ORACLE decks you've gone BACK and FORTH on

Amanda

Hello Amanda,

I tried to send you a PM, but wasn't allowed to. I saved the website with the full card meanings on my computer a while ago. Right now I have them in .mht files, but I can try to convert them to .pdf! :)

(I think this should be okay regarding copyright as long as I don't share them publicly? I mean, they decided to share the material for free originally.)

Ah, sorry about that! I turned off my private messages because I was getting a lot of PMs and procrastinating on school work. :D I'll fix that for you, because I would love to have those meanings...

That was a big plus for me. I really enjoyed the cards, I just wasn't using them much at the time and a friend wanted them and I thought well, I can always get another.

I just jumped over the site and see what you mean, Amanda. I always thought it was so cool they offered so much for free. I would tell people they could get what they needed from the site. I never bought the book.

But I do think they are a great system and have read with them on numerous occasions and may get them back one day.

Yes, I loved the site!
I definitely appreciate the forethought put into a product that essentially sets the consumer up to have everything on hand in one purchase. Having to make another purchase for a fuller experience grinds on my gears a bit. It seems too much like "old school" business practices to keep customers on the line and throwing money at you. I think I do recall getting the deck and being a little disappointed with the short meanings that came with it, but danieljuk told me about the site, and that was great! I was so disappointed when I went to access it one day and there was nothing there... :(

Thanks for the heads-up, Amanda. I find the best oracle decks more amenable to free-association, so I don't pay a lot of attention to the creator's suggestions anyway. I do like the imagery and may still buy it.

I just like to know approximately what the creators intended for the card. That's why I have no interest in buying a full book. :D I really don't have a lot of time to read anything else with college texts, academic journals, Forbes magazine and whatnot, so the quicker I can get into a deck the better... but I still like to see some background and intent. My kind of "study" of a deck is more like active research... :D

Me, pulls some cards: Okay, well it looks like this..
(Refers to text): ...but it says this...
Me looking again: ...but okay, I can see the difference between what it looks like and what it's supposed to mean. Now this other cards seems to pick up on...

New and developmental meanings come through those gaps for me and weaving through the logic with my feelings. I like to have some 'structure' even if it's a crappy creator opinion. :laugh:

greatdane

Amanda

I agree with the lwb on PsyCards, but then I don't really care for most lwb's. I WISH the site would go back to the way it was as it was perfect and I was actually surprised that they "gave" away so much info, as, let's face it, MOST deck publishers/creators don't.

I did think it was a wondrous deck esp for the money and will likely get it again.

Barleywine

My kind of "study" of a deck is more like active research... :D

Me, pulls some cards: Okay, well it looks like this..
(Refers to text): ...but it says this...
Me looking again: ...but okay, I can see the difference between what it looks like and what it's supposed to mean. Now this other cards seems to pick up on...

And then there's:

Me, after contemplation: Well, they're obviously wrong :D

lark

This deck:
Universal Wisdom
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/universal-wisdom-oracle/
First here is another pump 'em out deck...he/she creates a lot of decks.
Second too much religious symbolism for my tastes.

I have no idea where this deck came from...I don't remember buying it.
I don't think it came in a trade...and when I was baby sitting, my granddaughter used to spread these cards all over the floor.
Consequently one is missing, I counted them the other day.
They don't even stay with my other cards...they live on a shelf in a toy cupboard, next to a squeaky turtle and a magic baby orange juice bottle.
I pay this deck no mind, I have no interest in it, I forget about it for months at a time.

BUT....every time I do pull it out and do a reading with it it gives the most direct, exact, accurate answers.
And this really frustrates me...
For 2 reasons...
I'd like to just get rid of it, but I can't because it is too spookily accurate.
And 2 then why don't I like it!!!!
I mean come on... there are some absolutely beautiful oracle decks in my collection why can't it be one of those that are so accurate????
Instead some of them read like the Japanese directions for you cell phone.

So I go back and forth and forth and back with it...

greatdane

Wow Lark

Excellent example of back and forth....I can see the frustration, but then...when you get such great readings. Why is it the decks we are often most drawn to aren't always the best readers for us? I know, a rhetorical question.

danieljuk

There is an old AT study group for the psycards here, I found it a few months ago from years ago! I still love them! Having a book that goes with them has really helped their usage for me.

I think this topic depends on why are you going back and forth before you bought a deck. A few of my tarot decks and now one oracle were limited editions and pricey! I thought about them for a while before buying them and even discussed them with friends, that reason was a practical reason. They were expensive. However those few I bought I love but I had to think if I should go for them!

There is two oracle decks that I went back and forth on because I was not sure if they appealed to me. When I was thinking of buying them I wasn't sure, but people were using them all over AT a lot! I bought them and ended up disappointed! I don't hate them, I won't trade them away yet and they give me good readings but they are disappointing to me compared to my other oracles. They are the Power Animals Oracle and Enchanted Map. I wish I had listened to my intuition because I do regret buying them.

If you are going back and forth on a deck because you are not sure you will like it or the art, I would recommend saving your money unless you can see the deck in person. I think there is other decks you will connect with better!

Emily

I think the Ocean Oracle is one that I have a love/hate relationship with. I bought this kit quite a few years ago now and as soon as I received it I knew I was in over my head. This deck has 200 different cards, a sheet to use and a system to learn. Not quite what I was looking for in an uncomplicated, simple to use Oracle deck. But I also love the cards - each has a different shell and it beautiful.

Also in its favour, the creater of the oracle has a lovely website where you can learn to use the oracle and learn a lot more about seashells. :)

Barleywine

Taking off from danieljuk's comment, I think I go back-and-forth on every deck I buy. The most enticing ones go on the wish-list, where they either "ripen" or "wither." I keep a beady eye on the discussions here at AT to see how they fare over time. Some I finally buy after much deliberation and still regret it, but maybe less than I would have. It's not the"wasted" money (at least not primarily), it's the wasted time and the disappointment that get to me most. Oracle decks are still in an experimental phase for me, so I'm trying to find a couple of good "building-block" decks. Oracle of Visions wasn't it.

AfrodeityStone

Earth Magic Oracle Cards

I like this deck...I don't like this deck. I love this deck, ...this deck is BOOOORIIING...

I struggle with this deck because it was recommended by a friend. I found it extremely useful when I was studying Shamanism...it is very connected in that way but once my Shamanic studies were over and I elevated on to other teachings, the deck seemed to be less effective. I often try to pull it out just to see if I can connect. I have learned that my decks work with me according to my energy. A "culture theme" specific oracle deck will only work for me if I am inside that paradigm but once I'm out...it's temporarily lost.

This always weighs heavily on the fact that my guides told me a long time ago to let my decks come to me, instead of looking for them. I appreciate my friend but since then, I only choose decks that call me...

The Earth Magic deck will probably be used as a giveaway item on my YouTube channel. I have given SEVERAL decks away like that :)