9 of swords

mystical_symphony

What traits would a 9 of swords type of individual have?

Physically, the person in question seems to embody the physical attributes that the swords might represent in a human being (tall, blond, light skin).
9 of swords is a somewhat unpleasant card, but this particular young man is a very gentle soul. Could this card be describing his physical attributes alone? What is the significance of 9?

RaeBelle

The 9 (of swords) corresponds with the Hermit....a loner, keeping to themselves, looking inwards, etc. Sometimes, the 9 of swords also indicates thinking too much....making a mountain out of a molehill.

YDM42

Maybe he is a worrier- he worries and is sensitive to others.

WalesWoman

I think this person worries a lot or is anxious, perhaps makes mountains out of molehills. Perhaps he has some sort of sleeping problem or has a mind that won't shut off.

Funny, I always thought of swords as having dark eyes & hair, but tall and slender, with sharp, chiseled features.

With 9 he might be a loner, independent, is almost complete, but not quite finished... maybe has the capacity to put things together and find something cohesive in all of them. He is probably content with himself or comfortable in his own company, he doesn't need to be with people... or he may going through some depression, withdrawing from others or has some phobias, maybe even a fear of the dark or of dreaming.

mystical_symphony

One question begets 10 others!

A sword type of person would be tall and dark and chiseled? I thought it was light! Well, you learn something new every day. Air signs tend to be more dark (Vata.. of the three Doshas of Ayurveda, tend to be dark, thin, and dry skinned... intellectual types)... Makes sense.

Would swords represent someone who is in the military?

mollymawk

Swords can definitely represent someone in the military--it is one of the traditional meanings, and seems to have held true.

Sakura Murasaki

mystical_symphony said:
A sword type of person would be tall and dark and chiseled? I thought it was light! Well, you learn something new every day. Air signs tend to be more dark (Vata.. of the three Doshas of Ayurveda, tend to be dark, thin, and dry skinned... intellectual types)... Makes sense.

Would swords represent someone who is in the military?

I think that the "wands" or "cups" are supposed to be "light." But then again, I pay more attention to elements and astrology than I do to the traditional physical attributes that each suit is supposed to have. :p

I recently did a reading where I drew the "Nine of Swords" for someone's past. I said that, "You may have gone through a period of depression or intense emotion. You may have let certain fears interfere with your life to the point that though you suffered in silence, people were beginning to notice. The situation wasn't as bad as you thought, but it still caused you a heck of a lot of stress." According to him, he said that was an accurate description.

Voron

I thought that the Swords were supposed to be fair skinned, but dark-haired -- I don't remember whether their eyes were supposed to be light or dark...
as opposed to disks, which were supposed to be more dark all-around.

The planet and sign associated with the 9 of Swords is Mars and Gemini, and the 9 itself has a further correlation with the Moon through the Qabalistic Sephira of Yesod. And, of course, Gemini is ruled by Mercury.

This person is highly intellectual and emotional/passionate at the same time. I would say some people represented by this could be prone to bouts of cruelty (to others), while others may direct it more internally (tortured thoughts). Mental disturbance is potentially indicated, possibly insomnia (from over-thinking), obsession, depression, bi-polar, etc .

At times I feel I know this card all too well.
:-7

TarotMoon

Nine is the number of completion - 3x3 (10s are actually transitional, since they are also 1s numerologically speaking). So in a 9 of Swords we have a person with highly developed capacities related to the suit of Swords - analytical abilities, communication abilities, perhaps technological or computer-related capabilities. Remember that the picture on the card is only one facet of the archetype represented by the card, and it doesn't necessarily mean he worries or has headaches constantly - although it's possible. It could mean that he spends a lot of time thinking things through and analyzing them to completion. It could also be that he's a night owl. This sort of person would feel driven eventually to act on his thoughts, even if the action he takes is mainly communicative - like blogging or writing.

I wouldn't even go there with traditional physical characteristics. Anyone related to any suit could be any color or appearance. Remember that the early decks were European in nature and don't represent the vast majority of the world's population.