy - it's not something everyone likes or can handle without feeling stressed or at least drained. I certainly would not criticise you for feeling that way.

I'd just add that my personal viewpoint does come from my teaching background - Aeclectic is a forum for people to express their views and there's no obligation on them to teach others who want to learn, nor is there any obligation on them to defend the views they express. Coming here for relaxation and pursuing hobbies should not lead to having to explain your views. Our only obligations are those set out in the forum rules, such as showing respect for others. And that's something we should all endeavour to do.

I know that psychological astrologers believe that they do know what the main qualities of the outers are but you must realise that not everyone accepts those and may not even accept the basis of psychological astrology. I don't think there's any profit in a debate over what those qualities actually are because it calls into question our fundamental philosophy of Astrology and that's quite a big exercise. It might be something to discuss another time but in the context of this thread I think it would get us precisely nowhere. We've exchanged views and I think that is good - we don't have to agree LOL. You've been very open and honest about your views over the last few posts and I really do appreciate that :) :)

Some interesting observations there. Vettius Valens in Chapter 1 Book 1 of his Anthology (second century AD) associates Rape with Mars. I say that not to challenge your statements above but to, in a sense, agree with you - it's possible for two or more planets to signify something. Valens also produces several paragraphs covering possible significations of Mars (and does the same for the other planets) which emphasises that from the very start of Astrology planets were seen as multi-faceted (to say the least).

The psychological approach makes great use of the Greek myths, and I think you'll find that Ronia is more than familiar with them. Indeed I don't think it would be possible to practice a psychological approach without them - or at least it would be exceedingly difficult to set up an equivalent frame of reference for archetypes. As I've observed before, the Hellenistic Astrologers didn't use that framework - there's no mention of myths to validate Astrology. Apart from Venus, it seems that all the planetary astrological meanings used by the Greeks and later Hellenistic civilisation was lifted from Babylonian Astrology. I say that here not to invalidate the use of myths but to point out that one can practice Astrology without them - they're not essential to Astrology as a whole but they may be essential to the psychological approach and it's a perfectly valid viewpoint to see that approach as being the more rewarding one.

The interesting thing for me is where that leaves the outers. I stopped using them because I found the psychological approach was not for me. However the more I think about it the more I feel that they may have a role to play and that that role should be myth free - a not-psychological one. I'm not saying by any means that that should hold for everyone - it clearly should not and will not - but unless that step is taken it's very difficult to use the outers in a non-psychological context.

I know you would never thing of doing that :) and I'm certainly not in the business of suggesting you try :) :) :) merely musing about how I take my own Astrology forward.

at this point I have to
put my moderator's hat on for a moment. I've not edited out some of your stronger comments on Ronia, but I'd gently remind you that forum rules require us to show respect to other members even if we disagree with them. I'd certainly not describe Ronia or any other member as being 'silly' or on an 'ego trip', even if I thought it. So you might want to reconsider some of those statements and edit them yourself. Clearly Ronia too might want to reconsider what she said and how she deals with others when they are sensitive to such an approach.

For me this thread this should not come down to psychological v event driven astrology. Rather it should be about differing views on the role of Neptune (and possibly the other outers) in a chart. It would have been better if we'd made that clear in our posts. That is Ronia should accept that you see things differently and given the nature of the forum don't want to get involved in a lengthy drawn out discussion. I think you have said enough to show that you recognise other approaches, so can we please now let it drop and get on with enjoying each others company and views :) :) :)

Hey Miderwitz,
thank you for your kind answer! I am glad that we can discuss things in a nice way, but this has gone a bit far - poor thread on Neptune in 2/3 house has gone into all this discussions:D
But it happens sometimes, it may also be needed. I appreciate your thoughts, but as for Ronia, she stepped over the line and I don't appreciate her comments, so I am not open for discussion with her. As I said, too aggressive and not subtle enough for me. I am quite sensitive in this manner and I protect my energy.

