Scythe directionality

Aster Breo

I'm confused about the Scythe card. I've read various things about how to interpret it depending on which direction it's facing. For example, the card that the blade is pointing to represents what will be cut. The card near the handle represents what's safe or "gathered in".

So, is it the outside arc of the blade that points to the thing getting cut? Or the point/tip of the blade?

My confusion probably stems from my understanding that it's the inside arc of the blade that is the cutting edge of a real scythe. Therefore, it doesn't make sense to me that, in a card spread, the outside edge would point to what's getting cut. The part about the handle confuses me, too, since the handle and the cutting edge face the same direction.

Or maybe -- probably -- I'm not understanding the card descriptions.

Padma

wow, so weird, I posted an answer and it didn't show up! :confused: I guess it got cut by the Scythe :laugh:

Seriously now, the back part or handle side indicates whatever falls to that side of the card is safe, while the front tip or blade is the side that cuts whatever is in the card that falls after it.

For instance, in the Blue Owl deck, whatever would fall on the left side or handle side of the card is what is safe, and whatever falls to the right or blade side of the Scythe in this card gets cut...

Does that help...?

Attachments

• LENORMAND SCYTHE.jpg
    LENORMAND SCYTHE.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 234

Aster Breo

Ah. So it's about the position of the blade *relative to the position of the handle*. Not about which way the cutting edge of the blade is facing.

Correct?

Padma

well, it *is* about where the blade faces, yes...(I must be misunderstanding you?)

Here is another example or two -

In card one, or first pic, the Scythe is going to cut whatever is falling on the left side of it, and whatever is falling on the right of the card is safe.

In pic #2, whatever falls to either left or right gets cut!

ETA oops forgot pics, came back to upload! ;)

Attachments

• Scythe 2.jpg
    Scythe 2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 257
  • Stralsund-Lenormand-10-Scythe.jpg
    Stralsund-Lenormand-10-Scythe.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 241

1Eleven

It's the tip or pointy side of the blade.

Direction, to me, is used for additional information. The core meaning does not change. I also do not agree with a "safe" side. The point just shows where the the threat could be stemming from but all cards near by are still impacted.

Padma

I just found exactly the right card to show you, as the illustration makes it really clear, haha!

You see that the front part of the cow, which falls behind the handle, is safe.

But the back part, where the blade faces to the left, is marked as cuts of meat! ;)

Attachments

• perfect example Scythe.jpg
    perfect example Scythe.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 221

Padma

It's the tip or pointy side of the blade.

Direction, to me, is used for additional information. The core meaning does not change. I also do not agree with a "safe" side. The point just shows where the the threat could be stemming from but all cards near by are still impacted.

Wow, interesting take! Would you expand a bit, 111...? :)

Padma

Hi Padma, what, specifically, would you like me to expand on?

well, you say "where the threat could be stemming from" as opposed to "what is being cut" - and also you say it impacts all the cards around it...I always saw it as just impacting the card directly ahead of it (on the blade side). So I thought maybe you could explain more about how you see it or read it in a spread?

1Eleven

I'll come back to this tomorrow - sound ok? For now, yes, it can be what's in danger or where the threat arises. I can dig up a short reading if that would be helpful.