what card represents a poet?

Amsonia

This is not in relation to a spread, or in relation to me trying to describe someone so I can see them in a spread...this is about the archetype of a poet, as represented by a Tarot Card.

As a 'poet' I'm referring to someone who his highly sensitive, very literate, possibly musical. Someone who experiences life through words.

My first thought is the knight of cups, but it doesn't seem quite right to me...or am I wrong? I'm not sure a poet is necessary about romance and relationships, more like being a vessel for emotions, having to express them through music or poetry or literature....

What card would you assign to a poet?

headincloud

Knight of cups sprang to my mind being a refined character with a creative gift and the magician is a card of skill with communication, moon is traditionally linked to those who create fiction or work in theatre and film industry.

Thirteen

Hanged Man?

My first thought is the knight of cups, but it doesn't seem quite right to me...or am I wrong? I'm not sure a poet is necessary about romance and relationships, more like being a vessel for emotions, having to express them through music or poetry or literature....
Not wrong at all. Poets and songwriters are all about expressing emotions, and the Knight/Cups is highly attuned to sensitive emotions—and very spiritual about them—AND being a Knight is a "messenger." And poets and songwriters deliver messages about what they're feeling. If ever there was a wandering minstrel, singing of love, sorrow, or even his/her faith, it's the Knight/Cups. Also, Knights are often cards for teens and young adults and if ever there was a card for that teen who hangs out in his/her room and writing up sad, introspective poetry or songs....well. That's the Knight/Cups for sure :joke:

I'd also say that the Hanged Man might well be a poet. His element is water, so, again, in tune with deep emotions. He goes into that position, sees things from a unique perspective, then brings back to the world what he knows and disseminates it. So, he could absolutely be a poet or songwriter, even to using words in odd ways to get across the unique ways in which he sees the world (T.S. Eliot, perhaps?).

King/Swords is a man who appreciates beautiful and balanced things. He could easily be someone who might craft very classical and elegant poetry about nature, etc.—sort of "Ode to a Grecian Urn." Meanwhile, the Queen/Wands, though more a playwright/speech writer, could probably create some rousing blank verse (Henry V's speech "Into the breech....!").

tarot_quest

I would also see the Fool as a poet, with is bohemian type of life, his innocence, playfulness and creativity. The Magician was my second choice.

KnightOfTheCosmos

I immediately thought of the Page of Cups. Young, finds inspiration in little things, is quite creative, doesn't know much about the world but still finds the beauty in it, naïve. I'd think of the Page of Cups as a teenage poet. ^___^;;

Amsonia

Knight of cups sprang to my mind being a refined character with a creative gift and the magician is a card of skill with communication, moon is traditionally linked to those who create fiction or work in theatre and film industry.
nice, thanks for reminding me of these two cards.

Not wrong at all. Poets and songwriters are all about expressing emotions, and the Knight/Cups is highly attuned to sensitive emotions—and very spiritual about them—AND being a Knight is a "messenger." And poets and songwriters deliver messages about what they're feeling. If ever there was a wandering minstrel, singing of love, sorrow, or even his/her faith, it's the Knight/Cups. Also, Knights are often cards for teens and young adults and if ever there was a card for that teen who hangs out in his/her room and writing up sad, introspective poetry or songs....well. That's the Knight/Cups for sure :joke:

I'd also say that the Hanged Man might well be a poet. His element is water, so, again, in tune with deep emotions. He goes into that position, sees things from a unique perspective, then brings back to the world what he knows and disseminates it. So, he could absolutely be a poet or songwriter, even to using words in odd ways to get across the unique ways in which he sees the world (T.S. Eliot, perhaps?).

King/Swords is a man who appreciates beautiful and balanced things. He could easily be someone who might craft very classical and elegant poetry about nature, etc.—sort of "Ode to a Grecian Urn." Meanwhile, the Queen/Wands, though more a playwright/speech writer, could probably create some rousing blank verse (Henry V's speech "Into the breech....!").

Thanks Thirteen, when you comment on my posts it kind of feels like a celebrity commenting on it, because I've read through all your insightful meanings on AT...wait, did I already tell you this in another post of mine? Anyway, it's still true :)

The hanged man is a good one to consder, depending on the nature of the poetry/literature.

Ode to a grecian urn made me laugh! I think you nailed the King of Swords, it sounds like poetry my dad would write, although his would be about a piece of electrical equipment!

