Golden Thread Tarot

Amsonia

I just bought a deck called the Golden Thread Tarot. The deck was just released this week and I hadn't seen anything on the forum about it, so I thought I would start a thread.

I wondered what anyone else thought of this deck? Anyone else getting it? It is totally different from any of the Tarot Decks I have, but I think that is why I like it...that and because I'm a sucker for gold foil...

A quick overview...

The deck is super minimalistic. Black cardstock, (although the edges of the cards are white) and gold foil printing...that's it.

The creator, who I don't know but found through facebook, from something posted on a tarot trading group I think, actually designed an app first, and then did the physical deck. The app shows the same drawings but in sort of a golden yellow, plus blue...you can see some of the images from the app here (the app is free, I've only used it a couple days, so I can't really review it yet, but so far it is nice...not as nice as the fools dog apps, but the app is new too, so they are still making new features for it.) http://goldenthreadtarot.com/

The physical deck is really pretty. it comes in a very sturdy black two piece box printed in gold foil. and the card stock is really nice to my taste anyway...very sturdy and fairly slick and glossy. I like the images, they remind me of lego people or something like that...simple, minimalistic, but more than just stick people.

The facebook fanpage for this deck has less tan 50 'fans' so I'm guessing she isn't advertising there much, but there are a few more pictures of the physical deck there. https://www.facebook.com/goldenthreadtarot/info/

And for those that can't follow the links or can't see them for whatever reason...I attached a picture off their facebook page...

Attachments

• 12552584_1744125775799891_4603500711382144288_n.jpg
    12552584_1744125775799891_4603500711382144288_n.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 8,753

witchofglass

I've been following this deck on tumblr for a while and I'm really excited about it. They also finally put out an android app instead of just an apple one, which makes me happy. First tarot app I've liked enough to actually get. Can't wait to own the physical one (except yes, I can, I'm poor).

I do wish the printed deck had kept the blue-and-gold color scheme from the original digital art, though. Maybe do the blue lines in silver?

gregory

Another site that doesn't use paypal. That REALLY annoys me; I don't like giving my credit card details to sites I know nothing about. Even if they do use some "Square" system.

reall

WoW! TNX4 pointing this out!^^ imo black n gold work best!^^ and lineart look good!^^ (yeah, another gold fan!^^ lolz :))

Amsonia

Another site that doesn't use paypal. That REALLY annoys me; I don't like giving my credit card details to sites I know nothing about. Even if they do use some "Square" system.

I agree that it sucks that everybody seems to what different payment methods, but I'm very familiar with square...I'm not affiliated with square, but here is a little info about it.

Square is the company that makes the tiny square device that people use to swipe credit cards with their phone, most craft fair people are using this swipe device to take credit cards, and art festivals, music festivals, etc. It is basically the only way individual people can get access to being able to take credit card payments in person (and without a hard phone line) and not just on line which is why you see it used a lot for small businesses. If you ever see someone swipe a credit card with their phone, they are using square...I've even seen restaurants who use it, food trucks, venders at outdoor events, a clothing store near me uses it instead of traditional registers, etc.

One of the same guys who founded Twitter founded Square...

SarahJoy

This is an interesting deck. I'm on the fence about it. Part of me likes the elegant minimalism; part of me thinks it's too cutesy.

FWIW, Gregory, while I agree some non-PayPal sites can be sketchy, Square is reputable. I've been using a Square reader in my art studio for a few years now, and I can't count the number of local small businesses that use one. It's not the only phone credit card reader (PayPal and Intuit also make readers) but it's the most common and the most publically well-known, at least here in the US. They have a pretty comprehensive register system; I expect online sites using Square processing to become a lot more common, especially for businesses that do both physical and online sales.

gregory

One of the same guys who founded Twitter founded Square...
This does NOT inspire me with confidence :D Twitter is hacked regularly.

I expect online sites using Square processing to become a lot more common, especially for businesses that do both physical and online sales.
That's a shame. But it's better than contactless payment, which I will NEVER use.

Well - the postage is a bit of a killer, so I'll wait anyway.

Nica

I got two copies off their Etsy. Been seeing photos pop up on Tumblr. Really beautiful deck! I can't wait to see it in person.

witchfawn

Nica, I think it's your review that I've been watching obsessively over the last few days.

I love that this deck is so monochrome. I downloaded the app the other night and it's been great fun, and just makes me want the deck more - the only reason I haven't already ordered is because thanks to exchange rates and shipping the deck comes to over 90$ and bills are looming, weh.

FaintlyMacabre

At first you kind of lost me with like Lego people but I do see what you mean and it's not in a bad way.

Now surely there is a Lego tarot?

I think this goes in the interesting but not for me file. Thanks for showing it though.

Diana