8 Cups

poivre

What feeling do you get when this card shows up?

I get an empty heart feeling. There are still lots of
love with the cups sitting upright but not the love
you want or need.
Searching for a lost emotion?

Rachey

It changes slightly depending on the read and position etc

Generally I see it as leaving your old emotion behind, leaving the past and moving on.

Aeon418

Rachey said:
Generally I see it as leaving your old emotion behind, leaving the past and moving on.
Yeah, I see that. But I also see it as turning your back on things that you shold be facing up to. Sort of like walking away from a situation and leaving someone else to clean up the mess.

Sulis

I see it as saying: You've had enough, whether you know it or not, it's time to put things in order and move on.
I think the message of this card is to know what to take with you on your journey and what to leave behind.

Sulis xx

Grizabella

I don't see it as leaving a mess. The cups are all stacked up neatly and the person is setting off from there to move on to other things. I see it as a card of relief that a messy, tough emotional time has been all worked through and is being put behind us in a healthy way as we set off toward whatever comes next. It gives me a feeling of relief.

Aeon418

Ever looked at the pots and pans in the sink and thought, "Urgh ! I'll do 'em tomorrow, I'm off to bed". That's the 8 of cups to me. ;)

rcb30872

Aeon418 said:
Ever looked at the pots and pans in the sink and thought, "Urgh ! I'll do 'em tomorrow, I'm off to bed". That's the 8 of cups to me. ;)
Hmmmmmm! I wouldn't see that as an Eight of Cups moment at all. I would say that would be more a Pentacle moment, probably Seven! I mean afterall, it is not that you are NOT going to do them ever, just not going to do it right now.
Lyric said:
I don't see it as leaving a mess. The cups are all stacked up neatly and the person is setting off from there to move on to other things. I see it as a card of relief that a messy, tough emotional time has been all worked through and is being put behind us in a healthy way as we set off toward whatever comes next. It gives me a feeling of relief.
I will have to agree. I would say that it is just leaving the past behind you and in a search for a better future. Whether it is in a relationship, it could be a marriage or a romantic relationship, maybe in a friendship. I think that the person has come to the conclusion that even though they may love the person still, they are better off without them in their lives as there may be some sort of negative emotional situation happening. It could be a whole manner of things, but I'm sure that each and every one of you could think of something that this would mean.

Bec

Imagemaker

Since it comes between the imaginings/dreamings of the 7 and the satisfaction of the 9, I often see is as realizing what's stacked up is not enough and the person is off to get what he really wants/needs.

squeakmo9

I got this card in a three card spread for past, present, future in regards to where a relationship situation was going. Having seen it, I felt that I had truly overextended myself. I allowed myself to fall into mind games, manipulations, mixed messages (the moon/sun combo), just generally confused by this union.
I had spent much time and energy stacking these cups into place and yet it simply was not enough.
I had no choice but to cut my losses and finally move on.

rcb30872

squeakmo9 said:
I allowed myself to fall into mind games, manipulations, mixed messages.
Exactly what I was trying to get at!!
I think that the person has come to the conclusion that even though they may love the person still, they are better off without them in their lives as there may be some sort of negative emotional situation happening
I know what you mean. There was a guy that I saw on a not so regular basis, I somehow felt obligated to see him, and not only that I actually liked seeing him (I won't go into details). Well, anyway he was the expert at the mixed messages business. He would breeze in to my life, and breeze out again, meanwhile I felt like a complete mess, then I decided enough is enough, that I didn't want anything to do with him anymore.

I don't think that this has to just relate to romantic relationships or friendships, I think some, me included would say that it says a lot about the relationship you would have with a family member!!! I don't know what you can do in that context, maybe move as far as way from them as you can, or just a refusal to fall for the mind games and manipulations.

Bec