I would also see the Fool as a poet, with is bohemian type of life, his innocence, playfulness and creativity. The Magician was my second choice.
The fool was actually my second choice :)

I immediately thought of the Page of Cups. Young, finds inspiration in little things, is quite creative, doesn't know much about the world but still finds the beauty in it, naïve. I'd think of the Page of Cups as a teenage poet. ^___^;;

I considered that as well, although I feel like most poets aren't necessarily naive, so yes, a teenage poet.

nisaba

I often see the Three Pentacles as describing all of the higher arts at their best, poetry included.

Thirteen

RE: the Teen poet....

Page of Cups as a teenage poet.
I agree on the naive, and on the ability of the page, like the Fool, to see fresh beauty in the world...but to me the Page/Cups is a much younger poet than what I would consider a "teen" poet (13-19). I don't necessarily mean in actual years. I mean emotionally and in talent with words and such. This doesn't mean that his/her poetry can't be beautiful and profound. Some children write wonderful little poems. And as Emily Dickinson so amazingly proves, simple seeming poems (in rhyme and word choice) can be powerful and deep. But I would presume that the Page/Cup's poetry wouldn't be that deep; they'd be the sweetest and most optimistic. The sort of poetry that indicates that the poet hasn't experienced emotional betrayal, heartache or skepticism. Not Yet.

Most 15 year old poets I know write something like: "Infinite Night! Dark. Death! He left, and my heart was sucked into a black hole..." :D Which is to say, they're still emotionally naive, but they've gone beyond "roses are red..." Which is why I labeled the Knight/Cups the teen/young adult poet rather than the Page. Because the Knight, presumably, has experienced emotional betrayal and heartache and skepticism. Knights, after all, know they might have to fight, maybe even die for what they believe in and want—which for the Knight/Cups would be Love. And I would read him as very much wanting to do that, to prove his love. Which equates him, IMHO, to those most famous of teen poets: Romeo and Juliet. Always on the move there on his his horse, restless and moody and writing poetry that expresses the dark and turbulent side of emotions.

Putting it another way, I just can't see the Page/Cups, standing there gazing with wonder into his cup and all the emotions he's discovering there, writing poetry about killing him/herself because his love was spurned. But I can see the Knight/Cups, riding away from a failed romance, composing such a poem in his head to write down later...even if he doesn't mean to actually kill himself. ;)

KnightOfTheCosmos

I agree on the naive, and on the ability of the page, like the Fool, to see fresh beauty in the world...but to me the Page/Cups is a much younger poet than what I would consider a "teen" poet (13-19). I don't necessarily mean in actual years. I mean emotionally and in talent with words and such. This doesn't mean that his/her poetry can't be beautiful and profound. Some children write wonderful little poems. And as Emily Dickinson so amazingly proves, simple seeming poems (in rhyme and word choice) can be powerful and deep. But I would presume that the Page/Cup's poetry wouldn't be that deep; they'd be the sweetest and most optimistic. The sort of poetry that indicates that the poet hasn't experienced emotional betrayal, heartache or skepticism. Not Yet.

Most 15 year old poets I know write something like: "Infinite Night! Dark. Death! He left, and my heart was sucked into a black hole..." :D Which is to say, they're still emotionally naive, but they've gone beyond "roses are red..." Which is why I labeled the Knight/Cups the teen/young adult poet rather than the Page. Because the Knight, presumably, has experienced emotional betrayal and heartache and skepticism. Knights, after all, know they might have to fight, maybe even die for what they believe in and want—which for the Knight/Cups would be Love. And I would read him as very much wanting to do that, to prove his love. Which equates him, IMHO, to those most famous of teen poets: Romeo and Juliet. Always on the move there on his his horse, restless and moody and writing poetry that expresses the dark and turbulent side of emotions.

Putting it another way, I just can't see the Page/Cups, standing there gazing with wonder into his cup and all the emotions he's discovering there, writing poetry about killing him/herself because his love was spurned. But I can see the Knight/Cups, riding away from a failed romance, composing such a poem in his head to write down later...even if he doesn't mean to actually kill himself. ;)

Ah okay, well sorry I was wrong. I take it back. I guess the Knight of Cups is a better fit...It's just that in many of the tarot handbooks I have, pages are described as kids to late teens. -shrugs- I guess that was my mishap...

suk

I have always seen the King of Pentacles as a poet, somehow, especially in the RW deck. He's mystical and spiritual to me, much more sensitive and artistic than any of the other characters.