A Zodiac Oracle?

blue_fusion

I would like to seek advice regarding something. I have a stash of 48 uncolored line illustrations I did years ago. They feature male and female versions of Western and Eastern zodiac signs (e.g. a male illustration for Virgo and a female illustration for Virgo). They were done after I created the Tarot Bagong Sining (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/bagong-sining/ ) and I toyed with the idea of releasing them as supplements to the deck - but self-publishing was an expensive endeavor back then.

I still do plan to release them maybe as art cards. I was wondering, though, of there is also any potential for them to be used for divination. Like for people knowledgeable with the meanings and characteristics of both zodiac traditions

Also, have you guys encountered other oracle decks that are primarily based on the zodiac?

-Ly

decan

Concerning the signs of the zodiac there are male or female, but not both.
Male signs: Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius, Aquarius
Female signs: Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn, Pisces

Concerning your other questions, I don't know on my side.

blue_fusion

Concerning the signs of the zodiac there are male or female, but not both.
Male signs: Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius, Aquarius
Female signs: Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn, Pisces

Concerning your other questions, I don't know on my side.

Hi Decan! It was more like the result of an artistic exercise. Depicting a zodiac sign in its own gender and the opposite's. That was part of the artistic vision of the Tarot Bagong Sining - it had a male and female version of each card (e.g. a male Emperor and a female Emperor, a male High Priestess and a female High Priestess, and so on). A work of art incites a reaction from the viewer, moves her/him (to sadness, joy, anger, etc) - and part of my goal when I did two gendered versions of the cards was to I guess see how people would view this in the context of tarot (what would a male High Priestess mean? What would it contribute to a reading? And so on).

Apologies in advance if I am not very good at explaining myself. :)

-Ly

decan

Hi, yes I took a look at the Tarot Bagong Sining and understand your creative process! It evokes me the cards we use to see, and an other version of them from "the hanged man" perspective. Of course this creates new insights for each card!

Well, with the zodiac I am a bit traditional I recognize it, and ideally I would prefer a medieval imagery and so on :D
Nevertheless a Rebel Zodiac Oracle could be interesting with regard to inovation and creation! :)

rachelcat

I think an astrology oracle from you would be amazing!

Most astrology oracles have cards for signs, planets, and houses, usually with the idea that you draw one of each and read it as you would a chart: "the moon in Sagittarius in the 8th house."

I think it would be nice to have cards for aspects, too (especially since that's one part of astrology I haven't even made a dent in yet!).

I think you could easily extend your male and female versions to the planets! You'd have to decide which planets to include. Oh, and if you want angle cards, too. (Ascendant, MC, etc.) And maybe just one card for each house.

Just fantasizing here! (All this would depend on if you wanted to create more cards.)

A deck of only 24 cards might be a bit slim for some. But who am I kidding? I'd go for it in a minute!

blue_fusion

Hi, yes I took a look at the Tarot Bagong Sining and understand your creative process! It evokes me the cards we use to see, and an other version of them from "the hanged man" perspective. Of course this creates new insights for each card!

Well, with the zodiac I am a bit traditional I recognize it, and ideally I would prefer a medieval imagery and so on :D
Nevertheless a Rebel Zodiac Oracle could be interesting with regard to inovation and creation! :)

Haha yes this is rather a Rebel Zodiac project. :D I like your medieval idea too. Maybe for something in the future? ;) Given that this current series also features the Chinese zodiac, I woonder how these 12 other signs will be represented in a medieval theme? Or perhaps a Silk Road theme would be a nice starting point? :D

blue_fusion

I think an astrology oracle from you would be amazing!

Most astrology oracles have cards for signs, planets, and houses, usually with the idea that you draw one of each and read it as you would a chart: "the moon in Sagittarius in the 8th house."

I think it would be nice to have cards for aspects, too (especially since that's one part of astrology I haven't even made a dent in yet!).

I think you could easily extend your male and female versions to the planets! You'd have to decide which planets to include. Oh, and if you want angle cards, too. (Ascendant, MC, etc.) And maybe just one card for each house.

Just fantasizing here! (All this would depend on if you wanted to create more cards.)

A deck of only 24 cards might be a bit slim for some. But who am I kidding? I'd go for it in a minute!

It's actually already a 48 image series - it also includes male and female versions of the Chinese Zodiac. :D So it has more cards than a Lenormand LOL Your reply makes me wish I was knowledgeable in Astrology! It has a lot of potential for adding symbolism to the deck.

I am temporarily calling this project Sining ng Zodiac (art of the Zodiac). The line drawings are done. Will post samples tomorrow. The art style has much more variation than the Bagong Sining's - it fluctuates from Art Nouveau, Art Deco, the Arts and Crafts Movement, and even Second Empire. Lol

-Ly

Laura Borealis

I like the premise, and if they're in Bagong Sining style they are no doubt beautiful cards :)

I don't see the signs as gendered myself, which could be just my personal bias - but when I read things like "there are male or female, but not both" I have to raise an eyebrow.

Also, have you guys encountered other oracle decks that are primarily based on the zodiac?

-Ly

I've seen online, or in the reading forums, various astrology or zodiac oracles. The only one I have personally is Le Tarot Astrologique. Despite the name it's not a tarot, but a deck based on the decans - three cards for each decan, plus a card for each planet, one for the ascendant, one for the moon's nodes, and "the part of fortune".

ETA Sorry, my link to Tarotgarden isn't working but here:
http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/images/a-decks/astrological1927cards.gif

blue_fusion

I like the premise, and if they're in Bagong Sining style they are no doubt beautiful cards :)

I don't see the signs as gendered myself, which could be just my personal bias - but when I read things like "there are male or female, but not both" I have to raise an eyebrow.

I've seen online, or in the reading forums, various astrology or zodiac oracles. The only one I have personally is Le Tarot Astrologique. Despite the name it's not a tarot, but a deck based on the decans - three cards for each decan, plus a card for each planet, one for the ascendant, one for the moon's nodes, and "the part of fortune".

Again, sorely wishing I had studied astrology (although to my defense, it really did seem like reading Klingon to me). The drawings of the deck are just, for example - male Capricorn, or female Dog (lol not the b word). I think when I was drawing them years ago I just wanted an outlet for, well, drawing, but figured that a person knowledgeable with zodiac signs and their personalities and characteristics might be able to find a way to use them. Lol

The Bagong Sining had a "tighter" rein in terms of what should go in the card (for example, in its male Moon card, it depicts a man partially hidden by clouds - that cloudy personality of the Moon card, and also has an ibis behind him - Thoth's - a moon god's - bird). With this Zodiac project, I was more... free in drawing what I felt like drawing. It really is more of an art deck but I was wondering (which was why I created this thread) if some people can make sense of pulling out an Aquarius card and being able to interpret it in a reading.

JUst to illustrate, attached is a mock up of the uncolored line drawing for the series' female Dog card (notice the hot pants! Lol for some reason I liked the clash of ideas in "hot pants meets Art Nouveau") I posted in FB years ago. This really is more of a playful art series. :D

Attachments

• FB_IMG_14715331927035952.jpg
    FB_IMG_14715331927035952.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 130

Laura Borealis

Heh! I like the hot pants :D I was imagining an actual dog though!

I do think the Zodiacs are ripe grounds for interpretation. This might be a weird thought, but I could see a deck like this used for significators for readings done with other decks.