TAROT APOKALYPSIS, Eric Dunne

gregory

And why is that a problem ?

Alta

I also love Boucher's art and love Rococco. But I still don't overly care for this deck. I don't think you can completely compare them (Boucher and Dunne) and I think that has to do with the collage type of work in Dunne's deck. Boucher painted a painting, an organic whole. And it was all his work, too.

I get the appeal, in fact I have the Illuminati though don't use it any more. Not dissing his work, it is very striking, just not my cuppa. Different views, that's all.

Padma

I love that painting! Thanks for posting it, Barleywine! Have to agree it is hard to compare it with Dunne's cut and paste, but I see the point you are trying to make. However, if one enjoys reading colour and mood and detail in cards, then E. Dunne's work fits the bill. I like his decks for one-carders. There is a feast in each one. :)

Barleywine

And why is that a problem ?

It's not! It's just a matter of personal taste. I can appreciate the eye-candy while still not being able to approach it as a working deck of cards. It's way too ornate for me in that department; the symbolism gets hijacked by the ornamentation.

Barleywine

I love that painting! Thanks for posting it, Barleywine! Have to agree it is hard to compare it with Dunne's cut and paste, but I see the point you are trying to make. However, if one enjoys reading colour and mood and detail in cards, then E. Dunne's work fits the bill. I like his decks for one-carders. There is a feast in each one. :)

Now there's an idea! Maybe I will find a place for the Illuminati after all.

Barleywine

I also love Boucher's art and love Rococco. But I still don't overly care for this deck. I don't think you can completely compare them (Boucher and Dunne) and I think that has to do with the collage type of work in Dunne's deck. Boucher painted a painting, an organic whole. And it was all his work, too.

I wasn't trying to make a direct comparison, just offering an historical precedent for that more decorative style of art. It's probably more evident in the architectural motifs of that time than any of the other paintings I could find, all of which had a more classical feel.

gregory

It's not! It's just a matter of personal taste. I can appreciate the eye-candy while still not being able to approach it as a working deck of cards. It's way too ornate for me in that department; the symbolism gets hijacked by the ornamentation.
Fair enough. I find more to see in all that "stuff" - I don't actually LIKE baroque churches and stuff; I prefer them plainer - Romanesque etc - but that seems not to be a problem for me, with Dunne's cards.

Barleywine

Fair enough. I find more to see in all that "stuff"

I tried hard with the Illuminati, but with the foreground and background details fighting for dominance over nearly every square mm of surface on some cards, my eyes soon got fatgued by the sensory overload. The new one seems to be shaping up similarly but maybe slightly less over-the-top.

Libra 58

I love this deck!