old school fool or new school?

myrrhmyrrh

Hi again,

So I'm reading for a friend, a romantic situation and she has the Fool as The Situation Now which if I were using an RWS deck wd be pretty straightforward : now is the time to seize chances, all possibles are open to seize the day.

And I'm tempted to go with that as she has an Ace (new beginnings) 3 different cup cards (love) the Star as her outcome, which is a good omen and hopeful, and finally Temperance as his outcome, which could be the merging ot the two together. So that all makes me want to give a happy reading to the Fool

My problem is that I read from the Estensi deck which has a non Colman-Smith Fool, rather a real idiot kind of fool, and so I fear that I might be reading it wrong and she's making a fool of herself. Right next to the Fool is the King of Cups ("where this relationship is headed"- toward a man who is a benefactor of the arts, which is the case) looking over, almost disapproving of the Fool's antics. Or maybe it's that she maybe acting up and out now but still it will come out ok?

I know I've given you a great deal of cards but they're really for context as to how to read the Fool as this deck is problematic for me - I've lost the LWB and even so I've read here that it's not that helpful.

Note that I did not use reversals for this reading which doesn't help matters

Thankyou in advance everyone

jnett

Hi again,

So I'm reading for a friend, a romantic situation and she has the Fool as The Situation Now which if I were using an RWS deck wd be pretty straightforward : now is the time to seize chances, all possibles are open to seize the day.

And I'm tempted to go with that as she has an Ace (new beginnings) 3 different cup cards (love) the Star as her outcome, which is a good omen and hopeful, and finally Temperance as his outcome, which could be the merging ot the two together. So that all makes me want to give a happy reading to the Fool

My problem is that I read from the Estensi deck which has a non Colman-Smith Fool, rather a real idiot kind of fool, and so I fear that I might be reading it wrong and she's making a fool of herself. Right next to the Fool is the King of Cups ("where this relationship is headed"- toward a man who is a benefactor of the arts, which is the case) looking over, almost disapproving of the Fool's antics. Or maybe it's that she maybe acting up and out now but still it will come out ok?

I know I've given you a great deal of cards but they're really for context as to how to read the Fool as this deck is problematic for me - I've lost the LWB and even so I've read here that it's not that helpful.

The Situation: The Fool card. Someone is taking a leap of faith in this relationship. The only negative about the fool card upright, some may warn her to take the relationship slow, (Not really a negative in my opinion). King of Cups: An emotionally stable individual; possibly a water sign. Your interpretation of all the other cards in the reading are spot on... Love is in the air! Yea, I would have done the reading with reversals.... just to be on the safe side.

myrrhmyrrh

Hello jnett

Yes, that's certainly how I want to read it, not only bc it's my friend and I want her to be happy, but also because the other cards seem so promising. I should have done reversals but I'm just about to start Mary Greer's reversal book and I didn't want to take them on before finishing it.

But I also think you're right in that this man as far as I know has only given subtle signals of interest and so it would indeed be a leap of faith for her, but gd I don't want to be the one to encourage her to make an ass of herself either!

jnett

Hello jnett

Yes, that's certainly how I want to read it, not only bc it's my friend and I want her to be happy, but also because the other cards seem so promising. I should have done reversals but I'm just about to start Mary Greer's reversal book and I didn't want to take them on before finishing it.

But I also think you're right in that this man as far as I know has only given subtle signals of interest and so it would indeed be a leap of faith for her, but gd I don't want to be the one to encourage her to make an ass of herself either!

Just tell her what the cards indicated and that you do not read reversals. You don't have to give advice. I try never to give personal advice, because I am not licensed as a counselor or psychologist. Every once in a while, I do give my opinion if asked. She has free will to make the decision. I know this situation is difficult because she is your friend. Maybe you represent the individual giving the warning about taking this leap of faith (The Fool Card).

myrrhmyrrh

Thank you jnett, perhaps we shouldn't read for people we know, like surgeons can't operate on family members

euripides

On the one hand, this is a classic theatrical fool - donkey's ears and a chain of bells. But on the other hand, while the top half of the character is clothed, the bare legs suggest genuine madness.

This card is based on the Charles VI deck; the Este deck depicts an even more undressed fool. In both cases, being taunted and having his clothes pulled off by children. I would say the common theme with children and animals in the fool cards is that neither have any respect for social mores - they reveal the true foolishness of the human condition, for all we frantically try to cover our embarrassment and show off our status.

The fool in literature most often is the innocent who sees the truth of things. Not fettered by normal rules, they'll speak simply what they see. As the fool, they have dispensation to do so: we can't punish them for their honesty.

So I'm tending to read this card as a call to see the situation clearly. Recognize the true nature of the humans involved: bodies, hormones, emotional baggage, social convention. Try to take a step back and examine your feelings. Is this a good relationship on every level, or driven by physical desire? Or perhaps by the need to be 'a couple' to feel fulfilled? I'm not saying that either of these are the case, but rather suggesting that this is the kind of open-eyed examination that is called for.

Imagine you are characters in Shakespeare. What will the fool whisper to the Queen about your romance?

barefootlife

As I see it, it could be both. Sometimes the beginnings of relationships have missteps and embarrassments, but that doesn't stop them from being the beginning of something good. Maybe she's going to hit a time of feeling foolish and naive before things fall into place.

That said, I'd look carefully at which cups you pulled, and whether his mature KoH nature and Temperance might be that he's a figure who balances out her Fool and Star, which is bright and hopeful but may also be a dream out of her grasp.

Rachx

Hi there I see the fool as the court jester -the court jester historically taking on the role of being the joker in the court. But I don't think the jester is foolhardy- quite the opposite. The jester was always in court and had the ear of everyone in the court he could come and go as he pleased and had the direct line to the ear of the king.
i think it takes intelligence to be a joker. I see the fool here as having the ear of the king and she is just "acting out" I agree with barefoot that the beginnings of relationships have us all acting like a fool but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with that. I think she is young a bit naive because she is in love - with a mature man who may feel beneficent toward her xx

Ruby Jewel

Hi again,

Take a chance and be the Fool, but she will have to "Temper" it a bit for this guy....keep a lid on the "crazies."

Barleywine

The Fool is sometimes described as a "tabula rasa," a blank slate upon which any conceivable future can be written. But the problem with "writing our own script" is that we frequently have a fool for an editor. A sense of perspective can be missing that allows for a distorted view of the road ahead. If every journey starts with a single step, care should be taken that the first one doesn't land on thin air. So there is a cautionary note as well as a hopeful one with the Fool.