The Wild Unknown- 0 The Fool

jcwirish

A baby bird stands precariously on a small blossoming tree branch. Still covered in baby down, the young chick lifts one tiny leg, fearlessly preparing to try it's first hand at flying. Anyone can see that the bird is not yet ready to take this step, but the bird is determined and unaware of any potential dangers. Stripes of earthy colors line the background. At the top of the card the colors range from orange, yellow and tan. Towards the bottom of the card, the colors gradually get darker ending in a deep chocolate brown. This darkness represents the vast unknown which our bird is about to dive into. The chick is a brand new life, completely innocent and ignorant of the harsh realities of life. It's just eager to take that first leap and begin the journey that lies ahead.

I absolutely love this card! It is the best depiction of the meaning and emotion of the Fool that I have ever seen. What a perfect way to depict the true innocence and naivety of the first card of the deck. The bird is acting solely on instinct. It knows it has to take this leap in order to begin its life as a bird. We all know that a few babies from the nest are not going to make it past this first step, yet they all take it with complete trust. All the bird knows is that it is meant to fly, and the only way to do that it is to jump from the safety of the branch and go for it.

For me, this card is that leap of faith we all have to take if we hope to grow and learn from this life. It is the innocence and trust that comes from doing something for the first time without the knowledge of the things that can go wrong. It is the joy of meeting something head on with confidence and an eager heart. It's making the decision to follow a path into unknown territory, and simply letting the chips fall where they may. It's trusting that the universe is going to somehow guide you to the final destination.

celticnoodle

well done, JC! yes, this card really depicts the meaning of the fool well. innocence and naivety. a leap of faith--I love all that you mentioned for this card.

jcwirish

well done, JC! yes, this card really depicts the meaning of the fool well. innocence and naivety. a leap of faith--I love all that you mentioned for this card.

Thanks CN. I just love this card!

ladybird

Well said, jcwirish! I love it, too.

You really do get the feeling that this is the beginning. I didn't notice the chick's right leg was sticking out to make that leap! :D So fresh, so innocent and you can tell that it's puffiness will help to cushion the fall. They, like children, are able to spring right back. and speaking of "Spring"! This card has that feeling of Spring with the cherry/apple blossoms on the tree. A new start. A fresh new cycle or journey. The Beginning.

ladybird

a brief overview of the Fool from the Kim Krans book:

Keywords: SPONTANEITY, INNOCENCE

"The fool is ready to fly." ~ Kim Krans
*leaving behind the comfort of a nest
*beginning the journey
*beginnings
*spontaneous, excited, naive & inexperienced
*be ready to be called 'the fool'.
*be ready to fall..

inanna_tarot

I saw an image of this card somewhere online and I knew I had to get this deck...

The young, gentle, innocent, fragile bird, preparing itself to take that instinctual leap.... I wonder if it is the first of the brood or the last - and whether that makes a difference to its fool like nature and getting ready to jump.

I love the delicate flowers just coming into blossom on the branch too...

And I find it really inspiring how the artist has focused on the yellow of the new dawn/new day....all that energy and hope, and yet the focus of the card is the chick and the branch - and in a way that lack of colour shows the lack of hope/judgement about the Fool card. Its neither good or bad to start new things - it is just movement. What happens after the leap can be determined as 'good or bad' but the leap itself isn't either. We have to make that leap of faith not knowing the future, because then we make it completely.

I think of Batman Rises - you have to be afraid to really 'jump' - you have to jump into projects with the fear to do it, but with the knowledge that either way the outcome will be worthwhile.
There is something about this I see in this card. The Bird has its its heart pounding, the instinct to jump and fly vs the fear of not being on tree, of leaving the comfort of the nest.

Such amazing evocative artwork.

Sulis

I absolutely love this card too and don't really have anything else to add.
These cards seem to illicit an emotional response that really cuts to the heart of what the archetypes represent and this Fool card does just that.
As usual, I love the use of colour in this card. The way the 'dark unknown' is represented by the darkness below the branch. I love the use of the blossom - it makes me think of newness and innocence, just as the baby chick does...
The chick is fearless just as toddlers are - they just don't know there's a danger so they have faith that they'll be OK...

Attachments

• The Fool 0.jpg
    The Fool 0.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,448

janie144

I drew this card today and had a sudden thought of a poem I had read a long time ago (by Christopher Logue)

Come to the edge.
We might fall.
Come to the edge.
It's too high!
COME TO THE EDGE!
And they came
And he pushed
And they flew.

I think it sums this card up perfectly for me, we all suffer from fear sometimes, but if we let our fear hold us back, and never take any risks, we will never be aware of our true potential or what we are actually capable of.

My favorite fool card EVER!

momentarylight

Janie, this is a beautiful card, Having seen your post today, I finally decided to buy this deck :)

theboomz

I drew this card today and had a sudden thought of a poem I had read a long time ago (by Christopher Logue)

Come to the edge.
We might fall.
Come to the edge.
It's too high!
COME TO THE EDGE!
And they came
And he pushed
And they flew.

I think it sums this card up perfectly for me, we all suffer from fear sometimes, but if we let our fear hold us back, and never take any risks, we will never be aware of our true potential or what we are actually capable of.

My favorite fool card EVER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz8iEJeh26E