Also, when I suggested a book where psychological Neptune is thoroughly explained, she rebuffed it, claming she is not interested in this stuff. So, if she is not interested, why she argues about it? For me this is too exhausting, too rough and I see no point in it. Some people may enjoy such aggressive approaches, they even thrive on it, gain energy out of it, but I don't. This just drags me down.
I joined the discussion to share my experience, and I was quite shocked in fact to get stuck on such provocations. For me this doesn't work. It may work for some people, but my Mercury conjunt Venus in Pisces finds this kind of level just too raw and aggressive:)

But this is me - I am not saying that other people may not have great fun with this!:) So, good luck with your explorations and absolutely nice to see different kind of astrologers here!:)

good luck
wind

dadsnook2000

Reply for Ronia

Ronia, I appreciate your specific reply. Your words point out why I seldom offer Return or cyclic charts in forums where they are not commonly used. They need to be read in a different manner that most astrologers are used to --- interpretive methods for tropical zodiac natal, progressed, directed and transiting charts are as useful as one would hope.

The natal planets within a Return or Cyclic chart have to be seen not as "potential" or "character shaping" but as the subject's life-developed manner of expressing them. The context of the subject's life style and sum of experience has to be taken into account. This changes things a bit. For Monica Lewinsky, Neptune becomes a young girls dream and fantasy shared among her friends and diary.

The transiting planets have to be viewed as "everyday" planets --- in otherwords, we use those keywords that fit into daily life situations. A personal fairytale, a wished for fantasy moment, a movie that inspires one, someone being deceitful about what they said about you to another --- these or more typical of how Neptune in transit expresses itself.

Natal or/and transiting planets express themselves when angular in the chart. The chart angles advance continuously, and the focus is always on angular planets. Similar planets that are not angular may (or may not) provide supportive information --- they are only important in some cases. Aspects to angular planets are important.

The Return or cyclic ("cyclic" or "advanced" charts are derived from the Return chart and reflect a specific day's angles, angular planets and events) charts have an important difference over transit-to-natal charts!!! The Return or on-going cyclic chart places natal and transiting planets in a re-orientated chart house structure. These changing relationships better reflect the subject's challenges in life. One's life does not always reflect the natal houses interpretively. A 2nd house focused chart will sooner or later (in a cyclic chart) have to deal with a 5th house instead (taking a chance with ones money) or a 11th house (giving money to charity or for someone else's use).

All of this is why I wrote my book, Personal Prediction. There is too much to easily lay out in a post for such a different form of astrology. It requires a shift in one's head, that is for sure. The Sidereal astrologers of the 60's, 70's and 80's made a big splash in how astrology was viewed. But, then, several died, other's did not pick up the cause, and a number of other methodologies and schools of thought came along ---- and the practice of Sidereal astrology was lost in the rush. Personal Prediction takes the Sidereal practices and re-casts them into the familiar tropical zodiac but it can't use the same techniques of tropical astrologers. It works because it uses different approaches.

So, again, thanks for your remarks. It reminds me again of the huge diversity between astrologers and astrological systems. Each system of use has to be consistent within itself. It's amazing, however, that the well-done application of astrology within a system works. We have something before us which is much bigger than any of us can see and comprehend. Dave

Ronia

Dave, thank you for explaining. I have only one question (the rest I'll read in your book): does it matter which planet is on which angle in the cyclic chart or it's irrelevant for as long as there is a planet on an angle? Like, Neptune on the IC would very often be seen as indication for a move but not in your method, is that so?

dadsnook2000

Reply to Ronia

Well, yes, it does depend upon which planet is at which angle. The ASC. represents, as it does in most astrology systems, the self, attitude, actions. The IC represents the home, resources. The DESC represents partners, the "not-self". The MC represents goals, self-image, recognition.

As far as Neptune on the IC in a return or cyclic chart meaning a move, that depends upon the context of the person's life. If one is seeking to sell or buy, or both, than bringing Neputne to the IC would be an indicator, as would having Mercury at an angle or aspecting Neptune. Mercury, in this case, at the Desc. would signify signing a contract.

Not every "daily" chart in a sequence of charts will always tell the full story. Following the cyclic charts over several days will reflect the development of an unfolding event piece by piece. One picture does not always tell the whole story, but several pictures will. Dave