3 Cups = friends? Or something more?

YDM42

I've had it show up as an online forum..I think it's about communion which can happen with couple if there relationship is among friends.

Amanda

Biba28 said:
Hi,

I'm always having trouble with this card and wonder if you guys can help me out. I've read such diverse meanings as friendship, girly get-togethers (b*tching when reversed), and general party situations, to marriage, official celebrations i.e. christenings, to even consummating a relationship in a very tangible sense ;)

Can someone give me a hand with this one? If you got it in a reading asking whether someone has romantic feelings at the moment for you, what would you interpret that as?

I find it very ambiguous :S

I would take it as someone might have noticed you across a room full of people. Not necessarily romantic.. but it is a cup... could be saying they've got some 'vibes' for you.

SunChariot

Biba28 said:
Hi,

I'm always having trouble with this card and wonder if you guys can help me out. I've read such diverse meanings as friendship, girly get-togethers (b*tching when reversed), and general party situations, to marriage, official celebrations i.e. christenings, to even consummating a relationship in a very tangible sense ;)

Can someone give me a hand with this one? If you got it in a reading asking whether someone has romantic feelings at the moment for you, what would you interpret that as?

I find it very ambiguous :S

It's ambigous to me too in and of itself. The way I read, Cups of course are feeligns and the 3's refer back to The Empress. To make a long story short, for me, the 3 of Cups means the person has caring and nurturing feelings for the other person. Those feelings COULD be part of romantic feelings, but they also COULD be purely friendship. For me, the number and suit would not be enough but just a starting point. THEN I would look at the card image to tell me the rest, to tell me which it is.

Babs

willowfox

Isn't a true friendship a form of love?

WalesWoman

I think that the person might feel really good about being around the other person, in party situations and perhaps feel amorous, since that is also one of the emotions often appears after having 3 drinks or so.

Or maybe they feel love drunk.

Sade

Fostha said:
I wouldn't say 'in love' as such,more like a mutual trust/respect between them,(and isn't that what real friendships are supposed to be all about)2 people that look extremely comfortable with one another,and yet they don't even face one another,not like in the 2cups image anyway,that's more the 'in love' look IMO,just the way hes holding her face in his hand. :grin: (I'd post a link but I don't know how to ).

Hey Fostha,
I suppose everyone will see things differently cos to me they look in love and waaay more than friends. The fact that it is a man and woman is also significant in my opinion cos rider waite shows 3 women.
The headiness of the 2 of cups has developed into something way deeper.

I can't post a link either lol

214red

I think at the end of the day it depends on how you felt about the card romantically before you had pulled it in that position for yourself, if you had always seen that card as romantic go for it, if you havent then take that.

eyeDEEclaire

Sometimes people start out as friends and it evolves into something more. I know lots of couples who were just friends(sometimes for years) and are now in committed relationships with one another. :)

SirRushing

3 Cups is more like Friends with Benefits. The Party Girl and The Playboy. Because you are having a romantic relationship, but the relationship is open to other people as well. It could imply that you are "easy" by doing Tim, Dick and Harry symbolized by the 3 persons dancing with each other as if they are celebrating, "We all three of us banged her good!" Or if it is a guy, he see himself having a harem with all the three women.

If you are a querant looking for serious love, and you ask the cards how the new person sees or feels about you and you get the 3 Cups, then it means that they just want to have sex with you and have a GOOD TIME, but nothing more that is emotionally intimate. They just see you as one of their many sexual conquests, or life experiences. They have no plans of having a serious relationship with you.

Or, if I stop being pessimistic, the person sees you as a good friend. And some people wants a lover who is a good friend first, because they don't trust relationships of where you try to turn a lover into a friend, because usually that don't work out too well. Rather have a friend turn into a lover.