The Wild Unknown Tarot - IV Pentacles

Sulis

4 coins or pentacles are arranged in a diamond pattern. Behind them the card is shaded but inside the diamond made by the coins there is white space.
The coins are linked by coloured threads in a geometric pattern - a diamond or square that encompasses all 4 and holds them together then blue and green threads in the shape of figure 8s and an elliptical pattern that hold the opposite coins together..

This is a card of solidity to me. It's a double Earth card; 4 being the number of Earth and Pentacles being the suit representing Earth.
So it's solid and stable and it looks literally held together with the coloured bonds.
This card makes me think of stability in the material world, of holding things close and of having good foundations on which to build. The image makes me think of order and boundaries.

There seems to be so much more in this card than what I'm describing but I think it does show the essence of the 4 of Earth really well.

Attachments

• 4 Pentacles.jpg
    4 Pentacles.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 2,329

Nemia

I agree. The card also makes me think of movement - like a simple machine where leather or rubber cords move wheels. I can see the wheels moving if I look long enough at the cards. Yes they may even make a little sound while they turn.

There are three threads holding the four wheels in perfect balance and movement, far as I can see. Two smaller ones that only hold two opposing wheels, and one longer thread that embraces all four of them. Keeping the details and the whole under control.

The interplay of colors is nice, too. One bluish thread, one blue-purplish, and one blue-green-yellowish.

For me, the association is festina lente, eile mit Weile, walk don't run... slow and steady.

BSwett

Cogs of a well oiled machine. If any of this pentacles spins the others move as well. Efficient and organized movement. Makes me think of elegant body motion, like tai-chi or yoga...

inanna_tarot

I got this card in my Sacred Day of Yule reading...

I took it to represent (in a 'blockage' position) that actually sometimes we can be too much 'in the box'. That whilst sometimes everything likes to fit together like a well-oiled machine, and other times, life is a bit open ended, chaotic, free-flowing, and this sort of everything in its place mindset is not always conducive.

Sometimes we need to break the mould... sometimes we work better well within it :)

Pixna

Everyone's insights have been so helpful! I, too, see this as a well-oiled machine. I hadn't noticed, however, that when one wheel turns they all will turn -- thanks, BSwett for pointing that out! And, Nemia, now that you mention it, I can almost hear that little sound you mentioned! :)

Sulis, thank you for pointing out the diamond shape. This indicates to me the stability and solidity this card represents.

Inanna, I got this card in a one-card reading with The Tower -- the IV Pentacles was the card of clarification. To me, these two seemed like such opposites. But your explanation was quite helpful. Perhaps, juxtaposed with The Tower, the message of the IV Pentacles is to be more free flowing and open-ended and think (or act or work) outside the box.

Pam O

The coins are linked by coloured threads in a geometric pattern - a diamond or square that encompasses all 4 and holds them together then blue and green threads in the shape of figure 8s and an elliptical pattern that hold the opposite coins together..

I agree. The card also makes me think of movement - like a simple machine where leather or rubber cords move wheels. I can see the wheels moving if I look long enough at the cards. Yes they may even make a little sound while they turn.

Cogs of a well oiled machine. If any of this pentacles spins the others move as well. Efficient and organized movement. Makes me think of elegant body motion, like tai-chi or yoga...

Everyone's insights have been so helpful! I, too, see this as a well-oiled machine. I hadn't noticed, however, that when one wheel turns they all will turn -- thanks, BSwett for pointing that out! And, Nemia, now that you mention it, I can almost hear that little sound you mentioned! :)

A HUGE thank you to Sulis for starting so many of the threads for the Wild Unknown deck studies. You have such wonderful insights and you have a great writing style. I know I am one who REALLY appreciate you getting these going. :)

I see a pulley system (in addition to the symbolism others have identified).
It feels like it could be similar to the belt system in a vehicle where:
*-the main engine crank powers the belt to move and incorporates pulleys for the following:
1-the fan to air cool the engine
2-the water pump to internally cool the engine by making water/antifreeze flow thru the radiator
3-the alternator to keep the battery charged so the engine will start next time
4-the optional air conditioning pump to get the Freon to cool the air to help keep the driver over heating

(I can check with my husband to see if I explained this right and included all that is incorporated into the pulley system of a vehicle.)

So essentially, in the case of an vehicle, the current pulley system design is necessary for the engine to run properly over time (with the exception of the air conditioner which is more for comfort than necessity in most scenarios).

An integrated system, such as the example of a vehicle's pulley system, can fit into many aspects of our material worlds.
For example: in order for a person's body to function and live in balance, we need basics like: air, water, food...

Thanks again to everyone participating here at AT. :thumbsup:

Pam O

Now I also get reminded of a person using colored yarn to make a design on Pentacle shaped pegs.

Pixna

Those are wonderful analogies, Pam O. Interesting about the yarn. Yes, I can see that too -- in a way it's like the yarn/string finger games I played with friends as a child. In viewing the card that way, it could be encouraging rest and relaxation -- taking a break and having fun.

Akiwa

Hi everyone, i just got my deck today,and am reading your wise posts as I work with the cards. They are so beautiful. This card reminds me of those games too, Pixna, Cat's Cradle was the one that came to mind, and how with a finite circle of string so many shapes and designs can be created... the within the stability of earth of earth, we also have tremendous variety and change and flexibility... it's beautiful.

I do keep wondering why the artist didn't stick with animals for all the cards,and has these geometric designs on some. I didn't spring for the book, so maybe it says in there, but it seems like an interesting artistic decision to me. Anyway! I know, off topic!

Erizae

Hello, newbie here!

Hello, this is my first post in here :)

I just got my deck on Friday, and while doing a relationship reading just now I drew IV Pentacles. Reading all the posts here has given me new ideas about how to interpret the card, but when I looked at the description of the card from the provided "cheat sheet" (which said /possession, control/), I noticed that the strings, while pretty, appeared to bind the Pentacles/coins and hold them in place. The shaded area would be the outside world, while within the Pentacles is a space made by the arranger, one's own world so as to speak.

Also, control can be felt just from the presence of the strings. The strings make the formation look orderly and neat, but they also restrict the Pentacles/coins from moving where they please.

Just my interpretation anyway.. I hope it helps! ><