The Enchanted Map: 16 - Deep Freeze

GryffinSong

When looking through the deck, I keep stopping at the "Deep Freeze" card. It shows a snowy scene by a river with a frozen lion laying beside it. He's got one paw dangling in the water, and he appears to be sleeping. As if power and courage and strength are held in abeyance, gone for now, but still present, waiting for spring.

The water appears to steam where his toes touch the water. As if his strength, his energy, his warmth, is beginning to spread to the lake and all that lies beneath. His power is not gone. He is not frozen to death. He is merely frozen in time, as if one is separated from his guidance and strength for a time.

I have an urge to wake the lion, but he needs to wake slowly, at his own pace, and that of nature. This is a journey, not a destination to be forced. We need to honor our strength, honor our inner wisdom, and honor exactly where we are right now. In other words, we need to be present to the journey right now, in this moment. If the lion is wakened too quickly, thawed out too quickly, he may be harmed. Our courage may be fleeting, weak, and not quite authentic. He must thaw slowly, allowing spirit and strength and courage to waken at its own pace. What dreams might he have in this state? Is he awake? Does he hear us? Or has he slowed so much that he is in stasis, simply waiting?

I feel some sadness when I look at this card. As if the lion's state might be my doing. That through distraction and neglect, power and courage and strength have succumbed to life, instead of boldly striding through it.

Vellata

In a way this card to me seems a bit similar to Stuck in the Mud card in the same deck. However the difference is, that Lion in Deep Freeze is not even willing to move any more. He has stopped fighting the obstacles as well as that, what is impossible to fight - the natural change of seasons. In some way this card to me associates with ten of swords in tarot decks.

ana luisa

I see the Deep Freeze as a forced hiatus. You have to stop. Period. Which doe not mean that after you "thaw out" that life cannot get going. It's like a hibernation period. As to Stuck in the Mud, you're not unconscious/sleeping/waiting, and you need to get out of a situation because it is either uncomfortable or dangerous.

GypsieStone

I see the Deep Freeze as a forced hiatus. You have to stop. Period. Which doe not mean that after you "thaw out" that life cannot get going. It's like a hibernation period. As to Stuck in the Mud, you're not unconscious/sleeping/waiting, and you need to get out of a situation because it is either uncomfortable or dangerous.

I like this and I am drawn to this card and ponder over it. I like your quote Ana luisa, hits the nail on the head for me and initially I thought the Stuck in the Mud was similar to the Deep Freeze but thank you for pointing out there is a difference.